CMMG $550 Ar

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    LOL, why is it the $500 range AR-15s all look like my beater AR that was built for right at $500? Mine is ugly, and has a canted FSB, but it runs flawlessly.

It is in the photo below right above the AK:
    ak-ar-1.jpg

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    Gunz, what is it that the others do that this one won't? Other than cost more?

I built mine from used parts purchased on either gunbroker or another site's equipment exchange. My beater AR-15 is a Colt 16" M4 upper on an Essential Arms lower receiver using a CMMG lower parts kit. I had the stock, pistol grip, and carry handle just laying around. Now I did get screwed when purchasing the 16" upper because it was a circa 1999 upper, and it shouldn't have had the bayonet lug. Basically, the guy I purchased it from fessed up and admitted to putting the bayonet lug on there after the ban, hence the reason for the canted front sight base. He said the original was long gone since the expiration of the AWB in 2004 so I either need to live with the canted FSB or do something else to fix it. Right now I am living with it because it doesn't bother me that much except for the fact that I know it is there!

As for what CMMG's used AR's have or are lacking, I really can't say for certain but I will speculate:

1. They appear to be missing the carry handle. A decent carry handle will run you about $110 brand new.

2. It is possible that the CMMG weapons don't have chrome lined bores. Since they did not say who exactly made the upper, it is impossible to say. Did it come from CMMG? Did it come from a Model 1 Sales kit? Who knows?

3. I think the advertisement specified that these were trades, therefore you don't know the condition/round count/etc. If the uppers are used and chrome lined, it is not as big of a deal. If they are not chrome lined, you have an increased risk for pitting inside of the bore.

4. Since you don't know if the upper was factory assembled, it is possible that some goober slapped it together, had issues with it, then traded it in. I have seen bottom tier AR-15s with out of spec gas tubes, out of spec gas ports, improperly staked carrier keys, bolts that shatter at 200 rounds, or even NO gas tube in one case! Because CMMG test fired the weapons, I would venture to say that it should at least have a gas tube, unless they manually cycled the action after the first shot :)

Now the one positive thing I will say is that if CMMG built the upper, they stand behind their products! Personally, I don't own a complete CMMG upper, but I would not hesitate to purchase one from them if I were in the market for something that they offered.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    The only thing I would be concerned about is who makes the upper, is it chrome lined, and does it come with a carry handle? Lower receivers are pretty much all standard with some tighter or others that are looser when fitted to the upper. Hell, if they will pick you out an all CMMG weapon for an extra $20, then by all means, reserve one!

Of course the "AS IS" clause bothers me. I know of at least two instances where improperly chromed OR improperly maintained AR-15s had the chroming literally peel away from the inside of the barrel, and it had a serious impact on accuracy. Most copper removers have ammonia and ammonia left in the barrel too long can lift the chrome away or have some other adverse chemical reaction.

Be warned though, I have seen the link on several other forums, therefore you may already be down to slim pickings.

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    ya i was going to order one this afternoon but i'm very much an impulse buyer. if i can wait it out till the next day i usually won't buy it. the as is bothers me too. also you can email them but you can only order online so the person you talk to through emails may have nothing to do with my order. what about olympic arms ar-15s?

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    ya i was going to order one this afternoon but i'm very much an impulse buyer. if i can wait it out till the next day i usually won't buy it. the as is bothers me too. also you can email them but you can only order online so the person you talk to through emails may have nothing to do with my order. what about olympic arms ar-15s?

I will probably get super flamed for this, but I wouldn't take an Olympic Arms AR-15 if it was given to me! Every since they made the pistol in 7.62x39mm and got the cheep Chinese Steel Core Ammunition banned (AP from a handgun), I have had nothing but HATE for Olympic Arms. Their ARs may be great guns, but because they ruined such a good thing in the 90s, I refuse to give them any of my hard earned money.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom