.223 or .204

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana

Ammo is widely available & will be for many years to come. The .204 is nice but it's not as common so less variety will be around & you'll probably pay premium ammo prices.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    personally, yeah

Ammo diversity & availability is important to me.

If you plan on reloading it may not be an issue at all.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    To quote my brother who wheres a tin foil hat when asked why he would buy an AR-15 vs. AR-10.

Because when the SHTF I will be able to pick up .223 off of dead soldiers and cops as they lay in the streets.

His scenario of SHTF is a lot worse than I have envisioned.

Is the .204 the smallest centerfire round made?

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    To quote my brother who wheres a tin foil hat when asked why he would buy an AR-15 vs. AR-10.

Because when the SHTF I will be able to pick up .223 off of dead soldiers and cops as they lay in the streets.

His scenario of SHTF is a lot worse than I have envisioned.

Is the .204 the smallest centerfire round made?

There is a .17 centerfire - It doesn't look real. I consider .177 to be a bit small for an air rifle.

4,422 is the max velocity but most are in the 4,200 range.
    I'll bring a round if i remember to next event.

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    A 223 would be a little more versatile….in some states, you can hunt deer with a 223.

Plus, the 223 has a large variety of bullets and factory loads. You have options from cheap plinking stuff to match grade ammo. Some shooters are beginning to use 100gr bullets for 1,000 yard competitions.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I don't get it. A 6 pound rifle for prarie dogs? From what I know (from reading, I'm not a varminter unless you count nutria) you shoot prarie dogs from a folding bench or out the back of a truck. You build a 12 pound rifle with a long unturned barrel, 24x scope, and a heavy stock. Then add sandbags to keep it from moving when you shoot. You sit still all day and go through 1000 rounds of ammo shooting at moving small targets. Could be fun, but I'm not driving to Montana and paying $3K for a good varmint rifle to use once or twice a year.
    This is a lightweight rifle that would be good for mountains. Build it in .243 or 6mm ppc or 7mm BR even. Then you could use it for sheep, varmint, coyote, or even deer. Or build a light .308 and move up the scale to elk and moose and forget the varmint.
    If you want a good varmint rifle get a BAT machine or Nesika action, add a Jewel trigger, McMillan stock, heavy match barrel, etc.

Top Bottom