7.62mm OFV 97 MK 80 Headstamp

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Yep, that's indian ammo. I had some from the early 80's, and it shot just fine in an M1A, but there is a lot of information out there that the newer stuff from the mid 90's up is not worth shooting.

Iirc the change in quality has something to do with a change in the plant in which it is manufactured.

Texasflyboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Anybody out there know the specs on OFV 97 Mk 80 7.62x51mm ?

India. 90's date.

As a rule (ironclad, not a general one) we do not shoot, or allow it on our range any OFV or similar ammo with a date later that 1985.

Prior to 1980, OFV Ordnance Factory Varangaon was provided onsite technical expertise and management by Royal Ordnance Factory, Radway Green, Cheshire, UK (under contract). In 1980, or shortly thereafter, the contract expired, RG personnel departed and further production was entirely by the Government of India, under Indian supervision and management. The change in quality was dramatic, resulting in much lower standards of manufacture for 7.62x51 and other calibers.

OFV dated 1979 and earlier met RG's "MILSPEC" for 7.62x51 and should be safe to fire in any modern centerfire rifle chambered for 7.62x51 ammunition.

Last edited:

RJFontenot

Fun To Know
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Church Point, LA
    Thanks for that info. I have fired about 100 rds. so far in my CETME and it has functioned flawlessly. I do appreciate your time in getting this to me and others who maybe didn't know.

Top Bottom