The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saxmanson

Hardly Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Jan 3, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Great points Jstudz220 that sound comforting coming from you, my fellow BS member. I've never handled any Ruger firearm that didn't exhibit superb build quality, and I can't wait to shoot this one. I haven't shot any 1911 pistols since selling my Gold Cup (series 70) 25 years ago. Honestly, I wouldn't mind picking up a Tisas to be my "beater" for the SUV but I think this Ruger is going to be my final "keeper" pistol.

Attachments

• Ruger SR 1911.jpg
      Ruger SR 1911.jpg
      488.5 KB · Views: 95
    Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Also with owning a Ruger is the piece of mind knowing Ruger customer service is outstanding. Original owner or not they will surely address any potential issues you might come across. I think Ruger might have the best customer service period out of any firearm manufacturer.
    Ruger makes a fine firearm and you're right about their customer service. Of the mid-tier manufacturers, they're one of the best.

But I still question the value of a $1,000 Ruger 1911 over a $450 RIA or Tisas 1911. I'm just not sure that the minute quality difference justifies the price difference.

Mike

fng

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    for the $$, I dont think you can go wrong with buying a springfield GI or__________________ (most basic/entry level 1911) and buy some wilson 47-D mags, decent g10 type or wood grips and a bunch of ammo. Once you verify that you and the 1911 can be good buddies, later you can add to youre base gun doing small stuff a little at a time, by a reputable smith, until you have what you want in a 1911. I would even try to find a used gi/base model and go from there. If you are seeking the "best" 1911 you can find for $1K then almost all of the production guns in that price range will be of similar quality. If youre budget were $1500 or so, I would be looking for a Dan Wesson, you do get alot of gun in this price range from DW.

As a side note that may be of interest to you, the "old school" SF guys that still rolled with the 1911 into the early 2000's ran WW2 usgi remmy's w/ a minor sight upgrade and skateboard grip tape on the front strap and grip panels..the majority of the mags were chip mccormick shooting stars..just sayin';)

boudy30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2022
    Hammond, LA
    I have 2 of the Rugers, 1 full size and 1 Commander have never had an issue with either and 2 of my favorite pistols; however when purchased several years ago they could be found with a mid $600 retail price.

saxmanson

Hardly Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Jan 3, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    for the $$, I dont think you can go wrong with buying a springfield GI or__________________ (most basic/entry level 1911) and buy some wilson 47-D mags, decent g10 type or wood grips and a bunch of ammo. Once you verify that you and the 1911 can be good buddies, later you can add to youre base gun doing small stuff a little at a time, by a reputable smith, until you have what you want in a 1911. I would even try to find a used gi/base model and go from there. If you are seeking the "best" 1911 you can find for $1K then almost all of the production guns in that price range will be of similar quality. If youre budget were $1500 or so, I would be looking for a Dan Wesson, you do get alot of gun in this price range from DW.

As a side note that may be of interest to you, the "old school" SF guys that still rolled with the 1911 into the early 2000's ran WW2 usgi remmy's w/ a minor sight upgrade and skateboard grip tape on the front strap and grip panels..the majority of the mags were chip mccormick shooting stars..just sayin';)
    UPDATE- So, I ended up selling my Ruger SR1911 after grabbing a LNIB Tisas 1911 in two tone. Added the G10 grips (blue, my favorite color) plus the Taylor Tactical grip tape to the front strap. Shoots beautifully, plus I've been "rolling my own" 45ACP ammo for years. Only chore left for now? Finding somebody to help me polish the feed ramp (separate thread) so it will handle the JHP stuff. I don't trust myself to try it...

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    UPDATE- So, I ended up selling my Ruger SR1911 after grabbing a LNIB Tisas 1911 in two tone. Added the G10 grips (blue, my favorite color) plus the Taylor Tactical grip tape to the front strap. Shoots beautifully, plus I've been "rolling my own" 45ACP ammo for years. Only chore left for now? Finding somebody to help me polish the feed ramp (separate thread) so it will handle the JHP stuff. I don't trust myself to try it...
    You could always try flitz and a microfiber towel and do it by hand without any tools. Trust me I understand not wanting to mess anything up. I was very hesitant to try it and the only reason I ever did with other guns was because I had oem spare parts Incase I messed anything up.

saxmanson

Hardly Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Jan 3, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    You could always try flitz and a microfiber towel and do it by hand without any tools. Trust me I understand not wanting to mess anything up. I was very hesitant to try it and the only reason I ever did with other guns was because I had oem spare parts Incase I messed anything up.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure it needs more than polishing, so is the term I'm looking for "re-profiling" the ramp? I'm spoiled over the past 30 years by pistols in 45ACP that fed anything (Sig P220, Springfield XD45, S&W M&P 45, Shield 45, etc) so I didn't expect the JHP loads would fail to feed. MEANWHILE: this morning I did some hand cycling and the JHP's failed to feed from the top of a stacked magazine BUT worked fine when there were 5 rounds or less. Should I try other magazines??

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Actually, I'm pretty sure it needs more than polishing, so is the term I'm looking for "re-profiling" the ramp? I'm spoiled over the past 30 years by pistols in 45ACP that fed anything (Sig P220, Springfield XD45, S&W M&P 45, Shield 45, etc) so I didn't expect the JHP loads would fail to feed. MEANWHILE: this morning I did some hand cycling and the JHP's failed to feed from the top of a stacked magazine BUT worked fine when there were 5 rounds or less. Should I try other magazines??
    So, did the ruger feed the same JHP ammo that the Tisas is failing to feed?

Not trying to be awkward, just asking.

I recently bought a few ruger sr1911 used parts kits (off gunbroker) to build on aluminum frames. I was very happy with the fit and finish of the ruger parts, dropped right in the frames and functioned as well as the sig parts I also had.

I have a few 1911 variations, I like S&W the best, with SIG being comparable quality. Metro arms, which I believe to be made in the phillipines, seems to make a nice gun, I have a bobcut commander and it is very well fitted. I can imagine all of them have MIM internal parts. Thoise can be changed if desired. I am guessing the lower priced guns will have cast frames, may or may not be an issue.

saxmanson

Hardly Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Jan 3, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    So, did the ruger feed the same JHP ammo that the Tisas is failing to feed?

Not trying to be awkward, just asking.

I recently bought a few ruger sr1911 used parts kits (off gunbroker) to build on aluminum frames. I was very happy with the fit and finish of the ruger parts, dropped right in the frames and functioned as well as the sig parts I also had.

I have a few 1911 variations, I like S&W the best, with SIG being comparable quality. Metro arms, which I believe to be made in the phillipines, seems to make a nice gun, I have a bobcut commander and it is very well fitted. I can imagine all of them have MIM internal parts. Thoise can be changed if desired. I am guessing the lower priced guns will have cast frames, may or may not be an issue.
    I need to update my post because it seems the FTF became an issue only for three fresh 8-round S/S magazines I was trying out. When I noticed they didn't lock into place securely like my flush fitting mags, I tried several different JHP loads in my 7-round flush fit mags -- also my 8-round flush fit mags by Chip McCormick -- and Voila! The feeding issue immediately ceased. No need to polish feed ramps either.

JayD2011

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2022
    Louisiana
    I would consider saving your money and getting into a Wilson combat. Or similar it’s an investment and something that you won’t want to sell or upgrade. I bought Wilson back when they weren’t real popular. All of them are worth 2times as much. Cheap guns go down in value! I’m sure I’ll get some comments.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I would consider saving your money and getting into a Wilson combat. Or similar it’s an investment and something that you won’t want to sell or upgrade. I bought Wilson back when they weren’t real popular. All of them are worth 2times as much. Cheap guns go down in value! I’m sure I’ll get some comments.
    You're 100% correct. A high end firearm will depreciate less in the short-term, and it'll start appreciating in value faster.

The exception here is the gold plated, engraved eagle embellished 45th presidential commemorative edition from the Franklin Mint. That will be a worthless paperweight the second it leaves the factory.

Mike

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA

You're 100% correct. A high end firearm will depreciate less in the short-term, and it'll start appreciating in value faster.

Mike
    Tell that to the guy here been trying to sell his unfired $3300 Q mini fix pistol for a couple months now. Down to 2700 right now.

Or the other guy selling a brand new Staccato here for 1.5 months.

Nick Lasseigne of Nick's Firearms in Garyville told me (prob 10 or 15 years ago) rarely do you lose money on a firearm long term. He has been is the business for 30+ years, was on Main St in Gramercy in the beginning. Any quality firearm, and you don't have to spend 2k for one either. And in fact when you spend $2000 plus, and if you attempt to re-sell later down the road, the guys spending that sort of cash on a firearm is a smaller segment of the market overall.

If you purchased any new Smith, Colt, or Ruger pistol 25 or 30 years ago, you stand to easily double your investment. Maybe even tripling your original investment. I had a Python I purchased new back in 1993 when I had an FFL. I later made 4x my original investment, easy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom