Barrett Long Range Basics

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Barrett Long Range Basics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got done with Barrett Long Range Basics in Raton New Mexico.

Instructors:
    Jay: Former Marine Sniper/SOTG instructor, with an extensive background as a Contractor.

Tim:
    Recieved a Rifle team Collage Scholorship, worked with the US Olympic team, various Police sniper units...

Don: Former USMC match armorer, worked for Barrett for 12-13 years...

The first day was the Armorer portion, taght by Don. Don's a great guy and what he doesn't know about the barrett... doesn't need to be known.

2nd Day: After a Brief lecture it was off to the range,
    300, 500, 600 Yardlines.
    I kept it within 3 MOA (It's a 2 MOA rifle) excepting one flyer at the 500 and one at the 600.

-The wind here is STRONG and comes in gusts, that is why they have the .50 nationals here.

3rd Day:
    800, 900 and 1,000.
    Kept it within the 3MOA at the 800,
    at the 900 we were dealing with some serious (Over 20MPH) winds and snow...
    My first shot was off the paper. (Despite calculating and adjusting for wind before shooting) got in the 8 ring by the 4th shot, 5-6 were in the 9 ring, and the last 4 were in the ten ring with one in the X (~10 inches at 900 Yards!)
    1,000 meters we know it was over 25 MPH because that's when the Castural (SP?) windmeter blew OFF the table.
    Gusts over 40 MPH.
    I was ~ 3.5 MOA (IT'S HARD to read wind... and here atleast you have several different winds...)

THen I shot another 10 rounds at 1,000 to practice bucking the wind... I shoulda stoped, but it was REALLY bad by then.

I learned:
    Putting a little force into your 'trigger hand' helps you get back on target... that one that was off the paper... they didn't see it, but I got back on target (With a .50BMG mind you) fast enough to see the strike...
    Reading wind... that will be an ongoing process...

And that you don't want to use the Max power of the scope. I'm using a 4.5x14.50, and at 800 I kept it on 8 and at 1,000 I only had it on 11.
    (Works better, less movement.)

I have pix, but they will haveto wait.

Tomorrow I start the 5 day Long Range Tactical out past 2,000 yards.

FYI: You can rent guns for the class for $100

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I have been pushing to have one of these at Long Range Alley.

It may not happen soon, but I will keep pushing.

I want a Barrett semi-auto .50, and I will go to one of these when I get one, even if I have to travel to it.

You lucky sucker. :D

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    If it's a 1,000 yard range... and you get enough guys together... I might be able to get the class there...

(The instructors and Dude at Barrett who oversees this training are buddies of mine)

I'll ask them when I get offline...

Let me know.

... You could spend $100 (Less than the cost of mailing it) and 'test drive' one in the class...
    http://www.barrettrifles.com/training.aspx

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Ok, Drew's standing in the door... they don't make $ on the classes (Cost of the ammo alone is 1/2 the class...)

So to do it somewhere else they'd haveto charge alot more and they don't want to do that.

(The class is basically 'customer service' for people who Buy Barretts...)

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I read in Barrett magazine that they would do on site classes with enough people.

The hold up at the range is not lack of people, it is the fact that we have members/directors that teach long range classes already. Our range keeps costs way down, (like- special orders firearms for a tiny fraction above cost, membership is only like $15/month, etc.), so I think they want to run their own courses, so that what little money they would make is available to put directly back into the range.

I will stress more that this is a BARRETT class, which is something they cannot offer.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Just got back after the 5 day Tactical Long Range class... I can now hit a 40 inch by 40 inch target over a mile away, and have done range estimation (Now if I can remember the formulas....)

More later....

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    and when you were a kid.....

BUT WHY DO I NEED TO KNOW ALGEBRA!

If only teachers had used mil dots and ballistics as examples I probably would have done my homework back in the day! Just the little bit I've researched about long range shooting made me regret my "D for Diploma" days in Math at LSU.

LongRange

Weatherby...no Substitute
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    Must be shooting the white targets on the hill, theres one at 2300 meters up there, i enjoy shooting at the Whit. I love that place!

I was reviewing the Ballistics on the 50BMG, not very impressive at long range, zeroed at 1000yrds it drops 404"/34 Feet at 1500 yrds,lol and at 500yrds youll be shooting 94" high!! I think id have to go with the 408 Chey thats traveling 1000fps at 2300 meters, if i was looking to not have to Lob the bullets in at that range, even the 30-378 zeroed at 1000 only drops 61" at 1500yrds Sure the 50BMG is a 700gr round , but it dies at 800 meters and falls like a rock. Guess thats why they have incidiarys and expanding rounds, cuz at 1500 yrds its hitting about as hard as a 30-30.

The class looked fun when i watched them at the Whit, impressive guns, and certainly a crowd pleaser. I shot one once, recoil wasnt too bad, and it sure feels like you are behind alot of power! Definately cheaper hobby than my 30-378 thats for sure!!

Top Kek

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    nola
    sounds like a nice weekend.

i've been wanting to take a long range class with my PSS for quite some time.

Top Bottom