22.lr ar upper choices?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Does anyone make one that runs reliably? I’ve been looking into .22lr ar options to save some money on ammo. So far it seems like the M&P 15-22 and tippmann are the best options but neither one comes with or works on a traditional mil spec lower. I would prefer buying a .22lr dedicated upper if they have one that’s worth buying.

I have a lower I can dedicate to it as well so I’m not exactly expecting to be able to toss it on any mil spec lower and run. I’d just like to get something set up that closely mimics what I already have. Any input would be appreciated.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I have the CMMG 22LR conversion for my Colt 6940. It is about $220 with 3 25 round mags.
    It runs well, only difference is the mag won't drop free because the mag follower is the bolt hold open so you have to remove the mag and rack when the full mag is in place.
    On paper plate size targets out to 50 yards the 223 zero on my Aimpoint POR is good enough. I use it and a Glock 44 to reduce ammo cost doing drills. It has no more or less malfunctions than you would expect from any 22 semi auto.
    If you want tack driving accuracy you would need a barrel specifically for 22LR and for that I use my Ruger 10/22.

perilloux5

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I found it easier to just buy a dedicated AR style 22 rifle. Same cosmetic feel as a standard AR rifle without having to deal with the conversion kits.

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    I run a CMMG conversion bolt with their factory mags and the Black Dogs and love it. Just gotta keep it clean and it runs great. Think I have less than 250 invested in it with 4 mags. Being able to train cheaper with my property defense setup is worth every penny.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Do not order from CMMG. Get a,whole rifle or upper from some one who has it in stock.
    A quick Google of CMMG will show they are screwing guys right now.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    I also went the CMMG bolt/barrel combo and rolled my own upper. The 15-22 is damned hard to beat for a complete gun, and the price is about what you'd pay for a good upper anyway.

If you want to party for relatively cheap, Bear Creek makes complete 22lr uppers for about $260. QC will be limited so I'd double-check everything before shooting it, but the price is right.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I have the CMMG 22LR conversion for my Colt 6940. It is about $220 with 3 25 round mags.
    It runs well, only difference is the mag won't drop free because the mag follower is the bolt hold open so you have to remove the mag and rack when the full mag is in place.
    On paper plate size targets out to 50 yards the 223 zero on my Aimpoint POR is good enough. I use it and a Glock 44 to reduce ammo cost doing drills. It has no more or less malfunctions than you would expect from any 22 semi auto.
    If you want tack driving accuracy you would need a barrel specifically for 22LR and for that I use my Ruger 10/22.
    I already have a 10/22. I’m just looking for a good trainer gun with decent accuracy. A dedicated .22lr upper would be ideal but I wouldn’t be opposed to a conversion kit if the accuracy is half decent. As long as I can still get hits on target I’d be fine with it

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I guess the only concern I see with buying the 15-22 or tippmann is a lot of reviews say the feel of the gun isn’t the same as a real AR. I would also like the ability to put the same trigger and grip that I run on all of my lowers currently. Is that possible with the 15-22 or tippmann?

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    I already have a 10/22. I’m just looking for a good trainer gun with decent accuracy. A dedicated .22lr upper would be ideal but I wouldn’t be opposed to a conversion kit if the accuracy is half decent. As long as I can still get hits on target I’d be fine with itbuttanic
    I've had zero issues hitting targets up to 50 yards without having to re zero. That happens to be the extent of my range so I can't comment on further out

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I've had zero issues hitting targets up to 50 yards without having to re zero. That happens to be the extent of my range so I can't comment on further out
    Same here, although I rarely shoot that far with the conversion I can get hits on a 16" steel plate at 100 yards using CCI 40gr Mini Mgs, that's using a 50/200 zero for 223 with a bit of hold over. As far a convenience, pull out the bolt carrier and bolt and slip in the conversion bolt, takes all of 45 seconds.

BrandonPle

Gunlover
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Watson
    I have a 15-22 with thousands of rounds thru it.
    I did install a volquartsen barrel , extractor and firing pin after the first 2,500 - 3,000 rounds.
    No issues from it all ...ever.
    Accurate and reliable.
    Not as heavy as a standard AR but everything else is the exact same

petingrass

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    New Orleans area
    Important to point out that the 15-22 is (and probably the Tippman) is that neither the upper nor lower are standard AR pattern. You can't swap the upper/lower with a centerfire one.

Having said that, buying a complete M&P 15-22 is a good option. I got one because I wanted a 22 AR that was reliable. The magazine design is IMO the best on the market. It may be a pro or a con for you but the M&P is extremely light. Not precisely toylike, but much lighter than a centerfire rifle.

Everybody I've talked to who has more than casual plinking or hunting in mind has basically gone the same path with buying and replacing stuff. Start with 22 Conversion>Rimfire only rifle> Building or buying a dedicated 22 upper/rifle.

If you want to build your own upper, stick with CMMG parts and stay away from the cheaper BCA versions. Order from a third party supplier, because ordering direct from CMMG is a pain.

After going through all the above steps the gun that gets the most action is this little suppressed 22 SBR setup. Only downside is it's going to take a lifetime to break even on the ammunition cost. :D

IMG_20220709_135718.jpg

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    I have 2 John cenier(now cmmg) kits that's I turned into dedicated 22lr uppers with cmmg barrels. My 3rd is gonna be a besr creek arsenal 22mag upper.

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    I already have a 10/22. I’m just looking for a good trainer gun with decent accuracy. A dedicated .22lr upper would be ideal but I wouldn’t be opposed to a conversion kit if the accuracy is half decent. As long as I can still get hits on target I’d be fine with it
    This was today at 33 yards out of a 500 dollar AR build. Center was shot kneeling with me wobbling all over the place, the other two rested off my UTV. Think I was shooting Aguila. If you're a better shot than me you'll be just fine i think lol

Attachments

• 20220802_153856.jpg
      20220802_153856.jpg
      564.8 KB · Views: 62

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I have to say, shooting 22’s is definitely my bag. I have only done one dedicated 22 upper but I’ve used a couple of different conversion kits to run it. One old trainer and a CMMG set up. The upper itself was just random decent parts, Anderson receiver, M4 profile barrel made by VooDoo, $80 decent key mod rail and a Sig red dot. It runs fine with both groups but you gotta clean it regularly or you’ll have problems, more so with the trainer. The CMMG is the Alpha model. I didn’t use a .22LR barrel because I wanted the option of always being able to just swap a BCG and having a real AR, although I’ve never shot a 5.56 round through it.
    I also have a Walther/Colt carbine that I’ve barely shot. It’s been 100% for me. Got the M&P 15/22 on a blowout sale a few years ago and haven’t shot it much either. What I really love to shoot is the 10/22 rifles that I’ve converted. The first one I built because the SR22 kits were being discontinued and I got one really cheap from Brownells. The other is Nordic something or other and I like it a little better because it uses a standard free float tube. I use the same grips and stocks as my favorite beater AR carbines and just rattle off thousands of rounds from these little guns. I even squirrel hunt with one using the little 3X Nikon P223 scope.
    These have all been reliable rifles, but like I say, hard to beat the 10/22 if for no other reason than reliability and those awesome BX25 magazines.

Last edited:

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    I have the 2 John Ciener kits, which i use the CMMG collar on a CMMG wasp barrel, and the CMMG kits are an identical replica, if not they bought the patent. Im now looking at the Bear Creek Arsenal 22mag upper for my 3rd 22 ar.

Top Bottom