Need Home Exercise Program

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I have been dieting for the last 5 months and have lost over 40 lbs.
    Now I need to step it up and start exercising.

I need something for a beginner, that doesn't take a lot of time, and I can do with my wife who already exercises some. (Without her showing me up too much)

After reading a little on here I was thinking "10 Minute Workout" then in 30-60 days trying P90X to finish it up.

Am I on the right track?
    Any other programs?
    Where is the best place to get the DVDs? Ebay?

Thanks for any advice.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    +1to the P90X. Worked great for a few people I know. But you have to be dedicated and follow the meal plan! You won't be hungry but it's not hamburgers and fried chicken

OveractiveBrain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    P90X is a great program. It will require a 200 dollar investment in weights (minimum, up to 700 with adjustables like bowflex). Some of the exercises are a bit cornball, some are mildly dangerous.

Overall, it is a GREAT program for people who know nothing about exercise and want to get started or who are a former athlete that has let themself go. It requires 60 to 90 minutes a day. In order to do it right, you must be working out 6 days a week. The emphasis is on endurance and weight loss, not max gains.

Overall: INVEST THE MONEY, DO THE P90X WORKOUT!

OveractiveBrain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    P.S. a 10 minute workout is shabby at best. If you want mild work, you should walk for an hour. walking for an hour is better than "jogging" for 10 minutes, no matter what the treadmill's calorie counter says.

Skipping Rope, Street Time (Running/Walking), or light aerobics is a good way to start.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    P.S. a 10 minute workout is shabby at best. If you want mild work, you should walk for an hour. walking for an hour is better than "jogging" for 10 minutes, no matter what the treadmill's calorie counter says.

Skipping Rope, Street Time (Running/Walking), or light aerobics is a good way to start.

But if that 10 minutes of jogging is used as a stepping stone to reach longer jobs, then it will be more beneficial in the long term than a light walk for an hour. Remember, what might help you burn more calories now is not always the best for the long haul. If you can only jog for 10 minutes but continue to do so a few times a week and build yourself up, you are fine.

When I first joined the NG I was running an 8 minute mile at best for no longer than a mile. Over time those 10 minute runs turned into 2 mile runs, then 3...eventually I was running about 25 miles a week.

bigmg985

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mandeville, LA

He speaks the truth. Moderate heart rate sustained for 40-60 minutes is prime for fat burn! That is if thats what your looking for.

If your looking for some things you can do at home.

-body squats x15
    -push ups x15
    -Sit ups (curl ups) x 15
    -up downs x10

Don't rest in between each excerise, only rest once you have finished all four. For the first week I would say rest until you catch your breath and feel ready to complete the next "set" or 4 excercises. Once you have become accustom to how this will affect your body begin to time your rests between each set. Start with a rest that will challenge you and then decrease that rest period a little bit each week.

Once you have finished your excercises a walk at a moderatly swift pace for about 30-40 minutes would speed your progress. This step is actually most important.

3-4 days a week.

And always go till failure if you can't do 10, 15 or whatever.

Hope this helps and good luck!

melisa

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 27, 2006
    Gonzales
    Walking, jogging, unless you want to get into hardcore then do P90x. Good program, it is compared to a Monday night class at our gym.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/cardioworkouts/l/aa022601a.htm

Random website, but maybe you won't be so confused. Or maybe you just didn't agree with me. I don't believe in aboslutes I was just giving my best advice.

More :confused:

The link you posted says:

The body does burn a higher percentage of calories from fat in the 'fat burning zone' or at lower intensities. But, at higher intensities, you burn a greater number of overall calories which is what you should be concerned about when trying to lose weight.

and

In this example, the woman burns more total calories and more fat calories at a higher intensity.

I'm not one to disprove anyone but you'd be hard pressed to convince me that a 40 minute moderate jog would be more benefitial than 20 minutes of HIIT springs/cycling, etc.

Personally, I found that a good diet and about 10 minutes of intervals followed by 45-50 minutes of weight training can do wonders.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    More :confused:

The link you posted says:

and

I'm not one to disprove anyone but you'd be hard pressed to convince me that a 40 minute moderate jog would be more benefitial than 20 minutes of HIIT springs/cycling, etc.

Personally, I found that a good diet and about 10 minutes of intervals followed by 45-50 minutes of weight training can do wonders.

Speaking of gyms...next Tuesday morning we're going bright and early when I get off of work.

bigmg985

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mandeville, LA
    Burning calories isn't really what you need to be monitoring Spanky. While excerising at a "fat-burning zone" or low to moderate heart rate your body burns a higher percentage of fat for energy.

And by no means am I trying to prove or disprove anything. Also, what works well for one person may not work as well for another. I typically run intervals on a 2:1 ratio at least three days a week and feel it is great for changing your body composition when you have the right diet and weight training paired with it. However, I am not going to recommend this man to sprint/walk intervals considering I know nothing about his physical condition.

Lastly, that link I posted was a quick reference I found and honestly should have read more of it because I soley disagree with some of its material. :eek3:

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Thanks for all the advice.

I was posting in a hurry yesterday. When I said "10 Minute Workout", I meant to put "Tony Horton's 10-Minute Trainer"

CrossFit - I really think I need something more structured (not sure if that the right word for what I mean) like DVD based to keep me going.

P90X - I was thinking that would be too advanced to start with? But I found the fit test for the P90X on their web site and will try it to see how I do.

I need to get myself in the routine of exercise so I don't want to start with something that is so hard or complicated that I get discouraged early on.

Another factor is space. I've been cleaning out some space in a portable building to make room for exercising, but would love to start with something I could do in my living room.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    On the P90X fit test sheet they recommend Power 90 or Slim in 6 if you can't complete the minimum result in the fit test.

Anybody familiar with these?

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Matthew Nodier
    Top Bottom