22lr vs 22 short ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Uh, 22LR=heavier faster bullet or wider variety of loads from 60gr subsonics to 32gr hyper velocity. Then there’s generally better accuracy, easier to find ammo, cheaper ammo, way more guns that fire it and I could likely find more pros if I gave it any thought. I can’t think of any pros to .22 short ammo over 22LR.
    In short (pun) if I could have only one, it would be 22LR, hands down.
    EDIT: maybe if you prefer the smallest of pistols and found a .22 short only auto from years gone by, one could consider that a win for .22 short.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    LR are pretty much the standard. Much easier to find, much better for hunting, higher velocity & longer range but louder.
    Shorts are not common place. They don’t feed as well in bolt or semiauto guns. Only advantages I can see are it’s usually quieter than LR & if your rifle is tube feed, it will hold more Shorts. The cost runs about the same.

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    I like the 22 short for plinking, target shooting, pest control, small game taking in an urban area. Trust me, it has many qualities and applications, very useful little cartridge. One would be wise to have some on hand. It has the qualities of a good pellet rifle.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    22 short’s main and only benefit I see over 22lr is how quiet it is. I’ve shot some out of a 24” bolt gun and it’s so quiet the only thing you hear is it hitting the target. No can, no ears, and capable of taking small game. More powerful than a .177 or .22 caliber air rifle and also in my experience often times more quiet. It’s not of much use to me these days but if I had discovered this as a young teen backyard hunting i would have loved it lol.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I figured this out by accident as a kid, when I asked my dad to buy some 22 rounds to shoot in the back of the neighborhood. He gave me some CB caps, 22 HV shorts, and 22 HV LR rounds. We learned pretty fast that the CB caps were awesome but not too powerful. Great for plinking and shooting snakes and such. The HV LR made way too much noise, even in the back of the neighborhood. The 22 HV shorts were the Goldilocks round. Would easily take down a squirrel or rabbit without massive noise.

Fast forward to today. CCI SV LR, 1070 FPS. CCI HV Short, 1080 FPS.

Just buy 22 LR. There are so many different types of rounds today that are even quieter than the shorts of old days. CCI LR Quiet is a 40g bullet at 710 FPS in a rifle. Without a suppressor, that is similar to a spring action 22 airgun. With a suppressor, you only hear the bullet hit the target.

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    I figured this out by accident as a kid, when I asked my dad to buy some 22 rounds to shoot in the back of the neighborhood. He gave me some CB caps, 22 HV shorts, and 22 HV LR rounds. We learned pretty fast that the CB caps were awesome but not too powerful. Great for plinking and shooting snakes and such. The HV LR made way too much noise, even in the back of the neighborhood. The 22 HV shorts were the Goldilocks round. Would easily take down a squirrel or rabbit without massive noise.

Fast forward to today. CCI SV LR, 1070 FPS. CCI HV Short, 1080 FPS.

Just buy 22 LR. There are so many different types of rounds today that are even quieter than the shorts of old days. CCI LR Quiet is a 40g bullet at 710 FPS in a rifle. Without a suppressor, that is similar to a spring action 22 airgun. With a suppressor, you only hear the bullet hit the target.
    Agreed... 22lr, short, 22long, there are some really interesting loads. I think I bought some 22lr quiet ammo and ran it through my silenced 22, it wouldn't cycle the action, but it is super quiet. I love it, just have to manually cycle the action. I'll seek out and buy a few boxes when I see the more novel 22 ammo. I think it's a great item to own and I'm happy the manufacturers are making the rounds that are useful for small game, pest control and plinking.

I've bought the Aquilla Colibri 22lr, I believe that is what it is called, and use that in a single action 22 pistol, and it is really quiet, also there is 22-ammo produced that only uses the primer as the propellant, and that is pretty interesting stuff also.

Last edited:

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    also there is 22-ammo produced that only uses the primer as the propellant, and that is pretty interesting stuff also.
    I think those are CB caps. They are quite & tiny. I’m not sure any gun will cycle them because of how short they are. So they’re pretty much single shot ammo. With Low power ammo like that you have to make sure the round left the barrel especially in rifles. You don’t want to shoot a cci stinger after a squib round gets stuck in your barrel.
    AEBB0339-912E-46BF-B10D-AE7F12C4B07F.jpeg

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Aguila Colibri is one (the?) ammo with no power and only primer propulsion. Aguila Super Colibri is on par or close with CCI or Federal CB cap ammo.

Do not use Colibri ammo in a rifle. It is likely to not get through the barrel. I have used Super Colibri through a 22" single shot bolt action with no issues at all. Great for backyard pest problems, and I believe ever so slightly quieter than CB long rounds. I don't buy CB short anymore, so no recent experience.

I shot a ton of CB caps in the ditch at the back of our neighborhood as a kid. Some of my best memories, walking the ditch and plinking at random crap with friends.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wrobi2016
    Top Bottom