100 gr broadhead

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    My son is interested in bowhunting so I bought him a Barnett RC150 crossbow to start with.
    I upgraded the bolts to Barnett Outdoors Carbon Crossbow 20-Inch Arrows http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AVE2U?refRID=V8RZRPJQXT17QPEAHVVF&ref_=pd_bia_yo_t_5.
    I need to buy some braodheads for him to hunt with.
    I need a 100 grain braodhead. What are some good choices?

A couple I am concidering:

Mechanical:
    http://www.amazon.com/Grim-Reaper-W...3103634&sr=1-33&keywords=broadheads+100+grain

http://www.amazon.com/New-Archery-P...3105050&sr=1-30&keywords=broadheads+100+grain

Fixed:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Ringer-R...6&sr=8-13&keywords=fixed+broadheads+100+grain

http://www.amazon.com/Grim-Reaper-H...7&sr=8-14&keywords=fixed+broadheads+100+grain

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    They all kill!

I use and like Hellrazors for fixed, and am trying Rage 2 mechanicals for the first time this year. I have never used mechanicals in my life, so we'll see.

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    I've used mechanicals pretty much for the last 15+ yrs.
    That model x bow's speed is @ 250 fps, so those mechanicals "could" work with that Xbow...however, they are three blade heads. Just my opinion....at that speed, in order to insure good penetration, (pass through) I would suggest looking for a 2 blade mechanical. Down the road, if you were to upgrade to a faster x bow, I caution you to verify that whatever mechanical you go with, that it will not partially open in flight due to the acceleration/speed of the bolt.
    Ex: I use mechanicals, either a 100gr Gator (no
    longer available) or Rage for my bow, which is @ 321 fps.
    I then went with a 125 Jackhammer for my X bow due to the Gator/Rage opening in flight due to the faster acceleration/speed of this x bow ( @ 407 fps) That 125gr 3 blade jackhammer moving at that speed is just plain devastating....

Last edited:

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    I've tried a lot of broadheads over the 17 years I've been bowhunting and keep going back to 3-blade NAP Thunderheads that my dad started me off with when I was 10. I lost my biggest bow buck 2 seasons ago with a 7 yard shot due to a Rage broadhead that's blades binded and did not open completely and will never use a mechanical again. I'm done experimenting with new broadheads and will keep using simple, sharp fixed blades that have a history of getting the job done. Good luck this season gents.

http://www.amazon.com/Shockwave-Arc...111924&sr=1-7&keywords=thunderhead+broadheads

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I've tried a lot of broadheads over the 17 years I've been bowhunting and keep going back to 3-blade NAP Thunderheads that my dad started me off with when I was 10. I lost my biggest bow buck 2 seasons ago with a 7 yard shot due to a Rage broadhead that's blades binded and did not open completely and will never use a mechanical again. I'm done experimenting with new broadheads and will keep using simple, sharp fixed blades that have a history of getting the job done. Good luck this season gents.

http://www.amazon.com/Shockwave-Arc...111924&sr=1-7&keywords=thunderhead+broadheads

I too started with Thunderheads and still have some. I have never had a problem with them either. But went to the 1-piece construction of the HellRazor so the blades stay together and they are reusable. Thunderheads, like mechanicals are usually destroyed after the shot. Particularly if you hit bone!

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    What is the benefit of mechanical over fixed or fixed over mechanical?

Generally, mechanicals fly better and can create a larger wound cavity if they expand correctly.

Fixed blade have more turbulence/drag in flight, but you get the certainty of blades being fully exposed 100% of the time.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    What is the benefit of mechanical over fixed or fixed over mechanical?

Mechanicals produce bigger wounds and let more blood. Go look at videos of deer kill shots with them, its a gore fest. Now, that being said, there are some fixed blades that have some pretty large blade widths, but I would imagine the drawback of those is the space in the quiver. Not sure, really.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Fixed blade have more turbulence/drag in flight, but you get the certainty of blades being fully exposed 100% of the time.

I get the physics of this^, but as noticeable difference in arrow flight/performance? Not so much. You are going to be practicing, and hitting the spot you want, at the range you set, with what you have on the end of your arrow.

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Do you guys sight in your bow with the broadheads before going hunt?

I would not hunt without bow tuning for broadheads. Without shooting your broadheads before the season you don't know if the broadheads fly the same as your field points.

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    I have hunted with both mechanicals and fixed blade broadheads. Mechanicals fly better than fixed heads out of my bow. But I have lost deer using either of the heads, it all comes down to shot placement.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I have hunted with both mechanicals and fixed blade broadheads. Mechanicals fly better than fixed heads out of my bow. But I have lost deer using either of the heads, it all comes down to shot placement.

Surveying other "seasoned" bow hunters that I know personally and trust, mechanicals seem to be a lot more forgiving when it comes to placement than fixed. In my exclusive use of fixed blades I tend to agree with that, particularly when I actually helped some of them retrieve their mechanical BH shot animals. In some cases I was very surprised the animal even stopped running much less died from some of these shots.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Looking at the Rage Hypodermics Deep Six.

Should I get the practice tips, comes in a pack of three for $9 less than 3 tips, or just buy another set of 3 tips and use one verifying how it shoots?

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Looking at the Rage Hypodermics Deep Six.

Should I get the practice tips, comes in a pack of three for $9 less than 3 tips, or just buy another set of 3 tips and use one verifying how it shoots?

I ordered a set of 3 Rage Hypodermics Deep Six. I'll let him use one for trying on his target and have two to take hunting. I have to order another set later. Just never enough money for everything.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom