2 Florida Officers Murdered in The Line of Duty

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    An interesting read:

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2011/01/2_florida_police_officers_are.html

If you wonder why Cops are becoming "militarized" and buying and carrying evil black rifles it has a lot to do with the fact that they are increasingly being asked to perform Light Infantry task. In relation to the Utah thread THIS is why Agencies have SWAT Teams. It is a shame one wasn't employed in this case. Clearly violence directed at Law Enforcement Officers is on the rise. Unfortunately Police Officers have to keep up. My bet is you can expect to see more heavily armed and armored Cops over the next 20 years if the trend continues.

RIP Bros.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    An interesting read:

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2011/01/2_florida_police_officers_are.html

If you wonder why Cops are becoming "militarized" and buying and carrying evil black rifles it has a lot to do with the fact that they are increasingly being asked to perform Light Infantry task. In relation to the Utah thread THIS is why Agencies have SWAT Teams. It is a shame one wasn't employed in this case. Clearly violence directed at Law Enforcement Officers is on the rise. Unfortunately Police Officers have to keep up. My bet is you can expect to see more heavily armed and armored Cops over the next 20 years if the trend continues.

RIP Bros.

One was deployed.
    The two officers went to serve a warrant along with a US marshall and the perp was waiting on them. He opened fire and subsequently the SWAT team was requested.
    This is right down the street from me and NO it does'nt mean I know more that the average Joe but we are a little more centralised in proximity.
    The local media has it all fkd up...as usual.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    One was deployed.
    The two officers went to serve a warrant along with a US marshall and the perp was waiting on them. He opened fire and subsequently the SWAT team was requested.
    After the first shootout a small extraction team was assembled to get the downed officer and the U.S. Marshall.

A TAC team was then called in after the 2nd officers was killed during extraction.
    K-9 Officer Yaslowitz was struck by one of the suspect's bullets and he fell wounded inside of the attic. The U.S. Marshall was struck by the gunfire and tumbled to the first floor.

Several officers on the scene, including Sergeant Thomas Baitinger, some of whom were using ballistic shields, entered the house to rescue the fallen officer and U.S. Marshals Service Deputy. The suspect, still hidden in the attic, fired several rounds through the ceiling at the officers after they entered the house.
    http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/local/pinellas/sppd-press-release-012411

:)

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    Here's what I mean-

Fox news-
    .....Department and the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office in locating a fugitive named Hydra Lacy, Jr., DOB: 09-19-71, 6'3", 185 lbs.

Bay news Nine-
    .....said Hydra Lacy Jr. — all 6-foot-4 and 270 pounds of him — "was well-known as a guy you didn't want to cross.''

...and last night NPR had him pegged at 6' 7" 290lbs

Almost anyone who has been at the scene of some drama knows that when the spin doctors get a hold of it all you can do is stand there watching and say "that ain't what happened"
    I would'nt even trust the friggin clock they got there at the bottom of the telly- still check my watch. :D

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    At the risk of starting a furball fest, which is not my intent, this does not justify "militarization" of the police imo. And I would also disagree that patrol and/or investigative functions of LE should even be asked to perform the task of "Light Infantry" in the first place.

I grieve for those officers and their families but using their deaths as as excuse to arm each officer with automatic weapons is NOT the answer here. Better raid planning and the use, from the outset, of a high risk arrest squad, or a SWAT in this type of circumstance (known armed barricaded felon) is the answer imo.

And I do agree with you, VERY reluctantly, that we will see more armor clad, rifle toting LEOs in the future. And I think it is NOT a good thing, unless used in a very controlled manner, for very specific circumstances.

Just my .02. YMMV, and almost certainly will.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    It's a shame they couldn't have just burned his ass alive, or shot him down if he ran from the fire. What more proof is needed this was a worthless POS the world is better off WITHOUT????

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    And I do agree with you, VERY reluctantly, that we will see more armor clad, rifle toting LEOs in the future. And I think it is NOT a good thing, unless used in a very controlled manner, for very specific circumstances.

Just my .02. YMMV, and almost certainly will.

Yeah I'm not sure it's a good thing either Im just saying thats the road we are on.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sollidus_
    Top Bottom