1911 Reliability

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What is the best buy?

• Springfield

Votes: 9 26.5%
    • Colt

Votes: 6 17.6%
    • Rock Island

Votes: 4 11.8%
    • Taurus

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Kimber

• Remington

Votes: 1 2.9%
    • Sig

• S&W

• SDS

Votes: 2 5.9%
    • American Classic / Metro Arms

• Total voters

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    The only way to know would be to talk to all the and companies and see what percentage of issues they have vs the total amount they sell. I do QC for a living and it's not like people generally disclose that info. For example read Kimber has a lot of issues but they also outsell the majority of 1911 makers which if true, they still may have a lower failure rate than other brand.

When I shopped for my first 1911, I looked online to see which companies had very good customer service when issues arised. And one of them is who I went with. You still have to run the gun reguarldess to ensure it's reliable if you need it to be just like any other firearm.

TMcD3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Mandeville, La
    As far as take any abuse & still function, I remember a couple of crazy guys on BS that had a Utube channel that Truely Torchered 1911s & glocks. A RI 1911 was dragged behind a truck on a gravel road, wiped down & fired. The Glock was broke. I can’t remember their names or channel but they had some interesting videos. I also said to Never let them near your guns.
    Does anybody else know who these guys are?
    They did that with a M1 Garand, M4, AK-47, M1A1 and I think some bolt actions too. Hard to watch doing that to a Garand but the M4 fired fine while the AK-47 jammed immediatly. Any open action was toast and jammed on the first or second round.

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    In my experience, a 1958 Sistema Argentine has been 100% reliable, it is why I used it as a truck gun for about 10 years.
    The lEAST reliable 1911 I have owned is Para Ordnance 14-45

kennyboyusmc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2022
    Belle Chasse
    I’ve got the following 1911s:

Colt Combat Elite
    Springfield Range Officer
    Tisas US Army
    Kimber Aegis Elite Custom
    2x CMP 1911s

I’ve shot all of them with the exception of the CMP guns. I do not recall having any jams or issues with any of them. The Kimber definitely has the tightest fit and the best finish, but was also the most expensive. The Tisas is the least expensive and probably the least accurate; by no means is the accuracy bad, but I believe it lacks potential mostly due to its sights. The Colt is a great gun. The Springfield is also great, but I feel like it offers the same accuracy as the Colt, has adjustable sights, came with more accessories, and that you get the same or similar performance as more expensive guns, but at a lower price point. Although my experience is limited to the Springfield model that I own, when researching 1911s to potentially add to my collection, it seems that apples to apples, Springfield offers more for less and is therefore the best bang for the buck.

Girouard

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    I have a Kimber Gold Combat II Limited Edition and it has been problem free when I actually shoot it.

77CED771-2B19-4AE1-A33B-0A6D0F8A5C25.jpeg

I just obtained this Colt Mark IV, Series 70 from 1980 and it FTRTB on the first and second round. The rest of that magazine ran fine. Field stripped it, wiped it out, lubed it and asked my local gunsmith to check it out. He fired three rounds before it FTRTB, tapped the rear of the slide and it went to battery then ran fine. It’s going to be a fun project.

8769CA25-9C96-42B4-8D72-04E1C8906BA5.jpeg

I don’t have a point but that’s my experience to date.

Edit:

Did some thinking, I have a friend who’s into 1911’s and has had several high end pieces from Nighthawk, Wilson Combat and Les Baer. Those guns just run and are a joy to shoot. He has a few Springfield pistols and they needed work to function properly.

F7593D61-4C44-4E1F-92CE-34715A7CCA2E.jpeg

758D9D23-051D-4F3D-A4E2-9CF4087C4F5C.jpeg
    BF8F7CBC-2EC7-4A75-91F6-4249940E3E3C.jpeg
    AF6486DE-1218-44FE-949D-209E1F4F5D8C.jpeg

Last edited:

Sapperboomboom

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 28, 2017
    Slidell
    I have a Kimber Gold Combat II Limited Edition and it has been problem free when I actually shoot it.

View attachment 125217

I just obtained this Colt Mark IV, Series 70 from 1980 and it FTRTB on the first and second round. The rest of that magazine ran fine. Field stripped it, wiped it out, lubed it and asked my local gunsmith to check it out. He fired three rounds before it FTRTB, tapped the rear of the slide and it went to battery then ran fine. It’s going to be a fun project.

View attachment 125218

I don’t have a point but that’s my experience to date.
    Those are two fine looking pistols.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom