Chamber opposes concealed carry on campuses

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Scumbags.....

From the Daily Report:

"The Baton Rouge Area Chamber has come out against a bill that would allow people with concealed weapons permits to carry a gun onto college campuses. BRAC warns the legislation would create safety issues for college students, faculty and staff and could hamper economic development efforts. "We have been working extremely hard to ensure that the area’s higher education institutions are of national caliber," says Adam Knapp, BRAC president and CEO. "Allowing concealed weapons on their campuses harms their ability to attract the quality students and research faculty necessary to secure the competitiveness of our region." The presidents of all of Louisiana's college campuses have come out against the concealed carry bill by Rep. Ernest Wooton, R-Belle Chasse, along with LSU football coach Les Miles, members of the state Board of Regents, and the management boards over the LSU, Southern University and the University of Louisiana systems."

Last edited:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Ugh, this is one of our largest clients. They typically come in to have me produce a web video concerning topics they are speaking out against....

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Ugh, this is one of our largest clients. They typically come in to have me produce a web video concerning topics they are speaking out against....

I sent an email and asked how they came to that conclusion and what facts they have to back up the statement. I doubt I'll get a reply.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I have already decided I won't produce the video if asked. I would instead forward them AfterShock's very well put arguments in the other thread and respectfully decline producing this month's web video.

I was going to immediately send Heather an email, but after reading the press release there really isn't much I can argue about.

http://www.brac.org/site.php?pageID=58&newsID=1125

“We have been working extremely hard to ensure that the area’s higher education institutions are of national caliber. Allowing concealed weapons on their campuses harms their ability to attract the quality students and research faculty necessary to secure the competitiveness of our region. We urge the members of the Louisiana Legislature to vote against this measure.”

I can't really argue that it won't harm their ability to attract quality students. With the negative press attention guns receive it will may very well turn away students, especially from other countries. It may also attract students who wish to be able to defend themselves on campus.

Currently, twelve states are considering legislation that would allow guns on college campuses. Last year, seventeen such bills were debated including in peer states such as Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, and Tennessee. All seventeen pieces of legislation were defeated.

I didn't fact check it, but I will take their word for it that is true.

In declaring its opposition, BRAC stated that the bill proposed by Rep. Ernest D. Wooten would create additional safety issues for students, faculty, staff, and visitors...

That's just about the only line I could debate and even then there isn't much to argue. "Create additional safety issues" is a broad statement and it's hard to say that guns on campus won't create "additional safety issues."

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    These idiots should stay within their relm of expertise and stop trying act like human behavior experts.....
    They are right about one thing, though: this would indeed create safety issues. It would be the difference between being safe and being a potential victim on a college campus. It would also be a major threat to the safety of someone wishing to carry our a mass shooting on said college campus.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009

Yeah, I can see where that's a tough spot for you, seriously....

Top Bottom