Indoor Range capabilities, wish list

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Having an area for shotguns, rifles, and handguns. Not a single stinking one in NOLA. I have to drive 40 minutes to go shoot a rifle or shotgun. I feel like I am living up north or something. I would also like a large selection of firearms to rent, gunsmith service available, and a soda and snack machine. It would be cool to have a mesh side screen in between the stalls to catch brass that way if you want to keep your brass you can. Resetting targets would be cool. As well as a decent lead free ventilation system so it isn't smoldering and I don't have kids with congenital defects. An observation point would be great. One to watch the shooters and their targets. That way you could take a break, relax for a few minutes, talk and go back in and shoot. It would even be nice to have a fold out bench option per individual stall.

Last edited:

melisa

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 27, 2006
    Gonzales
    Being a little bit more kid friendly. I would like to be able to take my 4 year old to a range without having to fight with the manger!!

I understand it's a range and safety is important but with their being someone that goes to the range all the time (husband) I would like him to be able to take my 4 year old to practice with his 22!

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Ventilation, Ventilation, Ventilation
    Lighting is next.
    I can work around everything else, but ventilation and lighting should be figured out by the owners.

Last edited:

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    agreed ventilation and lighting should be a given, but what else

That there be a 1000yd outdoor range next to it with full time employees manning the pits at 100, 300, 600 and 1000yd lines. ;)

But for that indoor range, I'd really like enough room to spread my arms. Also, a relay system that allows multiple (2 is fine) targets at different ranges per lane. I'd like to see it set up so a user could practice draw stroke safely.

Last edited:

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I even have a great place for you in mind if you decide to go to NOLA. An abandoned Bowling alley right next to Pho Tau Bay. Right across the bridge. The best freaking Vietnamese food every. Dear lord if this works out I swear I will never talk crap about glocks again ever. I might even donate a freaking Kidney. I swear I will even look into the taxing and zoning district. Heck I will even volunteer to help with the electrical. I will work on creating a first born and it is yours....

Man do I sound desperate...... Believe me I am

Last edited:

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Markers that say how far out your target is. I hate our indoor range - you never know how far the target is out.

Also - make sure you have decent crap for rent.

Our range has "protective glasses" for rent that are nothing more than crappy/awkward safety glasses. You can get great glasses for about $3/ea. If you buy something that's relatively comfortable, people will actually WEAR them instead of just immediately taking them off :)

A water fountain would be nice.

If you can't stock ammo within $1-2 of big box stores, please don't rape us even more. I hate walking into the range and seeing a 50rd box of 9mm WWB for $17.50 :mad::mad:

Make sure your parking lot accommodates trucks. Unless you drive a damn smart car, there is zero way you will be able to even fit in the parking lot of our indoor range.

Good luck!!!

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I even have a great place for you in mind if you decide to go to NOLA. An abandoned Bowling alley right next to Pho Tau Bay. Right across the bridge. The best freaking Vietnamese food every. Dear lord if this works out I swear I will never talk crap about glocks again ever. I might even donate a freaking Kidney. I swear I will even look into the taxing and zoning district. Heck I will even volunteer to help with the electrical. I will work on creating a first born and it is yours....

Man do I sound desperate...... Believe me I am

Where is that at?

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    1) Ability to shoot rifles & shotguns
    2) ventilation
    3) some sort of air conditioning
    4) a little extra space to stretch out per lane

That's about it. Longer distances would be nice but I don't think possible if it was close by.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Where is that at?

Pho Tau Bay right off of exit 8 right over the crescent city connection. I believe the best Pho in town but I have only been here one year so take it for what is worth, it is freaking great pho though. The abandoned bowling alley is in the same parking lot crazy looking place but I can't think of an easier convert for a gun range. I mean seems pretty similar in shape and maybe he can get some bowling pins to shoot included in the sale.

I guess they used to have a Pho Tau Bay express across the street from Tulane and LSU med school but it closed after Katrina I freaking have begged the owner to open it. I swear if anyone wants to open a mediocre restaurant across the street from the med schools we have no wear to eat except freaking subway and the cafeteria.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Someone else was just raving about that place. I'm going to have to go check it out.

I shot at an indoor range in Jackson that had the distances painted on the walls. Nice layout too. They had individual rooms with (I think) 3 lanes. In between each 3 lanes there was a cinder block wall. Lighting was good. Prices were ridiculus though ($50 for 2 of us to shoot for an hour).

How about a gun cleaning station? That way you won't have to listen to the wife gripe about the smell... You know, someone would make a fortune if they came out with a perfume that smelled just like Hoppe's #9...

+1 on the snack/congregation area. St. Bernard Indoor had a bit of that. Just a few tables and chairs. It was nice to have a place to watch while waiting for friends to show up, etc.

FITS has a camera system so the range master can watch what's going on. They could take that a step further though. One camera on you shooting, one on the target. Then you could take home a copy to see what you're doing wrong. Maybe not for everyone but have one lane set up for that?

Ventilation is critical. I seem to remember the manager of Jefferson Indoor getting lead poisoning years ago. I think he died from it...

Last edited:

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Have you sent off for a copy of the NRA's Range Sourcebook? It's a great guide base on what to go by.

As far as indoor ranges go:
    1) Price. I would keep it close to what the others in BR are charging and make a yearly membership competitive.
    2) Indoor classroom (like Diamond has) for schools and such.

and a GREAT idea...

3) Say 2 or 3 bays that are larger than most (to accompany a father/mom and child to shoot. That way they could share gun safety with their child and then shoot BB guns and 22 rifle or pistol.

4) Ventilation definitely.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I almost hate to bring this one up... but how about two lanes set aside as a house clearing simulator? Let you move forward and clear doorways, move around furniture, etc. Obviously it would be a bit limited since all shots would have to go in the same direction but still learning to move and shoot would be most useful.

geauxshootin

LA CHP Training and more
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Prairieville
    LACamper
    Talking about some tactical lanes? Maybe a seperate bay?
    what kind of targets?
    objects?

what kind of distance is needed?
    Are you taking like IPSC?

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    :) well , let's see . First , it should be free . Also , anyone that comes with me should be free . It should be a constant 72 in winter and 68 in summer . The target return's should have little bullseye's on them , makes it easier to sight in if you're not going to provide free target's . If I'm trying to sight in a gun , then no one else should be allowed to fire . Unless it's me , I don't care if anyone's trying to sight in . I should not be confined to the shooting booth when I'm shooting and I really don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to walk around anywhere on the property with a loaded gun [hey , you can trust me and my friend Murphy] My kid's should be able to free-range roam at will and it's not your issue wether or not I should try out my 60 lb ,5 yr old child on my new 30-06 . You should keep the lanes open so I can shoot across the lane's [I have a good lawyer , so I'm not worried about the ricochets I'll cause ] Speaking of which , first drop of blood on me I see , I will sue you for absolutly everything you ever thought about owning . I don't care If I shoot my own self , if it's on your property , HAH! Gotcha ! Also , I must be able to shoot my 100 rnd drum as fast as I can from the hip , preferably with a.p. rnd's . And please , don't mind if I'm drunk or high , the red eye's wont affect my shooting one bit . And your ammo prices need to be lower the Academy or Wal-Mart or I just wont buy from you . I understand that a range cost aprox $10,000.00 per linear foot to build and that you'll have your whole life into it , but that's not really my problem . When you opening ? :) You want the sad part ? Be open for 6 month's , then re-read this . You'll be able to add 6 chapter's to it . Wait till you get to the chapter on the EPA and lead reclamation . or "stray round's" , some asshat lock's and load's and let's go a round into another customer or himself or his kid . Once it's in court , the only reason it happened was because you have an unsafe facility . Not saying that'll happen , but the possiblity is one of the reason's your insurance bill will equal that of United Airlines . It's do-able , I wish you the best .

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom