BayouShooter Ad Available
Sulzer Firearms
Brownell's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cypress knees

Marksman

cypress knees

my neighbor has a cypress tree in their yard. the knees are sprouting up in my yard and dulling the mower blade(and my toes!)

how do i get rid of them?

Lol

The neighbors?
    That's easy uh the knees...........??????
    " Peace Bee with U!"

I was gonna post the same question. I have two cypress in my front yard and I HATE them. I can't even use my mower anymore on 1/2 the yard and the leaves are impossible to rake.

Wealthy women wanted

Gold Member
    I could be wrong but I think it is illegal to cut cypress knees. But that may apply to wild areas and not residential areas. Doesn't matter though because they will keep coming back if there is a tree nearby

Quote Originally Posted by sandman7925 View Post
    I could be wrong but I think it is illegal to cut cypress knees. But that may apply to wild areas and not residential areas. Doesn't matter though because they will keep coming back if there is a tree nearby
    AFAIK it's only illegal to cut waterborn cypress.

tactical hangover

Premium Member
    good luck..

XD 45
    I have the same problem. I have 2 cypress trees on the left side of my yard. The people who lived there before me let the area under them get overgrown really bad so my wife and I have it cut down and neat looking but it's pretty much useless. I'm eventually going to put a dirt pad down and put a shed between the cypress trees to make some use of that area.

Tractor with box blade. Just pops them right up. Sometimes needs a little trimming after. Don't use heavy weed killer, the tree will soak it up.

Drill a hole in each of them and pour in some round-up. That'll take care of the knees...and probably the tree

Marksman
    i like the killing the tree idea too.

no way to get any tractor in there. its too tight. my roomates biggest concern is knees are going to put holes in his pool.

"It's no big deal,...."

Premium Member
    Chainsaw?
    I never met a deadly weapon that I didn't like.

Ya'll be Cool, Right On

Quote Originally Posted by jhans504 View Post
    Drill a hole in each of them and pour in some round-up. That'll take care of the knees...and probably the tree
    Roundup works by moving through the leaves of plant life. You would need to spray the needles on a Cyprus.
    I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

Call a cabinet maker and turn them into something useful

Marksman

Premium Member
    For unwanted roots in my yard I use a sawzall with a long blade. Just cut the root in sections and yank them up. The sawzall is good practice for firing full autos
    I'm a pistol packing vegetarian. I believe in keeping my options open.

Marksman
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckYou View Post
    Roundup works by moving through the leaves of plant life. You would need to spray the needles on a Cyprus.
    Triclopyr in those drilled holes might work though. Maybe 2-4D

On Target.....Sometimes Praesul Presul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paddle007 View Post
    The sawzall is good practice for firing full autos
    Apparently we have had similar experiences............

90% of Americans agree the President is a P.O.S. and Biden is Captain Douchebag
    Hey if they can make numbers up, so can I.

Don't kill the tree, let it grow. We need more trees. The Cypress is a beautiful tree.

The Cypress is related to the Giant Redwood tree and will get as big as they do but it takes many hundreds of years.

Of course, this is a free country and you gotta do what you gotta do.

Expert in the field of wife avoidance

Premium Member
    Chainsaw with a chain you didn't really like anyway is easiest. Cuts them at ground level, and in my yard, kept them below the mower blade for close to 2 years. Your chain, however, will be pretty much unusable after due to the dirt/sand dulling the edges.
    - David -
    USPSA #A74215

Sarcasm. Just another fine service I offer.

Marksman
    Stump grinder??

Marksman
    ive got an angle grinder, i might try that.