Letter: Campus gun legislation is lunacy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Here's a letter to the editor from the 5/16 Advocate
    "I am not a gun-control advocate, but HB27, the bill that would allow licensed handguns on college campuses, brings new meaning to the term “lunacy.”

The apparent purpose of the bill is to allow students to carry guns on the campus to protect themselves from nuts who might start shooting up the campus with illegal guns.

But the result of the bill would allow the nuts to carry guns on the campus. I guess Rep. Ernest Wooton, R-Belle Chasse, thinks things would be better with a Shootout at the O.K. Corral.

Louisiana is already the butt of jokes from the late-night comics. You can imagine what they will do with this.

Gov. Bobby Jindal should nip this in the bud and declare that he will veto this legislation if it passes.

William Bonin
    lawyer
    New Iberia"

And here is the response I submitted.

In response to New Iberia attorney William Bonin’s letter characterizing Rep. Wooten’s HB 27 as lunacy, I suggest he read proposals before commenting on them. The bill would not allow “nuts” to carry guns on campuses, nor would it allow most students to carry on campus. The bill expands the carry rights of those who already possess a concealed carry permit. Among the qualifications for a permit are a medical records check and that the applicant be twenty-one years of age. So most students and most nuts are screened out.

Moving past the uninformed knee-jerkery, the bill has merit in that it allows law abiding citizens the opportunity to protect themselves on campuses. Concealed carry permit holders are law abiding citizens who have passed a prescribed course of training and background checks.

Criminals carry guns without regard to the law. Gun free zones simply insure that the rest of us are defenseless in the face of criminals. Until each citizen can be assigned a personal police officer, this bill is a worthwhile empowerment of the law abiding in our society.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    And here is the response I submitted.

In response to New Iberia attorney William Bonin’s letter characterizing Rep. Wooten’s HB 27 as lunacy, I suggest he read proposals before commenting on them. The bill would not allow “nuts” to carry guns on campuses, nor would it allow most students to carry on campus. The bill expands the carry rights of those who already possess SO what about people who would obtain permits in the future? According to your statment they will be excluded as your comment clearly states those who ALREADY possess.a concealed carry permit. Among the qualifications for a permit are a medical records check and that the applicant be twenty-one years of age. So most students and most nuts are screened out.

Moving past the uninformed knee-jerkery, the bill has merit in that it allows law abiding citizens the opportunity to protect themselves on campuses. Concealed carry permit holders are law abiding citizens who have passed a prescribed course of training and background checks.

Criminals carry guns without regard to the law. Gun free zones simply insure that the rest of us are defenseless in the face of criminals. Until each citizen can be assigned a personal police officer, this bill is a worthwhile empowerment of the law abiding in our society.

But the bill tramples on the rights of property owners who do not wish for armed citizens to frequent their property. Public schools are public property and yes the government should have the authority to allow for this there; but not at private schools.

I havent read the proposed legislation so it may only cover public schools who knows. And there are plenty of nuts with permits because they are handed out like candy.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    But the bill tramples on the rights of property owners who do not wish for armed citizens to frequent their property. Public schools are public property and yes the government should have the authority to allow for this there; but not at private schools.

I havent read the proposed legislation so it may only cover public schools who knows. And there are plenty of nuts with permits because they are handed out like candy.

I did not intend the meaning of "currently possess" that you inferred. To clarify, I meant to identify all concealed carry permit holders; current and prospective.

Please read the proposed legislation and the RS articles it references. It applies to colleges.

I respectfully disagree with your assertion of private property rights being abridged. Please take a concelaed carry class. It is very informative. Permit holders are forbidden from carrying on private property when the property owner objects. Elementary and secondary schools are already "Gun Free" zones under state law. If this does not cover private schools, then the aforementioned property owner rights would cover the issue. So I believe the law has addressed your concern and law abiding citizens will comply. Those of us with permits are, by definition, law abiding as we sought the cover of law to carry rather that carrying illegally.

But as you know from reading my post, I am philosophically opposed to gun free zones as they render us defenseless from those who do not share our respect for the law and for our neighbors wishes.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Does this law now make a college campus no longer a gun free zone? So will the illegal carry of a firearm on a college campus now be less severe then it is now? Will this law now decriminalize firarm crimes on a college campus?

I knew what you meant by Already just the other side will try to pick it up and dismiss your entire letter for not being clear and concise, they will say this guy knows not what he speaks of.

Last edited:

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Does this law now make a college campus no longer a gun free zone? So will the illegal carry of a firearm on a college campus now be less severe then it is now? Will this law now decriminalize firarm crimes on a college campus?

I knew what you meant by Already just the other side will try to pick it up and dismiss your entire letter for not being clear and concise, they will say this guy knows not what he speaks of.

Thanks, but I think the letter is pretty clear, taken as a whole.

I cannot envision a scenario whereby this proposaal would change the incident of illegal carry. That is already going on and the gun free zone designation does not deter it.

Here is a link to the bill. I am happy to discuss the bill with you but it would go better if you read it first. I think your questions will be answered and you can then make a decision on whether or not you think it is good legislation.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/billdata/streamdocument.asp?did=651224

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Thanks, but I think the letter is pretty clear, taken as a whole.

No, your letter left to much ambiguity in it because you didn't not clearly state the facts. I'm sorry if you do not see it this way; but you sir are 100% wrong on your statement of implying that only indivduals who already possess a permit will be allowed.

Authorizes the carrying of handguns on college, university, or postsecondary vocational-technical school campuses by individuals who possess a concealed handgun permit.

I still don't like the fact that they may make private property owners allow firearms on campus.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I find it strange that some of our representatives who voted against pro-gun legislation, have concealed carry permits themselves and problably pack in chambers. Isn't that hypocritical (yes you Gary Smith).

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I still don't like the fact that they may make private property owners allow firearms on campus.
    I agree with your other points, but keep in mind that this legislation only removes the automatic inclusion of college campuses, they can still post their property just like any other private property owner.

my biggest objection to the OP letter was where he stated that medical records are checked - they are not checked - unless something related to your mental health is noted in a criminal finding or you admit to having a mental condition on the application it will not come up.

Gumbo

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm missing the part where the OP says those people who receive CC permits after the passage of this bill would be forbidden from carrying on campuses.

I thought your letter was well written and measured; I had no trouble understanding what you meant. However, if you sent that to The Advertiser, don't expect them to print it.

Last edited:

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I'm missing the part where the OP says those people who receive CC permits after the passage of this bill would be forbidden from carrying on campuses.

I thought your letter was well written and measured; I had no trouble understanding what you meant. However, if you sent that to The Advertiser, don't expect them to print it.

Thank. It went to the advocate and gauging by their editorial from this morning, I doubt it will be printed.

Top Bottom