I'm going Dillon: Which one...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    RL 550B vs. XL 650

I just have no idea. I'm loading for .223, .40 and .45 Colt.

Is auto indexing and the case feed system option something I would eventually want/miss. I don't mind loading cases on the Lee Turret, though. Also, I can't imagine I'll go through more than 700 or so rounds in any given month.

Thanks

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Get the RL 550. I have both and use the 550 much more. The 550 loads all my rifle ammo and revolver ammo.
    The 650 is for high volume loading....9mm, 38Super, and 40 S&W

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I went with the 650. A lot of people tried to talk me out of going with that one but I'm glad I did. It's a little more costly when changing calibers but I like the case feeder and auto index a lot.

Brianenos.com is where I got mine. He is great to deL
    with and his we site has a FAQ and will cover any questions you will have. His Free Fast shipping don't Hurt either.

Last edited:

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Primer flip tray, tool heads for each caliber, and tool head stands for each. Depending on the height of your bench, you may want the strong mount. It gives the press a larger footprint.

The case feeder is available for the 550 but I wouldn't get one right away. Learn the press and you can add it later.

Auto indexing isn't that big an issue. The case feeder will save much more time than AI.

Last edited:

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    I'll have my Dillon first, which makes me better than you. :p

Thanks for the help all. I'm dusting the credit card off, and I'm as giddy as a little girl.

WB5QBK

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Caddo Parish
    Suggest 550 with the case feeder unless you are going for high volume and NO CHANGES. I have both the 650 and the 550, both with case feeders. The 650 is a pain to change calibers, especially if you have to change primer sizes.
    My biggest hassle with the 650 occurs when I need to check something and screw up by short stroking the handle and mess up the primer advance.....then you have to take it apart and start over. I'm glad I have the 650, but I have to pay more attention to details with it than I do with the more forgiving 550b.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Go with Brian Enos when ordering. He will personally walk you through, pick your brain on your level of familiarity, experience and put a great package together. Free shipping on order over $400.

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    Get the RL 550. I have both and use the 550 much more. The 550 loads all my rifle ammo and revolver ammo.
    The 650 is for high volume loading....9mm, 38Super, and 40 S&W

I agree with Scott, because I have two 550's and a 650. The 550 is a work horse and is easier to convert calibers when the primers sizes are different.

The 650 is a bit faster, but I don't think you would notice a big difference.

Good Luck in which ever you choose.

Buddy

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Dont forget that Larry over at LA Gun and Reloading sells Dillons for the same price (plus tax), plus you get hands on help and a very helpful lesson on how to set it up and use it. Good guys over there if you are going to be this way soon.

Very true. When I bought it was quicker for me to order it from Brian Enos because at that time I could not make it over to LA Gun. Obviously buying local would be a nice first option if you have that option.

Texasflyboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    RL 550B vs. XL 650

550B hands down. I own two 550B's, one 650 (.45ACP) and one RL1050 (9x19) and of those, I find myself using the 550 more and more.

It's really hard to beat the versatility of the 550B.

The 1050 can really crank out 9mm. Pros: Can load a .30 caliber ammo can full of 9mm in about two hours or less. Cons: Screw up on one station and it can be hard to get the station cleared and keep the rhythm going.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Another happy 550B owner. Brian Enos' EZ-Buy packages are a good starting point.

Pick up an additional package of primer tubes...with 5 you can load 500 primers at a time, which is the most tedious aspect of the job so you don't have to break your loading rhythm...or concentration. I use a couple of little gooseneck battery powered LED lights on either side of the strong mount. The one on the left (when facing the press) shines down on the left side of the shellplate so you can visually confirm powder drop.

If you check everything carefully whenever you stop or are interrupted you will not miss the auto index: it's a little easier to straighten out problems without it.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Dillon offers a nice setup video are just a few bucks. I also recommend Brian Enos' DVD on Competition Reloading. Both will answer nearly any question you might have in setting up and getting started.

Top Bottom