School me on AR-15 bipods! *new pics added*

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Last week I went to the range with my scoped AR-15 with 2 stage trigger and had a blast! I would really like to punch some more paper with it again. I shot off of sandbags from a bench at the APSO 100 yard range. I would like to put a bi pod on the front of the gun to shoot off of. I see there are many different makers and styles. I don't have a picatinny hand guard so I guess I'll need a clamp on style. Please clue me in as to which bi pods are of good quality and good value. I know that Harris bi pods are well regarded, but I'd like to get somethign a little cheaper if that is possible.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    whichever one you choose, mount it to a handguard/free float tube, and NOT on the barrel or gas block. Harris makes an AR adapter stud that fits in one of the vent holes of standard handguards, or drill a hole and place a sling stud in a free float tube. Harris is nice, bobro + tango down make fancy "tactical-looking" ones. Remember, Handguard/free float tube= good, barrel/gasblock= bad.

also, there is a shooters-ridge bipod at walmart that is an EXACT copy of the harris, non-swivel bipod for under $40. Check it out next time you are at a Wally world.

Bladebu1

1 more old SeaBee
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Diamondhead Ms
    grip_pod-1.gif

if you had a rail

but I would not suggest a clamp-on bi-pod

maybe
    http://www.nextag.com/Outers-Shooters-Ridge-Standard-63112920/prices-html?nxtg=f60a1c052a-23C98FD92806C0E8

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/purchase/item-added.jsp?_requestid=123083
    you will need the ar 15 adapter to go on the hand gard

cheeper the harris
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=688419

Bladebu1

1 more old SeaBee
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Diamondhead Ms
    whichever one you choose, mount it to a handguard/free float tube, and NOT on the barrel or gas block. Harris makes an AR adapter stud that fits in one of the vent holes of standard handguards, or drill a hole and place a sling stud in a free float tube. Harris is nice, bobro + tango down make fancy "tactical-looking" ones. Remember, Handguard/free float tube= good, barrel/gasblock= bad.

also, there is a shooters-ridge bipod at walmart that is an EXACT copy of the harris, non-swivel bipod for under $40. Check it out next time you are at a Wally world.

and what he said

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace

There is a big difference. Harris is a much better unit. I have both of the above mentioned bi-pods and only the Harris is range worthy.

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    After further reading... a Harris bi pod really isnt THAT much more than I wanted to spend. So you are saying that I can get the bi pod to attach to the hand guard with an adapter? What does "swivel" mean? My gun has a loop by the gas block for a sling attachment. Is this the swivel? Also, I will be shooting from a bench, which leg height is best

Which one is best for my build?
    http://www.harrisbipods.com/

DSC01081.jpg

Last edited:

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    There is a big difference. Harris is a much better unit. I have both of the above mentioned bi-pods and only the Harris is range worthy.

Would you elaborate? I have a Harris, and by looking at the shooters ridge in the package at wallyworld, they look identical. Is it just shoddy construction?

After further reading... a Harris bi pod really isnt THAT much more than I wanted to spend. So you are saying that I can get the bi pod to attach to the hand guard with an adapter? What does "swivel" mean? My gun has a loop by the gas block for a sling attachment. Is this the swivel? Also, I will be shooting from a bench, which leg height is best?

Which one is best for me?
    http://www.harrisbipods.com/

Can't answer as to which is best for you, but a 6-9" should be about right. Use some bags or a rest to determine which height you prefer before buying one.

Sling stud. the rounded piece of metal that comes on 99% of huning type rifles is the one you need for a harris to attach. Most of them look like this:
    s7_210419_imageset_01

but there is an adapter that has a threaded, flat backing that a machine threaded stud screws into, allowing you to mount one on an AR handguard.
    HB2R.gif

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    These are from the link in your above post.

New! Picattiny rail attachment for any Harris bipod.

This adapter allows the attachment of a Harris Bipod to any Picatinny rail. Made from aircraft quality aluminum and hardcoated to mil. specs.

Order Code 638 . . .. . Price $29.00

HBRM Harris Bipod 6" to 9"
    with notches

HBRM - Extends 6" to 9" with Leg Notches (Bench Rest)
    Retail Price $81.63. . . . . . . . our discounted price $66.40

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LazrBeam
    Top Bottom