Federal 410 Personal Defense pistol ammunition

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I own a 3 inch chambered Taurus Judge. I don't use it for anything serious, and it's more of just a fun toy. I took it out and put various buckshot 410 rounds through it last week at the police range. Everything I tried opened up real fast. The paterns at 4 yards with winchester 5 ball 000 buck was over a foot. Shooting it farther than that would cause some of the buck to go off target. Not a great defensive pattern.

Then I tried out the new Federal Personal Defense Pistol 410 ammunition. It is 2.5 inch shells that hold 4 000 buck. They gives you a 280 or so grain payload that the box reports shoots at 1200 FPS. The stuff patterned around 4" at 4 yards. At 7 yards it was about 6 to 8". So I took it back farther and shot it at 15 yards. After shooting several rounds, I noticed that all the buck shot paterned around 12" or so. They all stayed within the human sized target I was shooting. This stuff patterned like it was shot out of a full size shotgun and not out of a 3 inch barreled pistol.

The difference between this stuff and all the other 410 buckshot was amazing. I'm not sure if this makes the Judge a great defensive pistol or not but it does move it in that direction. I'm curious if anyone else has played with this new ammo and seen similar results. I'd also be interested to see some chono results on it. Like I said, the box says 1200 FPS and it also says made for pistols. But that just seems kind of fast out of a 3 inch barrel.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    I've been loading 4 -000 buckshot in a 2 1/2" Winchester hull for a year now with great results; I think the reason Win doesn't offer it is because if they use their own powder you can only fit 3; however if you use 2400 powder you can fit 4 in a 2 1/2" shell; I don't have a crony but they pattern very well in bro in laws judge or my super comanche

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I love my judge and think it makes a great truck gun and would be devistating at close range. Rhe rifling in the barrel does cause it to open up faster but car jackers would not find the judge favorable from the business end

ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I love my judge and think it makes a great truck gun and would be devistating at close range. Rhe rifling in the barrel does cause it to open up faster but car jackers would not find the judge favorable from the business end

Yeah, the rifling does open up most of the stuff faster, but this new stuff that Federal is making overcomes that somehow and causes it to pattern as if it came out of a normal barrel lenght smooth bore shotgun. It will be interesting to see a review of the stuff by a gun magazine. As most people complain that the judge just isn't a practicle defense gun as the paterns open up too fast. This stuff would be effective 15 yards or farther and this would fall into the range of the majority of pistol defense situations.

Top Bottom