.357 Sig?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette
    Anyone here use one? I've been reading good things about the round, and it's also one of the few rounds I consistently find on the shelves in Lafayette.

Also, can a Glock 27 be successfully 357 "Sigified" by swapping barrels? Anyone have experience with this?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Anyone here use one? I've been reading good things about the round, and it's also one of the few rounds I consistently find on the shelves in Lafayette.

Also, can a Glock 27 be successfully 357 "Sigified" by swapping barrels? Anyone have experience with this?

Yes you can swap barrels between the G 33 and the G27. I have owned the .357 Sig in Sig and Glock. I like them but they are expensive to shoot.

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    As far as owning a .357SIG, I've looked into it. IMO, I'd much rather sport a .40S&W. Larger diameter, only about ~200FPS slower (depending on ammo choice, of course), and a good bit cheaper to shoot. I've seen .357SIG around $28/box of 50. I just couldn't see myself paying that. Our FiveseveN doesn't get shot at ~$21/box.

Last edited:

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    As far as owning a .357SIG, I've looked into it. IMO, I'd much rather sport a .40S&W. Larger diameter, only about ~200FPS slower, and a goodbit cheaper to shoot. I've seen .357SIG around $28/box of 50.

.40 isn't running much cheaper in my neck of the woods. When you can find it at Academy you can get it for about $17 a box but I've only been able to find a box or two at a time and it's up around $22 a box.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    I've carried the same P229 in .357SIG for 13 years now.
    Not much finish left on it, but it has never malfunctioned!

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I have a Glock 22 and purchased a Lone Wolf .357 Sig barrel for it- works fantastic(I also got a Lone Wolf 9mm barrel and a Glock 17 magazine, so now my G22 is three guns-in-one). The Lone Wolf barrels are stainless steel, and have been VERY accurate.
    Also, I found a factory .357 Sig barrel for my Smith & Wesson M&P40- works like a dream, also (the magazines are even marked .40S&W/.357, so you know they'll work).
    Factory M&P .357 barrels were around $88 at Midway USA, while each of the Lone Wolf Glock barrels were $99 at Cheaper Than Dirt. I for sure recommend the Lone Wolf products- in my experience they proved to be even more accurate than the factory Glocks....
    Yes, I am able to find .357 Sig ammo a lot more often than 9mm. .40, or .45 ACP, so that was a driving factor in getting the barrels. After shooting a couple of boxes, I'm a fan of the round. The only problem is the cost- the FMJ rounds go for around $24 a box / USA brand HP's for around $28. No lasting regrets here, though- it's that much of a "blast" to shoot.

TxShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    East Texas
    My main defensive pistol is a SIG P226; Dad has the Glock 31. It's a nice cartridge, accurate and very flat shooting. The recoil's snappier than I like out of the Glock, but it works well in the SIG. Texas DPS has had pretty good results with it through car bodies and glass.

If you can find a steady supply of ammo, go for it. The P226/.357 combo will likely be my duty gun after the academy, but only until I can find/afford a P226R in 9mm. The 9mm's cheaper, easier to shoot, and still a pretty good performer in modern loadings. I'd probably shoot the .357 more if I could find it locally; instead I'm limited to however much I've ordered from Georgia Arms.

The .357 casehead is the same diameter as the .40, so it should work in any .40 with just a barrel swap. Mags and recoil spring are the same. No idea how far off the sights will be...I've never been interested enough to buy a .40.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I've carried a Sig 239 in 357 sig everyday for over 12 yrs. I like it.
    Can't give you any advice on he Glock never had one.

357sig is good enough for the USSS.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    My Main carry

is a g27 with a g33 barrel in it. I also use the LWolf barrel and carry it exclusively now.

I like the 357 sig, it has a lot more recoil in my g27 but I can handle it. The Dallas swat uses it as well as some state guys due to the nature of the round going through car panels and glass better with better weight retention.

There was a shooting where I read the stat, it may have been classified so I cant give details of parties/ but local pd and sheriff are shooting 40 and 45 and both peter out in the glass and body panels/ The 357 from the state pd gets the bad guy.

that after action study was the one reason I looked at the 357 sig.

I buy in bulk and I buy WWB for one reason.. If I aint carrying some new found whiz bang hot hot load from some new company. Maybe when or if I have to use the thing I wont be looked at for wanting to test the newest rounds..

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    is a g27 with a g33 barrel in it. I also use the LWolf barrel and carry it exclusively now.

I like the 357 sig, it has a lot more recoil in my g27 but I can handle it. The Dallas swat uses it as well as some state guys due to the nature of the round going through car panels and glass better with better weight retention.

There was a shooting where I read the stat, it may have been classified so I cant give details of parties/ but local pd and sheriff are shooting 40 and 45 and both peter out in the glass and body panels/ The 357 from the state pd gets the bad guy.

that after action study was the one reason I looked at the 357 sig.

I buy in bulk and I buy WWB for one reason.. If I aint carrying some new found whiz bang hot hot load from some new company. Maybe when or if I have to use the thing I wont be looked at for wanting to test the newest rounds..

Is this what you were referring to? Several years ago a Texas Ranger shot through the truck door of a Tractor (18 wheeler) with a .357 Sig. after the .45 failed to do so.

TxShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    East Texas
    A story's been circulating around since '96 or so about two Texas troopers who were pursuing an 18 wheeler. The older trooper fired his .45 (SIG P220, probably with 230 gr. Black Talons) into the cab, but the bullets were stopped by the door. The rookie he was training supposedly had the new SIG P226 (125 gr. Gold Dots) and fired one shot that penetrated the door and hit the villian. I think Ayoob has printed it a few times; so did Mr. Squirrely himself, Ed Sanow, in a '98 or so "Handguns."

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I don't know exactly anymore where that info I posted came from, I have read so many reports in research that I hesitate to give all details due to some of them being more classified or restricted at the time of my reading them. I do not handle any op-sec stuff anymore so I do not know that status of the report now.

I can tell you 40 smith is questionable ammo to try to punch through the door skins of some vehicles, since there are some faster fmj loads out there it will but dont COUNT on it for that.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    If you're using FMJ's any handgun round greater than 9mm Luger will penetrate a car door. Why are you shooting at people in cars? If they're trying to get away it's hardly self defense. If they're trying to run you over shoot through the glass or get out of the way. If they're shooting at you for inside a car shoot back. I doubt during the stress of a shooting incident you'll even notice if the rounds are hitting the door and then the person shooting at you.
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot3.htm

Dave

Top Bottom