need load data for 40 S&W

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Your are missing alot of information with that recipe such as OAL and what VV powder at 3.5g. For pistol you have N310, N320, N330, N340, N350, 3N37, 3n38.

phillip

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Shreveport
    Sorry, N320. I rolled a few up at 3.5 and had a chitload of failures. I ended up at 4.5 Grns of VV N320. Most all the failures went away. Yall think it would be OK to take it up to 5.0 Grns????

BTW, Im loading to the max OAL...1.135 ish.

Last edited:

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    4.5gr is more than enough at that OAL. Check to see if your primers aren't flattening or flowing. 4.5gr is very close to making major power factor on my long chambered STI with an OAL of 1.20. What gun are you shooting this load from? Have you used a chronograph?

Last edited:

phillip

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Shreveport
    Im shooting it from a S&W MP. Ive got a hornady manual and the VV manual, But I cant find the data for a conical tip. If this is what I have. Their seems to be some speculation that its NOT a Truncated cone as is rubber stamped on the box. The primers arnt showing any signs of flattning or flowing. Ill get a pic posted of the bullet here in a bit. The manual I have states that the max OAL is 1.135, How can you go to 1.20??? What does this do VS 1.135?
    Thanks guys, This is gooood info.;)

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    He can go to 1.2 because I would bet he is shooting this out a 1911 or 2011 gun. These guns are designed around the 1911 pistol which was of course the 45 ACP which is a much longer round than the 40 S&W SAMMI spec is. Basicly the length does not matter to a point as long as the bullet is not engaging the rifiling because the case indexes off of the case mouth and not off of the bullet. Most people shooting 2011's load long for more reliable feeding of the round into the chamber in 2011 style guns. These are the standard for USPSA competion that scooter shoots in. The longer you load the more case volume there is so you might have to bump up the charge a few tenths in order to get the velocity you are looking for as opposed to a factory gun. You cannont load out that long because the bullets would not fit in your mag. That is why when getting a load you have to know EVERYTHING and be careful. 180gr FMJ are not the same as loading 180gr Cast. Also 4.5gr VV320 is way different loaded to 1.135" as opposed to 1.200". I would think that your load of 4.5 VV320 is about max or maybe even past. As Art has stated according to his data 4.3 is max. Why do you want to go hotter? More recoil = slower follow up shots, more powder that you have to by, and I would think 5.0 is past safe loaded to 1.135"

Last edited:

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    My STI is a custom built gun. The chamber is cut longer to allow for the added OAL. The STI guns were designed for 45acp/10mm OAL. For reliable feeding with 40S&W, I load close to 10mm length, I use 10mm mags.
    Do not load above published max loads for a gun with standard SAMMI chamber. Know what you are trying to achieve before you start loading, check your velocities with a chronograph, and look for any and all pressure signs.
    40S&W is a high pressure cartridge and a shorter OAL than published could spell disaster.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    He can go to 1.2 because I would bet he is shooting this out a 1911 or 2011 gun. These guns are designed around the 1911 pistol which was of course the 45 ACP which is a much longer round than the 40 S&W SAMMI spec is. Basicly the length does not matter to a point as long as the bullet is not engaging the rifiling because the case indexes off of the case mouth and not off of the bullet. Most people shooting 2011's load long for more reliable feeding of the round into the chamber in 2011 style guns. These are the standard for USPSA competion that scooter shoots in. The longer you load the more case volume there is so you might have to bump up the charge a few tenths in order to get the velocity you are looking for as opposed to a factory gun. You cannont load out that long because the bullets would not fit in your mag. That is why when getting a load you have to know EVERYTHING and be careful. 180gr FMJ are not the same as loading 180gr Cast. Also 4.5gr VV320 is way different loaded to 1.135" as opposed to 1.200". I would think that your load of 4.5 VV320 is about max or maybe even past. As Art has stated according to his data 4.3 is max. Why do you want to go hotter? More recoil = slower follow up shots, more powder that you have to by, and I would think 5.0 is past safe loaded to 1.135"
    Also, when you get loading data from someone, you need to get the whole recipe as I stated earlier and always fall back to the reloading manuals for SAAMI loading recommendations.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I've looked at VV's website before. They seem to be under loading big time to get those published velocities. I'm running 5.0 grains on 180 grain LRN GAT bullet. I've talked to other competitors who are running closer to 5.0 grains as well. Of course I'm putting that load in a 610 S&W revolver which means I could triple charge, compress the powder, and still most likely not hurt the weapon or myself.

Follow Scooter's advice. I have it's good. Trust scooter, scooter is wise. :)

Dave

phillip

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Shreveport

I was thinking about bumping it up for reliable feeding and the ability to knock down some poppers Im building. 5/16 thick vs 1/4. Im thinking they will hold up better than the 1/4. The added thickness would call for a little more oomph to get it to go down.
    So just so were straight here, Ill stay at my 1.135 max OAL. 4.5Grns of N320 VV is functioning the gun(Ive only run 10 rounds of this thru it) So I may consider lowering the charge by a tenth untill I start having failures again, Then bump it back up, Say .2 Grns.???

phillip

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Shreveport
    IMG_1401.jpg

OK, Looks like I may have been wrong. I checked a couple primers at 4.5 and didnt see flattening, I gathered up all the brass when I was done and threw it in the brass box yesterday. Just now, I got these few off the top. 2 look flattened. This could be from the guy I bought it from (Im working out of a flat rate box that was shipped to me), But I dont think so. Ill double check this tomorrow but it looks like its a little hot.
    As for the cast bullet, What do yall think? Truncated Cone, or Conical Tip?

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Accuracy and precision goes without saying is the first priority. After that I'd go with which ever bullet feeds reliably and you can get inexpensively.

Dave

phillip

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Shreveport
    Ok fellas, I reduced my load to 4.0 grns, And she functions fine. The only complaint I have is that the cast bullets smoke like crazy. I guess its the lube. At first, with my 45, I thought it was the Win 231 I was loading. I took some advise and tried the VV. Same thing, I guess Ill have to break down and pony up for some FMJs. :wtc:

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    Sorry, N320. I rolled a few up at 3.5 and had a chitload of failures. I ended up at 4.5 Grns of VV N320. Most all the failures went away. Yall think it would be OK to take it up to 5.0 Grns????

BTW, Im loading to the max OAL...1.135 ish.

NO, not with a cast bullet. My major load is 4.4 grains of VV-320 over a 180 grain bullet and it gives me about 175 power factor from my five inch gun. If I go to a 175 gr. LSWC the same charge give me about 171 or so p f. I was loading out to 1.185" but came back to the same length your using and saw very little change over the chrono. I shoot this load through a Dawson Edge and a STI 6" custom gun. Both pistols have supported chambers.There are no signs of pressure and not much recoil.

I have been using E-3 lately due to VV powders get hard to find at times. It works very well and takes 4.0 grains in the short gun with the 175 LSWC and a 1/10 less with the 180 LTC. You should work up to these loads because each gun is different and you may get different results.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom