one step closer...(UPDATE/PICS ADDED)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    well i took my class saturday with ernie gamon a.k.a "dawg23"...i must say it was a pleasure...the class was very informative and really reassured a lot of things i had already read up on...now i just have to decide on a pistol :confused: <----(noob fail) the only thing im certain of is that i want a subcompact 9mm...it seems that the general consensus is XD, GLOCK or Kahr...thinking about taking a day at precision firearms to rent them n shoot them side by side....i spoke with an employee a few minutes ago n he said they dont have the sc XD so i'll just have to get a feel of the XD through their compact model...should compare okay i guess...so far, ive only shot glocks n my very thorough career of ~135 rounds :p i like the feel of them and have no doubt id be satisfied but i figure it wont hurt to compare seeing how im already biased :mamoru: ......anywho, who cares to share an opinion with the noob???... :)

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    First of all, congrats on the progress, Z!
    Now, I admit I'm a little biased, but it really is hard to beat a Glock for being user-friendly. They work a lot like a double-action-only revolver...Pull the trigger & it goes bang. No safety switches to disengage & nothing to snag on. Glocks do what they were designed to do- work. I own several & will own more by the end of the year.
    But that's just MY opinion....In the end, you will do well to do just what you said: try out a few & pick what feels best to you. Good luck- I am sure you will find the right one!

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    like I told you when I took you to shoot my Glocks, try your hardest to hold every gun out there and figure out which one fits you the best, no one can do anything else for you besides make suggestions

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I like XD's b/c they are a little heavier than Glocks. I also like the ergonomics of the XD and the grip angle more so than Glocks.

I own the XDM .40. Very Solid piece. I've let multiple folks shoot it, and all seem to find it very shooter friendly and accurate too.

They make the XDM 9mm that holds 20!, but if Concealing is your way of carry, than might want to stick with the XD SC. That's a very popular model.

I also don't want to give my money to Austria.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Pssssst.
    Don't drink the KoolAid!
    Play with the toys first, then pick up a grown-ups gun. ;):mamoru:
    <cough> Heckler & Koch <cough> ;)

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I like XD's b/c they are a little heavier than Glocks. I also like the ergonomics of the XD and the grip angle more so than Glocks.

I own the XDM .40. Very Solid piece. I've let multiple folks shoot it, and all seem to find it very shooter friendly and accurate too.

They make the XDM 9mm that holds 20!, but if Concealing is your way of carry, than might want to stick with the XD SC. That's a very popular model.

I also don't want to give my money to Austria.

Glock=Austria.
    XD=Croatia.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    First of all, congrats on the progress, Z!
    Now, I admit I'm a little biased, but it really is hard to beat a Glock for being user-friendly. They work a lot like a double-action-only revolver...Pull the trigger & it goes bang. No safety switches to disengage & nothing to snag on. Glocks do what they were designed to do- work. I own several & will own more by the end of the year.
    But that's just MY opinion....In the end, you will do well to do just what you said: try out a few & pick what feels best to you. Good luck- I am sure you will find the right one!

I agree.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Glock=Austria.
    XD=Croatia.

Yes the lower frames are molded in Croatia, but what about the upper; and they are packaged/assembled where ?

420 W Main St
    Geneseo, IL 61254-1571
    (309) 944-5631

The USA. :cool:

Springfield is also an AMERICAN Company.

At least SOME of your money is spent in the US. :rolleyes:

I don't believe it's a uncommon practice in the industry.

Correct, but Glock is EXCLUSIVELY FOREIGN.

mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    thanx for all the feed back fellas!...i think the "try-em-both-out" advice is good...i think im being a lil impatient though...i have some extra funds coming n early next week n the temptation to just fork out n buy a g26 is taking a toll!...lol...i mean, from shooting the g26, i know i would be happy with it but they always say the grass is greener on the other side (until u get over there :rofl: )

btw: got my affidavits notarized at lunch...just a passport photo, finger prints and a "long azz wait" til the permits n the mail....:cool:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    from shooting the g26, i know i would be happy with it but they always say the grass is greener on the other side (until u get over there :rofl: )

That's all that really matters anyway, but you're right. You never know until you fire one.

I know after I fired my Old Man's Berreta Auto Shotgun, I loved it. Although I still wouldn't buy one, simply shooting it made all the difference in the world.

mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    lil update fellas:

so i went to academy to "try-on" some guns today after i got off work...the guy that helped me, tj, was real cool n explained a lot of stuff...anywho, i held both guns and let me tell ya, to me, the xd feels like im holding a broom stick(imho)...i couldnt get over the fact that there are no groves for your fingers...im not a lil guy (6' 195lbs) but my hands arent huge either...the lil groves on the glocks, to me, feel more comfortable....i held a few other guns too but by the time he handed them to me n said the name i was already handing them back because i didnt like the grip or size or weight....he also mentioned the safety difference and grip angle which i already knew about...to me i didnt notice a huge diff as far as the angle of the grip; didnt seem to be a problem...the safety wasnt much of a factor as far as comfort but again, i couldnt get past the fact that it didnt have grooves...idk, im sure some aftermarket company makes a grip slide or somethin but even if it was added, its a toss up(minus the shooting, havent done that yet:wtc:)...with all that said, glock still has the edge for me...i like the feel, it weighs less, i cant complain about accuracy heck i did okay at 20 feet for a noob, from what i hear they are extremely reliable....thats the opinion so far, feel free to correct me if im maybe misconstruing something :cool:

Top Bottom