10/22 build

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dababy1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 3, 2021
    Amite, la
    Hey guys, my girl has a pretty basic 10/22. Wood stock,stainless receiver and pencil barrel. 100% stock.

What's the best route to get this thing set up with a nice bull barrel, stock and trigger?

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I like lightweight bull barrels like ones from Kidd, Whistle Pig, or Tacsol.

For stocks, I like the Magpul but there are plenty of wood stocks like Boyds etc.

Triggers you can go with Volquartsen, Ruger BX, or Brimstone does great work on triggers as whole units are hard to come by right now. I also like Hornet Custom.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Send it to CPC in Connecticut for his full tuneup. Look up the company on the internet and see his offerings. You can also buy the parts and do it yourself. Tge quickest way to start is buy the BXtrigger from Ruger and drop it in and your gun will shoot better right away.

civiltiger07

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 20, 2017
    Brusly
    I would get a Tactical Solutions/Whistle Pig barrel and depending how old your daughter is a stock that can adjust so the gun can fit her while she grows.

From my experience the Kidd barrels are more accurate than the Whistle Pig or Tactical Solutions barrels but the KIDD is also heavier.

Another option is you can take the stock gun and send it Clark's Custom Guns for the 10/22 Accuracy Package. Will be the best bang for you buck.

Accuracy Work | Clark Custom Guns

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Not a lot to go on but I'll assume that you are talking about a daughter? Relatively small frame? If so, start with a stock to fit. If she is really small I'd go with a youth stock from Brownells at https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/rifle-stocks/ruger-10-22-raised-youth-stock-sporter-wood-brown-sku984000002-97233-37507.aspx with a high comb for use with a scope. If open sights then they have that too: https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...2-standard-youth-stock-sporter-prod16635.aspx. Both have an approximate 11 inch length of pull. Both are for a standard pencil barrel which would let you try it out with your current configuration. When you get a bull-barrel, only takes about 30 minutes with sandpaper and a 1" dowel (think an old broom handle) to clearance it to fit the larger barrel.

If she is a little larger then a Magpul X22 Hunter stock might be more appropriate, with an adjustable length of pull from 12" on up to around 14" with the included spacers. You can also select an optional higher cheekpiece (my grandson uses the 1/2 riser and granddaughter the 3/4 riser (both out of the "High" cheekpiece option), The low cheekpiece option has a 1/4 inch and a 1/2 inch riser. https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/rifle-stocks/ruger-10-22-hunter-x-22-stock-adjustable-prod79484.aspx The good thing about this stock is that it will work with a pencil barrel OR a bull barrel, just by flipping over the internal barrel channel. Out of stock at Brownells at the moment but available from multiple sources.

IMG_6002.jpgIMG_5788.jpg

Now for the rest: Some excellent suggestions so far to have the trigger tuned by CPC/Brimstone//Clark, or buying a BX. All will work. A simple route would be to just buy a Volquartsen or Clark Hammer (only). This will drop the usual horrible 10/22 trigger pull to the 3-4 pound range. Do the bolt hold-open modification yourself with a file or dremel tool (search for youtube videos) add a plastic or rubber (steel core) buffer pin, and you are good to go.

Excellent bull barrels come from Clark or Kidd (and other sources) but I prefer Whistlepig, have three so far.

IMG_5516.jpgIMG_5519.jpgIMG_5513.jpg

Last edited:

Dababy1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 3, 2021
    Amite, la
    Thanks for the heads up guys,and yes this is for my wife.

What's the word on carbon barrels thees days? Or stick with fluted stainless?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The carbon wrapped bull barrels have been good to me. Lightweight and accurate.
    And second what Labeeman said about the BX trigger. I don’t know why people spend way more money on the others when the Ruger assembly is so sweet, affordable and ready to go. Usually can find them around 60 bucks. Just remove the stock, push the receiver pins out and change the entire assembly in a few seconds.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    the Ruger BX Trigger is damn good. And it's under $100
    Second that. Half of mine I bought in the $50’s
    I usually tell people, you can spend a couple hundred on Volquartsen and work harder so you can brag about how much you’ve got invested in a .22 or you can buy the BX trigger, drop it in and you’ve got a solid 2.5 lb factory target trigger that you’ll love and never have a problem with. I’m amazed at how many will still opt for the Volquartsen

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Second that. Half of mine I bought in the $50’s
    I usually tell people, you can spend a couple hundred on Volquartsen and work harder so you can brag about how much you’ve got invested in a .22 or you can buy the BX trigger, drop it in and you’ve got a solid 2.5 lb factory target trigger that you’ll love and never have a problem with. I’m amazed at how many will still opt for the Volquartsen
    Kind of the same deal with barrels. You can buy a target barrel directly from ruger for $100 blued and $130 Stainless. It gets more pricey if you want threaded for some reason they charge a little over $100 more but all and all they still come in much cheaper than other aftermarket barrels.

Imo ruger makes some exceptional barrels. My 10/22 and Ruger pc carbine both have hammer forged barrels that are more accurate than I am. When I first got my ruger pc carbine in 9mm I was shocked at how accurate store bought 9mm was. You always here people saying store bought 9mm fmj isn’t very accurate. I can’t even fathom shooting a 50 yard group with all rounds touching out of a pistol. I do it often out of the 16.1” hammer forged ruger pc carbine barrel.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Victor Titan stock is really good because of the bedding

BX trigger is a great value for the price. It's a good all around trigger-plinking/hunting. The very pricey ones will outperform it in competition or bench shooting. If you're not doing that, BX is fine.

The Ruger target barrels are good. They always had good accuracy for me, just so darn heavy. That's why I prefer the whistle pig. Also check out FJ Feddersen

Saint Peter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    morgan city, la
    I dropped mine off at Clarks for their accuracy package does fine job of hitting targets if I do my part the trigger is also worked as part of package

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom