The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Please reply by conversation.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    ill hold it for you 1.00 bill of sale

I don't think that stuff works anymore. Wifes family member works/worked for an attorney and while we were talking a while back, she was mentioning just this sort of situation where people sell things for cheap, trying to protect their assets in the midst of a divorce, and the judge can rule on "market value" instead of actual sale price. Anyone know more about this?

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    I know someone who "borrowed" some money from a friend of his. And put up his car, boat, and bike. So when they go to court he'll have to default on he loan and his buddy gets the car n stuff instead of splitting assets with wife. His should work if there's a contract and all

jphilp87

Glock
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Ascension
    I don't think that stuff works anymore. Wifes family member works/worked for an attorney and while we were talking a while back, she was mentioning just this sort of situation where people sell things for cheap, trying to protect their assets in the midst of a divorce, and the judge can rule on "market value" instead of actual sale price. Anyone know more about this?

THIS!

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA

This is true, however I don't think the judge would be splitting hairs by arguing over a $1000 rifle that was sold for $150. Now if he sold real estate, cars, boats, to family members, then he may have a problem.

I went through the same thing with my ex-wife about 4 years ago. She wanted my Mustang just out of spite. I consulted my attorney, sold the car for $5,000 to a friend, and split the sale with my ex. $5,000 was below book value of the car, however that sale price was perceived to be fair. I then paid my friend back $5,00 and took my car back. $2,500 was a small price to pay to keep her out of my car.

If your wife is smart, she will have the judge freeze all assets until the finalization of the divorce.

Splnut

Wannabe Deer Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Denham Springs, La.
    if its not there and she has no record of it she can't touch it if there's not a traceable paper trail to it...draw up a bill of sale dated before legal separation...

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom