Man hit by bullet from gun range

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    http://newsok.com/article/3107736

Bullet From Police Gun Range Hits Military Veteran
    FOX News | 8/22/2007

Veteran hit by stray bullet from police gun range almost a mile away
    ABC 13 Houston (KTRK) | 8/22/2007

ELK CITY — Bill Bolechala survived 24 years in the Air Force and the Vietnam War without getting shot. So he never expected to be hit by a stray bullet from a police gun range while standing at a car dealership Tuesday in Elk City.

"It felt like someone hit me with a ball bat or like a bird struck me in the side,” said Bolechala, a Burns Flat city councilman. "I was wiping my left side because it kind of hurt, and when I looked down, I had blood all over me.”

He was getting his car serviced about 9:40 a.m. when the shooting happened.

He was taken to a local hospital, where he was released about 1:30 p.m.

Doctors left the bullet in his side but said they will remove it if the wound becomes infected, Bolechala said. The 9 mm bullet, police think, was from a shooting range two or three miles away. Somehow, it ricocheted into Bolechala's side, between his hips and ribs.

"I'm not in shock, but I didn't plan on getting shot,” he said.

A dispatcher for the Elk City Police Department said no one was available to comment for this story.

Bolechala said he has no ill-will toward the police, who told him they will pay medical bills related to the shooting.

He did not, however, sign a waiver limiting damages the department could face.

He said he has no lawsuit planned.

"It was just a freak of nature; nobody did it on purpose,” Bolechala said. "The good Lord was with me, and it wasn't my time to die. I don't begrudge or blame anybody. It was just one of those things that happened.”

He was a teacher for 18 years and has been a Burns Flat city councilman since 1993.

"I've been a teacher, and I'm on the town council and never been shot at,” he said, laughing.

"All I can say is, ‘Duck.'

"You are more apt to get hit by a car then get shot at a dealership.”

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    The 9 mm bullet, police think, was from a shooting range two or three miles away.

I am not convinced it traveled that 2 or 3 miles.
    Lets jump to conclusions before the bullet is extracted from his side wow; they must have been doing some freaky **** at the range to admit to that before any hard evidence has been proven.

So what should the penalty be for whomever shot this guy? Ricochets are a bitch; but the bottom line is someone pulled the trigger and essentially shot this guy.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Anybody know how high you would have to aim to get a 9mm to travel 2 tp 3 miles? That's probably about max range for 9mm, so 45 degrees? That's got to be an accidental discharge, not a high miss... I think there's some liability there.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Apple cider vinegarOTR
    Top Bottom