Doc added***FL permits no longer honored in LA....it's official.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I spoke with Sgt Reavis of the LSP CHP division for the last hour about the non-resident permit issue. PLEASE DO NOT CALL HIM. I DO NOT LIE:o He asked me to pass along the following.......

1. FL non-resident permits are no longer valid in LA effective immediately. THERE IS NO GRANDFATHERING. YOUR CURRENT FL NON-RESIDENT PERMIT IS NO LONGER HONORED IN LA. The agreement was signed this week and he is waiting to receive it in the mail.

2. Utah reciprocity agreements are being reviewed. The same basic rules will apply same as FL.

3. Both amendments will be posted on the LSP CHP New Info" link when the Utah final decision is received. He anticipates this to happen in the next 1-2 weeks.

4. FL NON-RESIDENT permits are no longer valid.

INSTUCTORS....stay tuned. He is planning an instructor meet and greet at LSP HQ tentatively scheduled for the first week of NOV. He will email and call instructors to notify them. He plans to introduce himself and clear up a few trouble areas.

Copies of agreement as provided by Meisal from Florida through Freedom of Information Act (which is pretty freaking fast if I do say so myself )

Last edited:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    That's absolute hogwash if it is the case. Give people the official word and some time at the very least!

Florida is still on the list?
    http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html#recip

What does the mean for LA residents wanting to carry in FL? I guess that's the end of reciprocity.

Non-resident being the key word here. I'm not even familiar if LA issues non-resident permits and I can't really see Florida removing reciprocity for Resident LA permits when we only removed reciprocity for non.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    The sh*tty thing about this is that if they have ONLY disallowed Florida NON-resident permits, as has been reported, then it's all about the money, pure and simple. They just want to get the $$ that Louisiana residents have been sending to Florida.

If it were about training, then they would stop recognizing ALL Florida permits, as there is no difference in training requirements for Florida resident and non-resident permits.

Already got our LA packets and fingerprints, so it's now off to the next class we can make, then waiting for our CHP's...

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    The sh*tty thing about this is that if they have ONLY disallowed Florida NON-resident permits, as has been reported, then it's all about the money, pure and simple. They just want to get the $$ that Louisiana residents have been sending to Florida.

If it were about training, then they would stop recognizing ALL Florida permits, as there is no difference in training requirements for Florida resident and non-resident permits.

Already got our LA packets and fingerprints, so it's now off to the next class we can make, then waiting for our CHP's...

Yes and no. I believe It's more about LA residents going FL to circumvent LA's training requirements.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    The reality is, a lot of people are going to continue to carry until they get their LA permit in 6-8 months.

I hope they do not use their firearm in self-defense while ILLEGALLY CARRYING A CONCEALED FIREARM. Not only will they be looking at a lengthly prison term for that felony, but the family of the BG will most certainly win almost any civil suit they pursue.

It is a **** samwich guys , no matter how you look at it. We told you it was coming.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Ok, so FL resident permit are still good and reciprocity will remain intact, I assume.
    I'm not sure about that. Notice #4 in the original post:

4. FL permits are no longer valid.

Nolacop - Does this (#4) mean ALL Florida permits? Item #1 specifically addresses FL non-resident permits, leaving me to wonder if #4 applies to resident permits as well.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom