"Safety Bullets"?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    Not sure what section to post this in.

Does anyone think this product - "Safety Bullet" - makes any sense??? http://www.ccwsupply.biz/SafetyBulletPAGE.htm

It's a plastic bullet that you chamber in your home defense handgun. Then, if your child finds the gun and pulls the trigger, it purposefully jams the weapon. To clear the jam, you have to drop the mag, insert a rod and bang the plastic plug out. If it has not been "fired," you rack the slide to eject the "safety bullet" and chamber a live round.

Of course, you may not know that your child has jammed your pistol until a BG is coming down the hall. And there is no way to prevent the child from racking the slide and chambering a live round - and then firing the gun!

What do you guys think? Useful product?

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Stupid. It encourages laziness. All home self defense weapons can be safely kept away from a child. It may not be as easy as opening a drawer on the nightstand but it can be done. A product that sidesteps diligence allows a parent to relax around their children with firearms present and this is where accidents occur.

Not to mention you will run the risk of a jam yourself.

Last edited:

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Dumb idea.

For all the reasons stated. Younger children? Several other ways to handle that.

Older kids? 6 or so and up? TEACH them from that point on.

Just my .02 (but I raised 3 in a house FULL of guns, loaded guns at that).

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Dumb idea.

For all the reasons stated. Younger children? Several other ways to handle that.

Older kids? 6 or so and up? TEACH them from that point on.

Just my .02 (but I raised 3 in a house FULL of guns, loaded guns at that).

Good distinction. I slapped a general "children" down. But you make a good point at the differences in age. :)

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Good distinction. I slapped a general "children" down. But you make a good point at the differences in age. :)

Gracias Mrs. C.

What I did do was, when they got to older ages, was take them out with a .22 handgun or rifle and do some shooting. During that FIRST outing, I'd also have either a watermelon or a grapefruit. And I'd have a .357 magnum along too. Get them close and have them shoot the fruit with the magnum.

Then tell them, "now imagine that was Mommy, or "X" (insert dog name here), or "Y" (insert best friends name here) and you can see now what would happen to THEM if they got shot". Eyes get wide. Point gets made. Lesson gets learned.

And you STILL got to watch them like hawks. :)

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    How is it any different than just leaving the chamber empty? You have to rack the slide either way, except this introduces the possibility of jamming your gun at a time when you'd like it not to be.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I must have missed the original discussion. Their idea is stupid. Now, in theory, I wouldn't mind having a few real (as in riot police issued) plastic bullets.

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    If anyone can get to your firearm and pull the trigger, you're not storing your firearms safetly. What if the child has seen you rack the slide and then shoot. Don't you think she would use you as an example and do the same? Then what?

I do feel that like all things safety, Your Brain is the primary safety for all things.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    None in the chamber is just as good as a dud.

Regardless of anyone else's feelings on the matter, I keep mine empty chamber because I figure if I'm in a situation where I need to shoot someone, racking the slide is worth the extra few hundred milliseconds in the sense that at least I'll know what I'm doing.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    How is it any different than just leaving the chamber empty? You have to rack the slide either way, except this introduces the possibility of jamming your gun at a time when you'd like it not to be.

I think the point is to scar the **** out of the child first and also render your gun inoperable. It would be equivalent to using an air horn that would deafen your child as it approached an electric socket with a metal eating utensil. Makes sense in my mind.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I think the point is to scar the **** out of the child first and also render your gun inoperable. It would be equivalent to using an air horn that would deafen your child as it approached an electric socket with a metal eating utensil. Makes sense in my mind.

There's no powder charge, only a primer, and it sounds like the hammer/striker falling on an empty chamber. Only it jams up the gun.

You actually get two "safety bullets" per package, and the idea is to load one in the chamber and one on the top of the mag. That way, if the kid works the slide and pulls the trigger, it's the same as simply pulling the trigger the first time. Of course, if he works it twice...

This is just double the potential for someone under stress to jam up their gun at the worst possible moment, IMHO. The first thing I said when I saw a package was just how dangerous they were, as opposed to safe. You could train your way through having the work the slide twice before engaging, but... why would you want to?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Just to play devil's advocate... if an intruder managed to get ahold of your gun with their safety bullet in place it might give you an advantage.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Just to play devil's advocate... if an intruder managed to get ahold of your gun with their safety bullet in place it might give you an advantage.

This was actually the one advantage I saw, but not at all what the product is geared towards. It's also the least likely scenario in a home defense situation, as the intruder is probably going to be armed with a firearm of their own. Not sure where to look for statistics on that, but I'd be willing to bet that it's pretty high.

The best thing I can say is that they are an inexpensive option that's "faster" than a gun lock, but less safe at the same time. With the host of touch pad pistol safes on the market, this would be my last choice. Realistically, there are two loaded weapons in the house-- a sidearm that never leaves my hip/immediate reach, and the bedside 870. When children are in the house, the 870 goes empty and away; the .45 stays in its holster, at my side. Even the empty guns are locked up tight at that point.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom