Fire Mission - Ask Jindal to VETO Hb 523

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    LSA's legislative liaison drafted this for the association. I just requested that it be forwarded to the LSA membership and be added to its web page. Feel free to use it.

Please write Governor Jindal at http://www.gov.la.gov/index.cfm?md=form&tmp=email_governor and request that he veto HB 523 relative to prohibiting possession of firearms within 1000’ of a parade route.

Suggested content for letter:

The Honorable Bobby Jindal, Governor:

As a Louisiana gun owner, I respectfully request that you veto House Bill 523 for the following reasons:

The bill unfairly restricts the lawful activities of concealed carry permit holders by banning their presence within 1,000 feet of a parade for which a permit has been issued. As this distance is so great, law abiding citizens blocks away from a parade route who are not even attending the parade will be left without a legitimate means of self defense.

The penalties are draconian in that mere possession of a firearm within this expansive distance will render one subject to felony prosecution. House Bill 44 by Rep. LaFonta which you have already signed into law more appropriately addresses the issues of irresponsible conduct at parades and does not penalize responsible citizens who may be nearly a quarter of a mile away from a parade.

Gun owners were in favor of HB 523 as it was initially passed by the House; however, the conference committee significantly amended the bill and removed several provisions designed to protect concealed carry permit holders from prosecution under the bill.

Sincerely,

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Thanks guys. It is a long shot, but it would demonstrate gun owners' strength if we could get Jindal to veto it.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I sent my email yesterday:

Dear Governor Jindal:

It has come to my attention that HB 523 was amended in conference committee, in the closing days of the recent session, to outlaw the carrying of firearms at parades (including handguns carried by citizens to whom the State of Louisiana has issued a concealed handgun permit).

As you are probably aware, similar language was deleted from other bills in the face of strong opposition by citizens and the NRA. This "backdoor" approach has no public support, and in fact is an insult to those of us who have taken firearms training courses and have passed criminal background investigations as part of the state's Concealed Handgun Permit process.

I do not recall hearing you articulate your position on gun control and our Second Amendment rights. However I believe we already have enough gun control laws on the books -- and thus I respectfully urge you to veto this bill.

Dan's suggested email is excellent -- he is far more eloquent than I. But I don't think we want every email to be "word for word" identical. The main goal is to get everyone to send an email -- and if they can change a few words here and there, it would be lagniappe.

Letter and emails are better than phone calls, but if you are at work (for example) and can't send an email, call either of these numbers and your request for a veto of HB 523 will be logged in and added to the tabulation. 225-342-7015 or 866-366-1121. Operators are standing by.

Above all -- whether you write or call -- be polite and professional. We don't want to look like a bunch of the prototypical "gun nuts."

Last edited:

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Sent mine this morning. I forgot about HB 44, Dan. That was a good idea mentioning that. The original version of that bill had the possesion part deleted along the way, leaving it as an enhanced penalty for existing law. The Governor can use that to put a good face on the veto.

Top Bottom