.22lr self defense ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    This is a recreation of the Triton Quik-Shok. Was mfg in numerous handgun calibers, super effective!!! I have some 40cal. 135gr at 1325fps !!
    Idk anything about it being quik shok but if I had to guess I’d say it’s this round re made/ marketed. It looks like the Winchester varmint HE 37gr segmenting hollow point

Attachments

• E89867FF-51EB-4CA2-94F8-6DA991D59EA3.jpeg
      E89867FF-51EB-4CA2-94F8-6DA991D59EA3.jpeg
      9.3 KB · Views: 160

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Idk anything about it being quik shok but if I had to guess I’d say it’s this round re made/ marketed. It looks like the Winchester varmint HE 37gr segmenting hollow point

I have a bunch of CCI segmented rounds too. The subs are pretty good squirrel getters but regular CCI subsonic HP are more accurate in my primary squirrel rifle.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I don't know where or when I heard Stingers were used by Hinckley but I guess I didn't get that from the Washington Post. Thanks

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I don't know where or when I heard Stingers were used by Hinckley but I guess I didn't get that from the Washington Post. Thanks
    Lol, yeah, prolly the worst rag to quote, but it was widely reported back in the day and I’m pretty sure stingers never came up. I did enjoy the old exploding bullet story though, and if anyone ever wondered where that mythological bullet got its start….

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    I have used CCI Stingers while hunting small game and I stopped because they did so much damage to the game. It would blow big holes in squirrels. I switched to just a regular .22 LR ammo. One year after Halloween, my brother and I took the pumpkins from our houses and went out in a field to shoot them for target practice. I was shooting one with a 9mm pistol and it would just punch holes in it. My brother loaded .22 Stingers in his rifle and when he shot the pumpkin, it nearly exploded. We were surprised that the Stingers would blast large holes in the pumpkin. I guess the hollow point bullets were expanding. I guarantee that if I were ever shot by a .22 Stinger bullet, it would sure stop me in my tracks. It may not kill me immediately, but it would surely cause a lot of damage and hurt like all hell.

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    I had come across an active shooter video a couple months ago about the importance of cover.

State police traffic stop, with vest on. The bag guy pulls a gun and opens fire, a 22LR pocket pistol. The bad guy is hit 6/8 times, on the ground bleeding out, but didn’t he ultimately lived.

The officer doesn’t take cover, while on the radio, pistol in hand, the bad guy gets another round off, it strikes the officer just outside of the vest protection. 1 round of 22LR and the officer dies, the bad guy lives with 6/8 rounds.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    There's a good article in the recent issue of Concealed Carry magazine this month . They test various calibers of ammo that might be used in home defense , including several shotgun rounds .
    Direct comparison on the same medium . .22LR performs surprisingly well . Obviously not the best choice but better than expected .

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    There's a good article in the recent issue of Concealed Carry magazine this month . They test various calibers of ammo that might be used in home defense , including several shotgun rounds .
    Direct comparison on the same medium . .22LR performs surprisingly well . Obviously not the best choice but better than expected .

for some reason people have always underestimated what .22lr is capable of even with the testing and data we have these days. Shot placement is everything. When people make ignorant comments about.22lr not being sufficient enough to kill a human I ask them to show me a spot on the human body where .22lr wouldn’t kill you but 9mm or another pistol caliber would.

this is just my personal opinion but the main reason I wouldn’t carry it or go to it first in a home defense situation is because of how finicky rimfire cartridges can be. Although we have rounds like CCI Mini mags that are damn near 100% most of the time they just aren’t as reliable as a center fire cartridge. I shot 200 rounds of CCI Mini mags today out of my 10/22 without a hiccup using bx25 oem magazines. With that said I’ve still experienced the occasional dud with .22 ammo.

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Way back in one of my former lives , I was a BRCP Reserve Officer . One night we went to a shooting on Highland Rd. A guy had been shot with a .22 , dead center in his chest . He was flat on his back and going into shock . EMS was packaging him up and getting him ready to ship . He was out of it . I don't know if he lived or not . Until that night I never had much respect for .22lr .

James Thibodeau

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Breaux Bridge
    I had come across an active shooter video a couple months ago about the importance of cover.

State police traffic stop, with vest on. The bag guy pulls a gun and opens fire, a 22LR pocket pistol. The bad guy is hit 6/8 times, on the ground bleeding out, but didn’t he ultimately lived.

The officer doesn’t take cover, while on the radio, pistol in hand, the bad guy gets another round off, it strikes the officer just outside of the vest protection. 1 round of 22LR and the officer dies, the bad guy lives with 6/8 rounds.

1993 I believe South Carolina Trooper. Dirtbag shot him once with NAA 22 over the vest into armpit, was shot 5 times 158gr 357 mag. Was hard to watch. SC went to 40 cal after that.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    1993 I believe South Carolina Trooper. Dirtbag shot him once with NAA 22 over the vest into armpit, was shot 5 times 158gr 357 mag. Was hard to watch. SC went to 40 cal after that.

They have been issuing 9mm pistols for more than 6 years.

Blackwell99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2022
    New Orleans East
    I have used CCI Stingers while hunting small game and I stopped because they did so much damage to the game. It would blow big holes in squirrels. I switched to just a regular .22 LR ammo. One year after Halloween, my brother and I took the pumpkins from our houses and went out in a field to shoot them for target practice. I was shooting one with a 9mm pistol and it would just punch holes in it. My brother loaded .22 Stingers in his rifle and when he shot the pumpkin, it nearly exploded. We were surprised that the Stingers would blast large holes in the pumpkin. I guess the hollow point bullets were expanding. I guarantee that if I were ever shot by a .22 Stinger bullet, it would sure stop me in my tracks. It may not kill me immediately, but it would surely cause a lot of damage and hurt like all hell.
    Stingers are great. I used to use them all the time for varmints. Not small game tho.

Jasonsch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2022
    Bossier city
    Always nice to see new loads hit the market. I’d like to see a comparison between those and CCI Stingers. Anytime I ever considered .22LR and self defense in the same thought, it was either Stingers or QuickShock or the Aguila Hyper velocity rounds. I’ve seen what those do to small game and varmints a lot over the years. Yes, mostly from rifles, but many from a Ruger Standard. About 40 years worth. I do believe in segmenting rounds from .22 and would be interested to see how they stack up against the CCI rounds I use for squirrels.
    Thanks for posting bro.
    Man...22 short was sold as self defense round for over 100 years. 1857-1950s RIP little one.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I still think I’d just go with CCI mini mags if I was forced to carry .22lr for s of defense. Stingers would maybe be another option but they never penetrate deep enough on ballistic gel test.

bush_hog

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jul 8, 2007
    Covington
    Now I've got some new ammo to track down. Looks cool. Thanks for posting

Top Bottom