Two permit holders try to make a citizen's arrest

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Petit theft, now they can both can be charged with assault.

What a ****ing mess!:rolleyes:

CLICK for VID
    UPDATE: Two men brandish guns during citizen's arrest in Boise

BOISE -- A bizarre turn of events Friday afternoon in downtown Boise after a man steals another man's duffle bag.

Two bystanders pulled their guns to stop the crime.

Police say what started this was a case of petit theft.

One man is now accused of stealing a bag from a homeless man near the corner of Americana Boulevard and River Street.

Misunderstanding could lead to assault charges

It was after this occurred that Paul Brookhouse stepped in to make a citizens arrest.

He now faces possible felony charges.

"Somewhat confusing when it all was wrapped up," said Lt. Ron Winegar with the Boise Police Department.

On Friday afternoon just before one, Brookhouse says he witnessed a crime.

"The other guy grabbed a bag, a duffle bag and started running across the street. The one gentleman turned around and started yelling, ‘stop hey, stop that's my stuff’," Brookhouse said.

Brookhouse pulled his car over and intervened.

But in the heat of the moment this concealed weapons permit holder made an erroneous claim.

"I pulled my weapon and I told the gentleman, I made a mistake here, I said, "Boise Police. Stop. You're under arrest." So, he did, I asked him to get on the ground, we did all the hands behind your back thing. I frisked him and then held him at gun point until the police department got here," Brookhouse said.

Police identified the man Brookhouse stopped as 46-year-old John Dickey.

But before police arrived another man driving by saw Brookhouse holding Dickey at gun point.

He too held a concealed weapons permit.

"Saw that taking place and thought there was a crime happening and so he intervened, pulling his handgun and trying to detain the first citizen who had pulled the handgun to try and detain the initial suspect," Winegar said.

When police arrived they had both men put down their guns.

"While this citizen, this subject had good intentions in helping out with the crime, we just want everybody to be careful and realize the consequences of pulling a handgun, even if you have a legal and lawful permit,” Winegar said. ”It's always probably a better idea to be a good witness and call us and let us intervene.”

Brookhouse admitted to police he told the man that he was an officer.

He said it just came out because he wanted to stop him.

Because he said that, Brookhouse could face felony charges of impersonating a police officer.

He and the other man who drew his weapon could also face aggravated assault charges.

That decision will be left to the Ada County Prosecuting Attorney's Office.

It's important to mention that neither of the men who drew their guns were arrested.

As for the suspected thief, John Dickey, he is charged with misdemeanor petit theft.

Boise Police say they are grateful that citizens jumped in to help stop a crime.

At the same time, they say that the guns didn't need to be involved, especially with this type of crime.

"If a police officer were making an arrest for petty theft or misdemeanor theft and pulled his gun and pointed it at someone with no apparent reason to do so, then we would certainly be under pretty heavy review for doing that," Winegar said.
    http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/stories/ktvbn-jul1709-citizen_arrest.4e0b1fd0.html

:)

Last edited:

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    Well, if they had been OC'ing with crossdraw holsters the perp would have given himself up sooner and our Constitutional rights would once again be safe. :mamoru:

Last edited:

NitroX

You can't fix stupid.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Panama City, FL
    Stories like this will increase as more and more ppl get permits to carry. It's only a matter of time (look at all the ccw permits our state is back logged with).
    And soon there will also be a report of some dude robbing a bank, or whatever that was a permit holder.
    Simple logic explains that, the more permits issued will eventually flow over to someone doing something stupid that's a valid permit holder and then will reflect bad on the rest of us.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    ....."While this citizen, this subject had good intentions in helping out with the crime, we just want everybody to be careful and realize the consequences of pulling a handgun, even if you have a legal and lawful permit,” Winegar said. ”It's always probably a better idea to be a good witness and call us and let us intervene.”.....

Uhhhhh, OK.:confused::squint:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    ....."While this citizen, this subject had good intentions in helping out with the crime, we just want everybody to be careful and realize the consequences of pulling a handgun, even if you have a legal and lawful permit,” Winegar said. ”It's always probably a better idea to be a good witness and call us and let us intervene.”.....

Uhhhhh, OK.:confused::squint:

Actually that is corerct. No life was indanger, and the theft was Petit. I would not have intervened as a citizen. At least not drawn down. Too many liabilities over a strangers bag.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    Agreed these two guys went overboard. Can you even make a citizens arrest for less than a felony crime? Probably not advisable. As far as impersonating a police officer, as long as no law abiding citizens get compromised on account of the ruse, it's probably a non-issue if it brought the bad guys down. Not the kind of thing I would make a habit of, but certainly not out of the realm of possibilities, either. Most prospective felons are reluctant to shoot a cop, and will give it up, whereas they may not with a civilian. So you fool some crook's dumb ass to get the upper hand. Who's complaining?

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Actually that is corerct. No life was indanger, and the theft was Petit. I would not have intervened as a citizen. At least not drawn down. Too many liabilities over a strangers bag.

Right, neither would I. The comment itself just kinda struck me wrong in itself. Not so much in the context of this story. I shoulda been clearer.

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Definitely a duffel bag is not worth drawing down or impersonating an officer. If there is not a threat to someone's life, don't draw. I wouldn't draw to stop a fight between men. I might if one were pummeling the other after the other was unconcious.

Threat to a life...or no draw.

mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    Definitely a duffel bag is not worth drawing down or impersonating an officer. If there is not a threat to someone's life, don't draw. I wouldn't draw to stop a fight between men. I might if one were pummeling the other after the other was unconcious.

Threat to a life...or no draw.

i agree...unless youre gonna lose life or limb i aint helping ya...:p

Top Bottom