.22lr / AR conversions?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I have thought about it, and I really don't see the point here. I mean, I understand the surface rationale that it is cheaper to shoot .22 than .223, but for the cost of a kit/mags, you can get a .22 rifle that is easily as accurate. I mean, at first I thought about getting one, and then I thought:

Non-jacketed ammo is going to be even harder to clean in a blowback platform weapon

The .22 is probably going to be less accurate in a 5.56 barrel.

I am wearing out a barrel faster that probably costs as much as a decent used .22 rifle.

I am not getting concrete marksmanship/tactical training, as the operation/recoil/POA/POI are all different.

Maybe I am missing something. Why get a conversion kit, instead of a decent dedicated .22 rifle?

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I think the main reason is familiarity. If you're really familiar with your AR rifle, why not be able to shoot 22 out of it and use it instinctively and still shoot much cheaper.

Of course, why not have both?

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I wanted to get a conversion kit or dedicated upper, but instead I purchased a 10/22 on sale at Academy. Thousands of innocent Q3131 rounds have been fired through my AR-15s and I still shoot a couple hundred every now and again. The reason I went with the 10/22 is because it is just cheaper to shoot, and I didn't have to wait on a conversion kit or sell a kidney to pay for a dedicated 22LR upper.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    nice dedicated upper at spikestactical.com around 550.. being that zack3g has the one that is supressed, and shooting it alot.. if i go that route.. I will sell mine bolt carrier, that i am using now..

I can say for SA lakeside springs help alot with the snappyness.. you have to shoot some decent ammo.. cci hv mini mags, although the winchester super x and wildcats have been working fine.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    I've been looking at that. But he uses a Ciener unit, if I'm reading the copy correctly.:puke:

yes but it it modified.... I know you get alot of range time as it is.. but to try it out you should head out with the gang to sherbune (sp?) the next sunday we meet..

JAC is an asshat. But, no one is making a product that I am aware of that is good enough for the application, in a cost effective manner.

Luckly I fell into my kit from Zack, and Kevin from BDM was able to machine a new rod for it. I order the lakeside spring kit, and it is on POA with my 5.56

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    5000 if you go with Wolf. :o

I used to shoot the heck out of Wolf, but I am one of those guys that clean every part on my weapon til it looks new after every range trip, and Wolf (I guess through the steel not expanding to fill the gap) gets the chamber alot dirtier. I have a chamber brush and all, but I have to use less effort to clean it when shooting brass. Also, I hope to start reloading soon, and I like that I have a 5 gallon bucket full of .45/.223 brass plus some built up. Brass seems worth the few cents difference in that light.

Zack3g

Full Auto is fun!
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2007
    Lafayette
    most of you are familiar with my 22 setup so i'll just hit the high points. it's a ciener based system, dedicated upper with a modified chamber adapter. the first kit that i ran in it didn't like running on full auto at all, but some kits are just picky that way. the kit i've got in it now runs like a champ. a few ammo related malfunctions from time to time is about all you'll see go wrong with it.

it's pretty much all i shoot now, and despite what some people say...the basics are the basics. it doesn't matter if you're shooting .22 or .50bmg. the same skills are required to put rounds on target accurately.

you can practice and train with a 22 upper for short range stuff just as effectively as a .223 upper.

let's be realistic, any engagement in a home defense / looter shooter type scenario is going to be well under 100yd. the 22 is perfectly capable of developing your skills up close and cheaper too.

i still get out the 223 upper and run a few mags through it from time to time just to make sure the damn thing works.

you guys should seriously make a trip out to sherburne with us. probably next sunday will be the goal.

you'll have a lot of fun with my little .22..

pic:
    8786e807.jpg

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    It amazes me that the .22 can generate enough power to cycle the action/TCG that fast. Obviously it can, but I am still suprised.

Oh, and I agree that a dedicated upper knocks out most of my argument, except for slight recoil/POI/POA differences, which I am willing to concede are similar enough for 80% of practice purposes.

IonicDOG

Hacker
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Well I got my conversion kit in today, and since i'm impatient, I wanted to shoot it, even though its pouring down rain here. I managed to get a break in weather and shot about 2 1/2 30rd mags through it, 1 1/2 mags of Remington HV 40 grn solid point plated ammo. Another mag of Federal Champion HV 40 grn solid point. Had a few FTE, FTF, and jams, but the rifle seems to like the Remington better than the Federal. Anyone have any tips on fine tuning the kit? Thanks, Josh

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    If you remember mine, I got it from Zack... Polish with a fine emery cloth or dremel tool (rubber attachment with fine grit)(thats what zack said he used) all the contact points in which metal touches metal..

thread over at arfcom say to lube it up with clp and jack the action 500+ to wear of some of the park..

It likes to run wet

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    LC you should stay the night in BR and make it out to Sherburne... Its on 190 so it will be on the route home.. pm zack or I

Top Bottom