Best Accuracy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    Is there a particular caliber that is more accurate than others? Also, which auto, from the factory, is the most accurate, withthout the human element factor? Just wondering. Thanks

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Is there a particular caliber that is more accurate than others? Also, which auto, from the factory, is the most accurate, withthout the human element factor? Just wondering. Thanks

Rimfire/Centerfire, Rifle/Pistol? Defensive caliber? You need to be more specific.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    RWS Dana 34, .177. If firearms were as accurate as this air gun it would be uncanny. I can consistently keep 5 outa 5 in a postage stamp at 25 yds. using a cheap Tasco 4x15 rimfire scope.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    If a postage stamp at 25 yards is your defenition of uncanny accuracy then every rifle I own is BADAZZ!

Just saying if we assume a postage stamp is 1" x 1" (they come in different shapes and sizes but..) then that would be a 4 MOA gun.

Last edited:

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette

Defensive round. Between the .45, 40 or 9mm. As a carry gun.

In practice, no, none of those calibers will show a noticeable difference in accuracy over the others. Things that will affect accuracy will be the consistency of the lockup of the pistol, the quality of the barrel, the trigger, sight radius and most importantly your skill with the particular gun. Some of those things affect the inherent accuracy, others affect the "practical" accuracy.

As has been said hundreds of times, find a gun that fits YOU, then practice your ass of with it.

On another note, the "most accurate" and the "most reliable" may not be the same gun.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Who needs accuracy during self defense. Your kill zone is about the size of typing paper (8.5"x11") when it comes to close quarter confrontations. Unless you want to hit him between the eyes from 25 yards out,accuracy is only about 15% of what you need to be concerned about when you are being attacked up close and personal. Unfortunately,in this society we live in and as much as we relish the thought,a 25 yard kill shot from you would label you a murderer. To answer your question though.....45acp hands down!

Last edited:

BRLAShooter

Smart @$$ Extraordinaire
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My wife is a great shot with her .45ACP. Her first time firing, none of her shots when outside the 9 circle on the paper silhouette. For a Defensive round, that seems to be all you need. We had a S&W Sigma, which she couldnt even fire well, trigger too stiff, but she loves the Springfield XD. *shrugs* my .02

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Depends on distance.

If the target is 25' away, then I'd go with whatever has about a 25' barrel (or perhaps just 25' in overall length).

So whatever round will make it to the end of that barrel is your best bet.

Last edited:

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Barrel length is a huge factor for accuracy, but it's a tradeoff with concealability.

.40 rounds are not less accurate then 9mm or .45 rounds. A large gun shooting 9mm will have much more manageable recoil than a small gun shooting .45.

Almost ANY gun with ANY caliber is accurate enough to defend yourself. Even that snubbie revolver which, imo, is the least accurate gun, will get the job done at 7 feet and in.

We should NOT be shooting people 25' away in general.

I think at 10 feet I could put every round into the torso of an average man, no matter the caliber or model.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    In practice, no, none of those calibers will show a noticeable difference in accuracy over the others. Things that will affect accuracy will be the consistency of the lockup of the pistol, the quality of the barrel, the trigger, sight radius and most importantly your skill with the particular gun. Some of those things affect the inherent accuracy, others affect the "practical" accuracy.

As has been said hundreds of times, find a gun that fits YOU, then practice your ass of with it.

On another note, the "most accurate" and the "most reliable" may not be the same gun.

This pretty much sums it up.

Now back to the pissing contest of my gun is better than your gun.

BRLAShooter

Smart @$$ Extraordinaire
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'd have to agree with Fishing. When I go to the range, I only practice at 10'-15', because I don't think I'd need to fire on someone at 25' away. I was no less accurate with my 9mm than with my .45, and I've never fired a .40, but the size of the gun does play a big part. My 5" .45 is very steady and balanced so I dont have near as much recoil as I did when I shot a SC 9mm.

Top Bottom