10 Year Old Shoots Intruders in Port Allen

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Someone should send this kid a Bayoushooter shirt!

http://www.wafb.com/global/story.asp?s=10741492

And it's made the front page of Digg:

http://digg.com/people/Child_shoots_intruder_during_home_break_in

PORT ALLEN, LA (WAFB) - A ten-year-old boy left home alone with his sister used his mother's gun to shoot an intruder in the face, police said.

Late Tuesday, West Baton Rouge Parish sheriff's deputies received a call to a Port Allen apartment complex after several shots rang out from inside one of the apartments. "You are out here trying to work and for someone to come and do that and invade your home is very hard," the children's mother said. She asked to not be identified.

Deputies say Dean Favron and Roderick Porter knocked several times on the apartment door. The two young children, a ten-year-old boy and eight-year-old girl, stood on the other side, terrified. "He told his sister to be quiet and seconds later, they started kicking on the door and finally kicked the door in," said Sheriff Mike Cazes. The two children ran to their mother's bedroom closet.

In a panic, the ten-year-old grabbed his mother's gun for protection. "He did what I told him to do. I never told him to get the gun, but thank God he did," she said. Once the two suspects opened the door, threatening the kids, deputies say the boy fired a bullet into the lip of Roderick Porter. The two men were taken to the hospital by a third suspect, who is a 15-year-old juvenile. Once they got to the hospital, they were later arrested. "It's just hard. I don't understand why they would do that. I know they have little brothers and sisters and they wouldn't want anyone to break into their house," said the mother.

Each man is held on $150,000 bond. The juvenile, was taken to a local detention center. One of the suspects, Dean Favron, just finished serving almost seven years in prison for aggravated assault on a Baton Rouge police officer and two carjacking charges. He was released on June 6th.

Both men will appear before a judge next month.

Top Comments from Digg:

And the child will always live with the pride of knowing that he did what he could to protect his sister.

Oh, are they going to have fun in jail, getting shot by a 10 year old.

Where were the police? Oh, that's right... A few minutes away.

Last edited:

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    Now, how is the little sister going to feel if her big brother gets a T shirt for shootin' the robbers and she doesn't? I'll pay for her T shirt.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I am ever so happy that these children were not hurt but I'm upset that a 10 yr old and an 8 yr old were left alone to begin with. The fact that there was access to a loaded gun makes the situation even more difficult for me. Aren't there laws against leaving young children unsupervised? Has social services stepped in to determine if these children are being properly cared for? This is a prime example of children being placed in the path of danger.

Wow. I don't even know what to say about that...

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Wow. I don't even know what to say about that...

Do you think it was OK for a 10 and 8 yo to be left along, much less with a loaded gun accessible?

I mean, at least it ended good, but what it the 10 year old had accidently shot the 8 year old? I am all about kids shooting, but there is definitely something wrong here.

I don't have kids, and god knows I was a latch key kid, but 10 and 8? Am I just over reacting?

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Do you think it was OK for a 10 and 8 yo to be left along, much less with a loaded gun accessible?

I mean, at least it ended good, but what it the 10 year old had accidently shot the 8 year old? I am all about kids shooting, but there is definitely something wrong here.

I don't have kids, and god knows I was a latch key kid, but 10 and 8? Am I just over reacting?

You think a 10 year old can't be mature enough to be left alone with a loaded weapon?

Besides, you can play the what if game all day long but the fact of the matter is this kid had the maturity to handle the situation better than many adults would.

Would the commenter rather the parent(s) be home with their children and on welfare and having the government take care of them then have them be at work taking care of their family like they should?

Maybe the gun was there FOR this. I don't know the area so I can't say but you better believe my kid will know how to hit a melon sized target when he gets that age.

mrdbeau

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Slidell Area
    I'm with Spank on this one...

I started being left alone at probably 11 or 12... I don't remember the exact age. Now, it wasn't like an all day thing, just when my mom or dad were running to the local grocery store, you know, 20-30 minute quick trips or whatever, but I never thought it was a big deal.

And as far as having a loaded weapon in the house, when I was a really young kid, my parents had a couple shotguns that they left unloaded, but the ammo was easy enough to get to, and I knew where it was at, and by the time I was 10, I'm SURE I knew how to load and use it, if needed. I started shooting BB guns by the time I was 4 or 5 and .22 shortly after that.

So... I dunno, but I don't think it was a huge big deal.

columbo

La CHP Instructor #468
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Alexandria
    Boy, what a mixed bag....

As shooters and 2nd Amendment supporters, we are kinda stuck here.

kid saves sister/self------------GOOD!
    kid has access to gun-----------BAD!
    scum bags go to hospital/jail----GOOD!
    mom leaves kids home alone-----BAD!

I think the mom said he was doing what he was told to do (or words to that effect). That would leave me to believe she knew that the weapon was available to the kid. All's well that ends well???

I need to chew this up a bit. Still, send the kid a shirt. I'll pay.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    As shooters and 2nd Amendment supporters, we are kinda stuck here.

kid saves sister/self------------GOOD!
    kid has access to gun-----------BAD!
    scum bags go to hospital/jail----GOOD!
    mom leaves kids home alone-----BAD!

I think the mom said he was doing what he was told to do (or words to that effect). That would leave me to believe she knew that the weapon was available to the kid. All's well that ends well???

I need to chew this up a bit. Still, send the kid a shirt. I'll pay.

Come on, I doubt this woman, who cannot seem to speak proper english by what she was quoted in the story took the time to "train" her 10 year old?

Sounds more like inbred hood ratism to me.

I agree, at that point, the kids were victims, and I am glad it ended well for them, but i think that was more a product of luck, and the same behavior could be a nother media story of a gun left unattended and a child was hurt killed.

Spanky, do you leave your weapons loaded in reach and knowledge of your kids?

Just curious. I don't have kids, so my judgement may be a littl eoff. But obviously being a gun guy, this still struck me a little bad.

columbo

La CHP Instructor #468
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Alexandria
    NFW!!!!

Mom needs her a$$ kicked! The kids would not have been in such a pickle if they were not left alone! Kid did what he had to do. Apartment gets burguled. Family looses a TV and some crappy stuff!

bkeach

Warrior Bride!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    California
    He got shot in the face and the bullet ended up in his lip? What kind of gun? A bb gun?

columbo

La CHP Instructor #468
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Alexandria
    Don't misunderstand me

The whole situation sucks. The problem is that there are many more kids out there in this situation. Reading the story, we feel for the kids. We do a wave because the kids are okay and the scumbags are recuperating from gunshot wounds. This does not excuse bad parenting and sorry gun control. This type of crap is what we are all about stopping. Bad procedures, bad press and bad situation. The kid does have a set, though. You gotta admit.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Whatever, that just seemed a little young to me. But then again, I do not have kiids.

Would you let your kids go to a house and be babysat by a 10-year old?

That is completely different.

i will have raised my child, whereas i don't know who or how the babysitter was raised.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Come on, I doubt this woman, who cannot seem to speak proper english by what she was quoted in the story took the time to "train" her 10 year old?

Sounds more like inbred hood ratism to me.

I agree, at that point, the kids were victims, and I am glad it ended well for them, but i think that was more a product of luck, and the same behavior could be a nother media story of a gun left unattended and a child was hurt killed.

Spanky, do you leave your weapons loaded in reach and knowledge of your kids?

Just curious. I don't have kids, so my judgement may be a littl eoff. But obviously being a gun guy, this still struck me a little bad.

No, I don't. Also, my child is not 4 years old yet.

You can rest assured by the time he is 10 I will not have any qualms about it.

The problem with kids and guns is that if you hide them, keep them some big secret, some thing they should be afraid of, etc, etc, they will naturally become more curious and more inclined to "play" with them. Whereas, if you teach them safety, respect, shooting, etc they will, in my opinion, be less inclined to do things they know they shouldn't since their inquisitive nature is already satisfied by you letting them shoot/touch/clean/handle the guns when you are around.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Two other ways this could have been handled.

Mom at home - Mom and kids are on welfare, government assistance, etc etc because mom is probably not making enough to pay for day care so she can either work or stay home and live off the government

NO gun at home - kids are killed, kidnapped, beat up, etc etc because there was nothing there for the boy to defend them with.

I suppose those two scenarios are better than what happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom