Required Training?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LAPatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2009
    Central Louisiana
    I was under the opinion that since I'm retired military I did not have to take the initial training course. I have now heard that this is only the case if I have retired within the last 60 months. Is this true?
    Thanks,

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Correct on 60 months.

Concealed Handgun Permit New Legislation (Effective August 15, 2008)
    Pursuant to Act 487 of the 2008 Regular Session, the State of Louisiana has enacted new legislation concerning handgun permits. This act, which becomes effective August 15, 2008, amended R.S. 40:1379.3 and made several changes to the law as follows:

1. New handgun training requirements. [R.S. 40:1379.3(D)(1)(a),(b),(c),(e),(g)]
    1. Completion of any National Rifle Association handguns safety or training course conducted by a National Rifle Association certified instructor within the preceding twelve months.
    2. Completion of any Department of Public Safety and Corrections approved firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school within the preceding twelve months.
    3. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class approved by the Department of Public Safety and Corrections and offered for correctional officers, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement within the preceding twelve months (note: training for security guards was removed)
    4. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class approved by the Department of Public Safety and Corrections within the preceding twelve months.
    5. Completion of small arms training within the preceding sixty months while serving with the armed forces of the United States...

Last edited:

LAPatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2009
    Central Louisiana
    Correct on 60 months.

Concealed Handgun Permit New Legislation (Effective August 15, 2008)
    Pursuant to Act 487 of the 2008 Regular Session, the State of Louisiana has enacted new legislation concerning handgun permits. This act, which becomes effective August 15, 2008, amended R.S. 40:1379.3 and made several changes to the law as follows:

1. New handgun training requirements. [R.S. 40:1379.3(D)(1)(a),(b),(c),(e),(g)]
    1. Completion of any National Rifle Association handguns safety or training course conducted by a National Rifle Association certified instructor within the preceding twelve months.
    2. Completion of any Department of Public Safety and Corrections approved firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school within the preceding twelve months.
    3. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class approved by the Department of Public Safety and Corrections and offered for correctional officers, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement within the preceding twelve months (note: training for security guards was removed)
    4. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class approved by the Department of Public Safety and Corrections within the preceding twelve months.
    5. Completion of small arms training within the preceding sixty months while serving with the armed forces of the United States...

Thanks for confirming this. Unfortunately I'll have to find out when and where a course is being offered in the Alexandria area.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Just apply in Florida, as long as you are Active duty Military or have your dd-214, that qualifies as "applicable training" according to their web site, also they have reciprocity with more states then any other CCW issuing state. $117. out the door for military or former military.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/FORMS/FormsRequest790.html

I would advise against doing that. There is some reciprocity discussion with states that issue non-resident permits, plus Florida is about a year behind.

Also, getting a permit in your resident state supports your states program and potentially increases funds for the program due to increased sales.

Something to think about.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Can you clarify that?

Nope.

Word on the street. There has been talk of that because it basically provides a
    loop hole" of sorts for people to by pass the requirements of LA. I believe it is Fl and Utah that provide non-resident. Many states are looking at their resiprocy agreements with those staes and they may be halted or ammended until the law allows for and adjustment of some sort.

Last edited:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Nope.

Word on the street. There has been talk of that because it basically provides a
    loop hole" of sorts for people to by pass the requirements of LA. I believe it is Fl and Utah that provide non-resident. Many states are looking at their resiprocy agreements with those staes and they may be halted or ammended until the law allows for and adjustment of some sort.

Word on the street? So is it rumors? Can you provide a site? I do have a vested interest, that's why I'm asking.

kdick3

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I found a site, I think it was Florida's CHP site, said that a few states do NOT honor non-resident permits although they do honor resident permits. It said Alabama's Attorney General said there is no explicit law written not honoring non-resident Florida permits but he said it would be "up to the interpretation of the Judge / Jury" in that situation.

My GF goes to school in Alabama so that was a red flag for me. I'd rather not take the chance, and like NOLA said, I'd rather keep my money in the state of Louisiana.

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    I would advise against doing that. There is some reciprocity discussion with states that issue non-resident permits, plus Florida is about a year behind.

Also, getting a permit in your resident state supports your states program and potentially increases funds for the program due to increased sales.

Something to think about.

+1 I took the course along with 14 others. Only 2 of us applied for Louisiana license with the others going with Florida non-resident. I mailed the application on March 28th and it was entered into the system on June 19th. The nice lady answering the phone at Unit indicated another 45 to 60 days before issue. I talked with 3 class members last week about their Florida permit. Each had called inquiring of the status and were all told that their system is running approximately 8 months in arrears. They will be fortunate to receive their license in 2009.

Top Bottom