.22lr self defense ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I picked up a few boxes of Winchester silvertips in .22lr. Although I don’t plan on carrying a 22 for self defense I will admit I was shocked to see some gel test results on YouTube. It’s a 37gr segmenting hollow point moving 1060fps out of a 3.5* barrel. I figured with a light weight segmenting bullet penetration would be lacking but from the testing ive seen it hits 11*-13*. Pretty interesting stuff and just goes to show how far technology has come. Has anyone had a chance to shoot any of these yet?

Attachments

• F3B6FD40-D0B7-4CD5-8727-6EBDBA35C2CC.jpg
      F3B6FD40-D0B7-4CD5-8727-6EBDBA35C2CC.jpg
      233.4 KB · Views: 198
    • 54620AD6-B113-43FB-815E-B527D2D5F428.jpg
      54620AD6-B113-43FB-815E-B527D2D5F428.jpg
      215.9 KB · Views: 205

foz1359

Time Traveler
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Jefferson Parish
    I picked up a few boxes of Winchester silvertips in .22lr. Although I don’t plan on carrying a 22 for self defense I will admit I was shocked to see some gel test results on YouTube. It’s a 37gr segmenting hollow point moving 1060fps out of a 3.5* barrel. I figured with a light weight segmenting bullet penetration would be lacking but from the testing ive seen it hits 11*-13*. Pretty interesting stuff and just goes to show how far technology has come. Has anyone had a chance to shoot any of these yet?

Where'd you get them? If someplace on the WB please let me know I'd like a box or two.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Where'd you get them? If someplace on the WB please let me know I'd like a box or two.
    I picked them up from Academy in Gretna for $9.99 a box of 50. Terrible price but it really is a cool round and something different. I’m still amazed that every test I see on it, it penetrates at least 10*. Winchester seems to have put a lot of work into this one.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Always nice to see new loads hit the market. I’d like to see a comparison between those and CCI Stingers. Anytime I ever considered .22LR and self defense in the same thought, it was either Stingers or QuickShock or the Aguila Hyper velocity rounds. I’ve seen what those do to small game and varmints a lot over the years. Yes, mostly from rifles, but many from a Ruger Standard. About 40 years worth. I do believe in segmenting rounds from .22 and would be interested to see how they stack up against the CCI rounds I use for squirrels.
    Thanks for posting bro.

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Always nice to see new loads hit the market. I’d like to see a comparison between those and CCI Stingers. Anytime I ever considered .22LR and self defense in the same thought, it was either Stingers or PowerShock or the Aguila Hyper velocity rounds. I’ve seen what those do to small game and varmints a lot over the years. Yes, mostly from rifles, but many from a Ruger Standard. About 40 years worth. I do believe in segmenting rounds from .22 and would be interested to see how they stack up against the CCI rounds I use for squirrels.
    Thanks for posting bro.
    Well if your up to it I’ll gladly mail you some silvertips and stingers to conduct some testing on your range. (Although if I know you like I think I do you already have about 10k stingers on hand lol) The silvertips are specifically made for handguns. From the handful of test I’ve seen the performance isn’t as good from rifles length barrels.

Ive been keeping my eyes pealed for the new federal punch ammo. As far as I know Winchester and Federal are the only two manufacturers that offer .22lr loads marketed for self defense from two legged predators.

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    The Stinger is lighter and about 500 fps faster .
    Out of a rifle barrel it’s about the same but from what I’ve seen out of a pistol the silvertips are about 100fps faster. The 1640fps advertised velocity on the stingers package is from a rifle length barrel. The 1060fps advertised for the silvertips is out of a 3.5 inch barrel. CCI stingers out of the same length barrel do not break 1000fps. Also out of up to a 22* barrel I’ve never seen the stingers come any close to the advertised 1640fps that’s claimed. Out of a 22 inch barrel about 1460fps was the average I got.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Out of a rifle barrel it’s about the same but from what I’ve seen out of a pistol the silvertips are about 100fps faster. The 1640fps advertised velocity on the stingers package is from a rifle length barrel. The 1060fps advertised for the silvertips is out of a 3.5 inch barrel. CCI stingers out of the same length barrel do not break 1000fps. Also out of up to a 22* barrel I’ve never seen the stingers come any close to the advertised 1640fps that’s claimed. Out of a 22 inch barrel about 1460fps was the average I got.

The CCI Mini Mags are listed at 1,260 FPS. Not sure what barrel length is used to test them.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Back when I use to travel a lot and the wife wouldn't shoot anything bigger than 22, I'd load a 617 10 shot with stingers and velocitors alternating in the cylinder. Not the best, but I wouldn't want to face that.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    The CCI Mini Mags are listed at 1,260 FPS. Not sure what barrel length is used to test them.
    Who mentioned anything about mini mags? The advertised 1260 fps is from a rifle length barrel. All .22lr I know of advertised velocity is always from a rifle length barrel. The silvertips are the first I’ve seen specifically marketed towards handguns and self defense.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Who mentioned anything about mini mags? The advertised 1260 fps is from a rifle length barrel. All .22lr I know of advertised velocity is always from a rifle length barrel. The silvertips are the first I’ve seen specifically marketed towards handguns and self defense.

Are your reading skills lacking?

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    More than just reading skills missing here; It may take a week for the perp to die after being shot with a 22
    It very well could just like any other caliber or it could drop them on spot with one well placed or lucky placed shot. I’m not advocating anyone switching to .22lr because of this ammo at all. I don’t think anything .22 is ideal but I’m not naive to think .22lr isn’t more than capable of stopping a human threat or animal for that matter.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Well if your up to it I’ll gladly mail you some silvertips and stingers to conduct some testing on your range. (Although if I know you like I think I do you already have about 10k stingers on hand lol) The silvertips are specifically made for handguns. From the handful of test I’ve seen the performance isn’t as good from rifles length barrels.

Ive been keeping my eyes pealed for the new federal punch ammo. As far as I know Winchester and Federal are the only two manufacturers that offer .22lr loads marketed for self defense from two legged predators.
    Uh, yeah, I’m prolly good on stingers. Nearly 4 cans full as I opened one this spring. I’m not entirely sure about the velocities from all barrel lengths, but with a suppressed Walther P-22 there’s an audible crack that tells me it’s busting 1100 fps. By comparison, the same pistol shoots mini mags at 930-960fps all day. I remember because I had to literally show someone that they were good to go for a suppressed pistol even though the advertised velocity was not in the subsonic range. I’ve shot plenty of stingers through my chrony from a few rifles and handguns and I wanna say from a Ruger standard they were still supersonic by plenty.
    I think the real test for those silver tips would be firing from a rifle. I’m always looking for a new edge when hunting or varmint shooting. Stingers have long been my favorite for ultra long shots on rabbits in the food plot. I only have one old Marlin rifle that holds a group tight enough with them at that range. I also dumped a coyote one morning with a single shot at close range that trotted through while I was squirrel hunting. That was from my old Ruger Standard.

Attachments

• 639C1FC5-9673-4447-ACC4-2F775593379D.jpg
      639C1FC5-9673-4447-ACC4-2F775593379D.jpg
      134.7 KB · Views: 135
    Last edited:

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Hinckley used Stingers on Reagan. I think everyone hit that day survived, maybe 4 total. Reagan and Brady survived. I can't believe Hinckley was released.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Hinckley used Stingers on Reagan. I think everyone hit that day survived, maybe 4 total. Reagan and Brady survived. I can't believe Hinckley was released.
    Stingers? Hmmm, first I heard of that
    Where did you come by that info? I remember when that happened and the media talked about Devastator rounds and exploding bullets for weeks. I read the details of the shooting over and over for years in different articles from propaganda rags to gun mags and never a mention of stingers, only Devastators. Hinckley reportedly bought the ammo in Texas where he also purchased a few firearms, one being the little RG-14 .22 revolver that he did the shooting with. You guys should all be familiar with the little dinky German revolver with less than 2 inches of barrel, right? Anyway, one hit Brady and crippled him, which gave us the Brady Bill, a cop, a press secretary and the door frame of the limo, which consequently Was a bank shot into Reagan’s armpit and pierced the lung.
    Anyway, regardless of the ammo, I don’t think Hinckley could have made a worse choice if he intended to kill anyone.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...bullets/e1bef826-a6f5-47e9-bc32-ff3914e1747b/

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Uh, yeah, I’m prolly good on stingers. Nearly 4 cans full as I opened one this spring. I’m not entirely sure about the velocities from all barrel lengths, but with a suppressed Walther P-22 there’s an audible crack that tells me it’s busting 1100 fps. By comparison, the same pistol shoots mini mags at 930-960fps all day. I remember because I had to literally show someone that they were good to go for a suppressed pistol even though the advertised velocity was not in the subsonic range. I’ve shot plenty of stingers through my chrony from a few rifles and handguns and I wanna say from a Ruger standard they were still supersonic by plenty.
    I think the real test for those silver tips would be firing from a rifle. I’m always looking for a new edge when hunting or varmint shooting. Stingers have long been my favorite for ultra long shots on rabbits in the food plot. I only have one old Marlin rifle that holds a group tight enough with them at that range. I also dumped a coyote one morning with a single shot at close range that trotted through while I was squirrel hunting. That was from my old Ruger Standard.
    I haven’t gotten a chance to shoot any yet and won’t until Saturday but the testing I’ve seen out of a rifle it doesn’t perform as well for it’s intended purpose. The higher velocity equates to less penetration. On small game I think it would still be really effective.
    I envy you man. You have the perfect set up and the luxury to go outside and shoot whenever. My only option is to go to an indoor range and shoot paper targets. I used to have a spot in Franklin where we would go and shoot wet newspaper, meat targets, ballistic gelatin, or whatever we could get our hands on. Unfortunately I no longer have access to that land since it was sold.

Top Bottom