Took the new puppies out.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Well, brought Basco and Peno in the swamp and after a Hail Mary let'em off their leads. They at first did what all hounds do.....pee, squat, scratch, sniff. After about 5 minutes Peno had his nose hard to the ground. Basco was shortly doing the same thing. 30 minutes into the hunt, they opened up. Basco has a beautiful deep throated bawl. Peno has more of a yelp. They were easy to handle and came when called. The Milkbones helped. I was unable to get something to jump so we basically took a walk through the woods for about an hour and a half.
    Sunday we struck out from the river bank in some nasty thickets. They were quick to start the hunt. I jumped a deer but they never were able to pick'em up. As we were leaving that section and crossing the pipeline to the other section, the 2 took off on a hot race!!!! Seemed there were some deers layed up on the edge of the pipeline. They ran for about 15 minutes, with me the whole time praying they didn't get lost. I heard'em die down and waited for another 5 minutes or so and called them back. Was I relieved when they were hightailing it back to me. Then as we were waking to the camp, I jumped a rabbit, called them over and it was on like pecan. They about ran the hair off that bunny. I let lose with my '06, but the bunny was having nothing of that. lol When the dogs got back to me they lost the trail. I've heard that gunpowder will do that. Oh, well. They are only 6 months old and I was quite pleased with their performance.
    Anyway, we finished off the weekend with 5 squirrels (2 black and 3 reds). Deer meat, V.O., cheap beer, and head cheese were consumed in quantity.
    Saturday we had some excitement. After peeling off our sweat soaked clothes, lounging around the table drinking cool beverages, a BIG race was going on across the canal and coming our way. I jumped up, grabbed ol' faithful and flew out the door in nothin' but my tighty whities, one of the others took off out the back to the pipeline in his t-shirt, drawers, and slippers. By the time I got to the bank, a pack of about 10 Walkers was chuggin' across the canal in full force about 50 yards down.. What a sight. The deer got away, but we were laughin' our butts off. Then ol' Fred goes and shoots 2 squirrels while sittin' on the back porch in his boxers and drinkin' coffee.:rofl:
    I do so love the swamp.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I miss the Swamp, Steve...

When I was a kid I grew up in the Indian Bayou Hunting Club...which is now Indian Bayou WMA next to Sherburn WMA.

I miss it more than words can express.

Thanks for letting us know, sounds like you have some awesome pups!

So...how do you get them to come back so easily?

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Dem dogs just love me. lol or maybe it's the Milkbones.

Indian Bayou is a curse word in the scubasteve household. Does Agent Boudreaux still have **** in his nose? I know what ya mean about old stomping grounds. Spent many a day walking and hunting the woods at Bayou Tommy in Rosedale. Now I don't have the money, connections, or patience to hunt there. Sure do miss them ol' time hunting camps. Now I have my own camp and hunt public land.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I don't know about Agent Boudreaux, lol, they never messed with us when it was a private club. After the Army Corps of Engineers took it over things changed.

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Took'em last week and had 4 good races. Was by myself and was only able to get one shot off (MISSED!!!). Directed them to another area and they took off on a deer. Dagblamemudderflockers. Ran a 1/2 mile back to the boat and run back up the canal and was able to cut them off. Was gunna put them in a pen this week, but the ol' man who runs it, thru out his back. Gunna go to an area where I know there is some small islands, dumps, and spoil banks and run'em wednesday.
    Anybody up for a hunt?

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Took'em last week and had 4 good races. Was by myself and was only able to get one shot off (MISSED!!!). Directed them to another area and they took off on a deer. Dagblamemudderflockers. Ran a 1/2 mile back to the boat and run back up the canal and was able to cut them off. Was gunna put them in a pen this week, but the ol' man who runs it, thru out his back. Gunna go to an area where I know there is some small islands, dumps, and spoil banks and run'em wednesday.
    Anybody up for a hunt?

How did you do with the hunt?

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    The lil' chits did it today. They got themselves a taste of rabbit!!!! Run a few islands/spoilbanks/dumps in the swamp today and on the last one they hit.
    Let'em off the chain in the bote and before I could even grab my gun, the race was on. Moved to a choke point and not 2 minutes later Meester Wabbit come hoppin' along and BLAM!!!! Ol' Faithful pute'm down. Basco come runnin' up first and Peno was behind still singin'. While I was congratulating Basco, ANOTHER bunny come shootin' through!!!!! Basco takes off with Peno runnin' to catch up. Seems they was each runnin' a bunny. I quickly reloaded and hightailed it to another pinch point where I thought ol' b'er wabbit would pass and sho enuff....BLAM!!!!! Two races, two shots, and two bunnies in the bag. I cut one open and gave the heart and livers to my boyz for their fine huntin' skills. Another two minutes later and the race was on again. This bunny was havin' nuthin' of it and cleared the country. Escaped the gogs by swimmin' a slough.
    Sadly it was time to start makin' way for the house, so we packed it in.
    That's OK. I found some good spots and we'll be back next weekend.

Top Bottom