100 gr broadhead

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Surveying other "seasoned" bow hunters that I know personally and trust, mechanicals seem to be a lot more forgiving when it comes to placement than fixed. In my exclusive use of fixed blades I tend to agree with that, particularly when I actually helped some of them retrieve their mechanical BH shot animals. In some cases I was very surprised the animal even stopped running much less died from some of these shots.

The deer I have lost some were shot with Rage Three blade and the other was shot with fixed blade Magnus Stinger 4 blade. The two with the Rage, I did not get a pass through. One was a hit on the front shoulder and the other one hit the opposite shoulder. Trailed both for about 200 yards crawling on my hands and knees until we lost all signs of blood. With the Magnus Stinger I got a pass through but it was a little far back. Trailed it also but lost blood after a long way. Last year I switched to Grim Reapers and shot two hogs with them. One was a small sow about 50 pounds, didn't get a pass through because it hit the opposite front leg. Watched it die with in 30 yards of the shot. The broadhead broke the opposite front leg on impact. The other was a 150 pound boar, buried about 15 inches of the arrow in the pig. The pig made it about 40 yards before expiring. Blood trails in both cases was very easy to follow, plenty of blood. In both cases the broadheads were in perfect shape upon recovery. Honed them a little and put the back in the quiver for this year.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I've had good results with Swackers (but I shoot 125gr). They get the job done, for me.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    Surveying other "seasoned" bow hunters that I know personally and trust, mechanicals seem to be a lot more forgiving when it comes to placement than fixed. In my exclusive use of fixed blades I tend to agree with that, particularly when I actually helped some of them retrieve their mechanical BH shot animals. In some cases I was very surprised the animal even stopped running much less died from some of these shots.

Did you mean to say fixed is more forgiving than mechanical? That's kind of what I've found. With the large cutting diameter mechanicals, if everything goes right and they stay in soft tissue they can be devastating. If something goes wrong and hit bone the mechanicals seem to struggle a lot more than fixed.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Take a look at the whitetail special grim reapers. They are 100gr so in the class you are looking for, 2" cut, and truly devastating. They were originally designed for crossbows, but work very well with a compound with any velocity at all. Personally, I don't like mechanicals because most of the time I am on the ground stalking and always dealing with shooting through brush and twigs which is a crap shoot with any mechanical. I use old fashioned 2 blade fixed Magnus which are getting hard to find anymore. No float and hit very close to my field points. I noticed Ted Nugent gives them lots of love. It's rare that I don't get a solid pass through - even through both plates on a hog (no, I'm not kidding). They look like the old time Bear broadheads. Sometimes classic just works.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom