gunsmithing/refinishing near hammond area?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I recently inherited a 1911 which was my grandfathers when he was in the national guard. It went through hurricane katrina and has pitting on the slide and frame. It was redone by someone near hammond a couple years ago when my dad brought it to them. Whoever did it ( not sure who ) but the blueing is already coming off after being shot for the first time in 3 years. The gun is functional as far as shooting a bullet out of the barrel. However the next round doesn't load so smoothly.

The frame has stamped :
    ESSEX ARMS CORP.
    ISLAND POND, VT.

The right side of the slide has stamped :
    COLT'S MFG. CO. HARTFORD CT. USA

The left side of the slide has stamped :
    GOVERNMENT MODEL COLT AUTOMATIC CALIBER .45

I don't know much about this gun other than that it was issued to my grandfather by the guard. I went out today to honey island and shot a few rounds through it but the trigger and hammer are, well... rough. I'm looking to possibly drop in a new trigger and hammer and get the gun refinished, without burning a hole in my pocket.

- DAVE

Hankroberts

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Did you find someone to go over the gun for you? I don't do gunsmith work as a business but I've always liked the 1911 and have worked on several, from action jobs to complete builds. As long as you're not in a hurry (this is a hobby for me) I'd be happy to look at it.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Other than myself, a friend, and the owner of the shop out in Pearl River. No one else has looked through it besides the guy that did the terrible job in the first place. I'm not worried about the finish so much. I'm worried about the trigger action not functioning properly. I had the wrong magazine at the range and it wouldn't feed properly.

I have no clue as to how to take the lower apart with all those pins, I'd be glad to bring it to someone for a once over before I go spending $ on replacement parts.

-Dave

Hankroberts

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    No one else has looked through it besides the guy that did the terrible job in the first place.
    If the PM you got doesn't have a better offer, contact me and I'll be happy to look it over; help you learn how to deal with it; and discuss anything you want done to it: no charge for that. I don't do this for a living so if I charge anything it is parts plus a small fee if I have to do intricate work or a LOT of work. As to takedown, that thing's pretty simple, down to the last pin/screw: I haven't looked but I'd bet everything you need to know is online.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Dave, there will be a pistol match at the Tangi Sheriff's range, in Amite, Sunday. More than likely, Lloyd Landry will be there. He's a pretty good smith and I'm sure he can help you out.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    A friend of mine has been to one of those matches. I'd really like to go to one one day. Do you know if they allow cameras?

Another update on the pistol :

I tried another magazine with multiple types/brands of ammo and I still cannot get the pistol to feed right. With the magazine pushed in as far as it will go, when a round is attempting to be chambered, it hits the bottom of the feed ramp on the barrel.

Top Bottom