22 LR supply

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Davidg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2013
    Bentley, La
    So when will the 22 LR supply catch up with demand? When will people have enough on their shelves that they stop buying the last box at Academy? I admit to being wrong on this one. I honestly thought that supply would have equalled demand by now. I've not seen a box of 22's at Walmart in over a year. They do get small quantities in occasionally, but it's wiped out by hoarders in minutes. Surely this will stop some day.....maybe.

Ferrara Fire

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2013
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    I get .22lr in weekly. It is out there, people just buy it all up. In January I am going to a show, I will be able to order for the year. I should be able to get larger quantities, right now I am getting the scraps.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    So when will the 22 LR supply catch up with demand? When will people have enough on their shelves that they stop buying the last box at Academy? I admit to being wrong on this one. I honestly thought that supply would have equalled demand by now. I've not seen a box of 22's at Walmart in over a year. They do get small quantities in occasionally, but it's wiped out by hoarders in minutes. Surely this will stop some day.....maybe.

Why do you assume the people snatching it up are hoarders? I'd be willing to bet that if a few boxes came in while you were there, they wouldn't last long, and I don't think you're a hoarder.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    IMHO WHY....!

I've not seen a box of 22's at Walmart in over a year. They do get small quantities in occasionally, but it's wiped out by hoarders in minutes. Surely this will stop some day.....maybe.

Thank Wally World management for dat:}

i7odml2xwy6sx6jxoi4.jpg

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I get .22lr in weekly. It is out there, people just buy it all up. In January I am going to a show, I will be able to order for the year. I should be able to get larger quantities, right now I am getting the scraps.

Is there a way you can keep us in the loop on what you might be able to get pricing and such I would be in for a few thousand rounds.

peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    My dad buys it at Walmart quite often. But he buys it and sells to friends for what he paid and gives it as gifts. I got 2000 from him for Christmas and birthday.

alpharic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Why do you assume the people snatching it up are hoarders? I'd be willing to bet that if a few boxes came in while you were there, they wouldn't last long, and I don't think you're a hoarder.

He wasnt saying you were a hoarder, specifically, but if the shoe fits wear it. I can only assume if you take offense to this post, thay maybe you are a hoarder, because there are definitely some truth to the OP's post.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Because the huge demand for 22LR and essentially it being off the shelves per say for the last year and for the foreseeable future, why are they not new startup companies to capitalize on the market?

I'm sure if China was allowed they would be importing the cr@p out of 22LR. I don't know what the quality would be??....I think NORINKO imported ammo in the 70's and 80's but then we banned it......stupid that we still have a ban on ammo when they make 97% of the stuff in WalMart - so what's ammo importation going to hurt for .22LR?

But I guess they would be called Burrets instead....!!!

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    He wasnt saying you were a hoarder, specifically, but if the shoe fits wear it. I can only assume if you take offense to this post, thay maybe you are a hoarder, because there are definitely some truth to the OP's post.

Actually, I don't own a single round of 22, nor anything chambered in it. No offense was taken on my part. I was simply trying to give him another perspective and make the point that maybe the people getting there first are tying to shoot it too.

BTW here is some subsonic 22, at $50 a brick.

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-GEMGSS22C

Last edited:

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Actually, I don't own a single round of 22, nor anything chambered in it. No offense was taken on my part. I was simply trying to give him another perspective and make the point that maybe the people getting there first are tying to shoot it too. Assumption is apparently code for not knowing what you're talking about.

OUCH!

alpharic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Actually, I don't own a single round of 22, nor anything chambered in it. No offense was taken on my part. I was simply trying to give him another perspective and make the point that maybe the people getting there first are tying to shoot it too.

Ok

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

petingrass

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    New Orleans area
    I would guess its Because setting up the tooling and working out the supply chains takes time. Definitely months and probably the better part of a year.

I would imagine that the existing suppliers are gobbling up all the raw materials. I'd imagine that theyd prefer to sell large orders of primers to their existing customers than to sell small orders to the new guy.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    There is a story on this in the NRA American Rifleman latest issue. There are more rimfire options these days also with a diverse selection from CB to magnums. Production lines I assume make quantities of one type for X-number of rounds and then set-up on a different variety. Manufacturers are slow to expand permanent production when the market is in perhaps a consumption bubble. Even if a line is making only .22LR, look at the varieties of that round that are offered, 60gr SSS to 29 gr hypervelocity from low-end blasting to match grade.
    I think there will be a shift in cost to the consumer because the price willing to be paid is proving out a new pricing structure and manufacturers could just manipulate supply to cause price increases.

BayouRat

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2012
    Luling
    Here is the problem as I see it. As long as people are willing to pay a premium on Gun Broker and other auction sites. People are going to keep buying it up and selling it at higher prices. Basic Economics. Supply and Demand.

Two months ago my local Wally World finally started getting a decent supply back into stock. Three box max. purchase. I was able to buy three boxes on Wednesdays when they stocked the shelves. But last week the shelves went bare again. The clerk told me another employee was calling people (Friends and Family) when the truck came in and they were buying it as soon as it hit the shelves.

Top Bottom