1911 Gunsmith Recommendation - BR Area

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StephenC

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2020
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I’m willing to drive as far as Lafayette/NOLA if the recommendation comes highly enough.

Looking for a solid competent gunsmith that does 1911 work but not looking to pay for crazy custom work, I mean I know it’s gonna be a few hundred bucks but I’m not looking for one of these pinky out champagne popping 1911 smiths that are going to scoff at my gun and tell me to get a Wilson Combat.

For a 9MM Girsan MC1911 Commander

WORK I WOULD LIKE DONE:

Trijicon sights installed. This will probably require milling the rear dovetail, or filing the sights, whatever works best. The front should require minimal fitment.

Extractor tested/replaced if needed

Ejector tuned & modified face angle or replaced & tuned

Trigger job

Thank you for your recommendations.

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    Well if you want the best guy in the state then Brandon at Buhler Ballistics would be the guy to use. He builds guns for Chambers, normally doesn't take odd jobs but will every now and then.

Also Wilson Combats aren't great so I would hope no real 1911 smith would recommend them.

StephenC

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2020
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Lloyd Landry (The Gun) in Gonzales does good work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you for the suggestions, but the first gentleman who was recommended I suspect is out of my price range. This man they call The Gun might be just who I am looking for.

He is still in the area and does work correct?

It seems like that with decent gunsmiths or shops, they will have a ton of recommendations and then close out of the blue, but people still send referrals because it’s not an everyday place you go.

J. W. Harris

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 9, 2022
    Zachary, Louisiana
    I would suggest Edwardo Chahin in BR. @ 225-751-5298. Another choice would be David Lejeune @ Bullets & Bows in Rayne, La . Edwardo is a world class shooter (2 times Olympic competition) and 60+ years as professional gunsmith. David (337-334-0033) is great with 1911 s and has great prices. JWHarris

Last edited:

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Thank you for the suggestions, but the first gentleman who was recommended I suspect is out of my price range. This man they call The Gun might be just who I am looking for.

He is still in the area and does work correct?

It seems like that with decent gunsmiths or shops, they will have a ton of recommendations and then close out of the blue, but people still send referrals because it’s not an everyday place you go.
    As far as I know, he is. Lloyd is also a competitive shooter, and a lifetime USPSA member, his prices are reasonable and does good work.

StephenC

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2020
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I would suggest Edwardo Chahin in BR. @ 225-751-5298. Another choice would be David Lejeune @ Bullets & Bows in Rayne, La . Edwardo is a world class shooter (2 times Olympic competition) and 60+ years as professional gunsmith. David (337-334-0033) is great with 1911 s and has great prices. JWHarris

I’m gonna try The Gun first but if for some reason he’s unavailable I will definitely give Mr. Chahin or Mr. Lejeune a call. Thank you for your help!

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I know moat of the guys that have been recommended.

Brandon is the best.
    Lloyd is a crotchety old curmudgeon that's getting out of it. But he an I get along great.
    I wouldn't have Chahin work on anything.

IMO second to Brandon is Jake Welch at All American Gunsmithing. He is in central. 225-244-1686.

SRT Bravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Eduardo Chahin is an excellent gunsmith and world renowned for his work on rifles. I had him do a trigger job on my duty revolver (Never do a trigger job on your duty weapon) light tapped a primer during qualifications and got my ass ripped for it by our range officer. Lloyd Landry has had an excellent reputation for his work on 1911's for the past 30 years, if I were looking, he would be my choice if he still in the game. You mention price is a concern, work on a firearm should be tempered with what it's primary use is. If it will be carried for defense, go save your money because well how much do you consider your life is worth?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Eduardo Chahin is an excellent gunsmith and world renowned for his work on rifles. I had him do a trigger job on my duty revolver (Never do a trigger job on your duty weapon) light tapped a primer during qualifications and got my ass ripped for it by our range officer. Lloyd Landry has had an excellent reputation for his work on 1911's for the past 30 years, if I were looking, he would be my choice if he still in the game. You mention price is a concern, work on a firearm should be tempered with what it's primary use is. If it will be carried for defense, go save your money because well how much do you consider your life is worth?

Trigger Work on a Duty Firearm is Not Recommended.

cbh005

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    I'm curious to know if the OP had the work done and what the experience was like. I'm looking for similar services on a para ordinance black ops.

J. W. Harris

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 9, 2022
    Zachary, Louisiana
    Does anyone know a gunsmith or someone with knowledge of how to reassemble a 1936 bolt from a 1936 Remington mod. 41 single shot .22 ?Some idiot (Me), took it apart and I'm too old to get a mechanical engineering degree so I can do it myself. JW

Top Bottom