Indoor or Outdoor range preference?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I have only been to one indoor range. The guys there were some of the most crass, rude people I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. Besides that, they seem to have no lead abatement plan whatsoever. The whole place makes your mouth taste like powder and lead.

I love my outdoor range. Those of you that made the trip up can see why. Nothing like shooting paladins with your AR at 100,200,300,400 & 600 yds from a hill. Not to mention being able to shoot prone without dain bramage.

Are there good indoor ranges by yall, and if so, do you prefer them?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Indoor ranges are good for pistol. FITS in slidell is very nice. It's air conditioned and has a good filtration system There was a range in Metairie called Jefferson Indoor years ago. The range manager ended up dying from lead poisoning.
    Now if I could just find a 100 yard indoor range...

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Precision Shooting is a fairly decent indoor range in Baton Rouge. I've been there a couple of times. Mostly I prefer the outdoor ranges though. Southern Shooting in Thib. is where my dues go.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I like indoor ranges for handguns and outdoor ranges for rifles. Don't get me wrong, I generally use both the pistol and rifle ranges at Sherburne, but I prefer places like Barney's and Precision because of the ease at adjusting the targets. I also don't need as much hearing protection when I am outdoors, but I still go with plugs/muffs anyhow.

greg t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    NOLA area
    Indoor ranges are good for pistol. FITS in slidell is very nice. It's air conditioned and has a good filtration system There was a range in Metairie called Jefferson Indoor years ago. The range manager ended up dying from lead poisoning.
    Now if I could just find a 100 yard indoor range...

have you been to bayou dragon? i'm not sure exactly how far their range is, but i'd bet it's pretty close to 100yds.

as to the OP's question ... i MUCH prefer an outdoor range, and especially one that doesn't have anal-retentive rules.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Its been a few years, but I did my CCW class there. Its a ways from Metairie and I've got to cross the Huey P to get there (which I don't like doing). I'd rather drive to Nick's in Garyville and shoot outdoors. I don't remember how far away the back wall was. For CCW we were shooting at about 10 feet. I really wish they would back that up to 25 feet and make it a bit more challenging.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    have you been to bayou dragon? i'm not sure exactly how far their range is, but i'd bet it's pretty close to 100yds.

as to the OP's question ... i MUCH prefer an outdoor range, and especially one that doesn't have anal-retentive rules.

Bayou Dragon is 50 yrd on the indoor rifle. They also have a pistol room.

I'd rather be outside. Indoor is OK too. I take what I can get.

I know guys that don't like the lighting indoors - Yeah Bad Guys prefer to be well lit also.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    You're right about the people next to you on a lane. If I were going to build a range I'd be tempted to put some steel plate between each firing position!
    When I took my CCW class we spent 7 of the 8 hours on classroom time, maybe an hour total actually on the range. I think I fired 18 unsupervised rounds other than the actual qualification target. It was a joke. There was almost no firearms training.
    I keep looking for a pistol light that lights up the target from above and draws a little 10 circle target on their chest... just like I see at the range.

Top Bottom