Interesting study.... Use an AR for SD????

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Good post. Really repeats what has been said for years. Your apperance and actions and equipment will greatly influence a jury. Handloads for self defense and a mall ninjaed out ar15 will only give license to an overzelous prosecutor looking to hang you by your toes in court.
    Though none of us in LA would need to worry about that scenario as a homeowner is authorized to lethal force against a burglar in LA without the specific threat of a weapon, but the issue may come up in a ccw/oc encounter in public.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana

If you're ever in a self-defense shooting then the type of gun you use, your gender, and the gender of the jurors, are all factors in whether you are pronounced guilty or not, and how long your sentence may be.

A white male, defending his home, with a Mini-14 being judged by men is MUCH better off than a woman, defending her home with an AR being judged by women.

sylvest

Come and Take It
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Denham Springs
    If you're ever in a self-defense shooting then the type of gun you use, your gender, and the gender of the jurors, are all factors in whether you are pronounced guilty or not, and how long your sentence may be.

A white male, defending his home, with a Mini-14 being judged by men is MUCH better off than a woman, defending her home with an AR being judged by women.

gracias

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    Would it matter if the man armed with AR15, shot the male intruder, and he was found wearing camoflauge woman's panties and bra, why didn't the mock jury look at this, about the only scenario not considered, it would pursuade the judement, just saying, lol

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Would it matter if the man armed with AR15, shot the male intruder, and he was found wearing camoflauge woman's panties and bra, why didn't the mock jury look at this, about the only scenario not considered, it would pursuade the judement, just saying, lol

I don't know. Maybe they were trying to reduce the number of variables to something more mainstream.

Do you wear camo every night?

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    I find it disturbing that there was any 'guilty' verdict against anyone defending their home against an intruder.....just me though....personally, don't care if the homeowner used a pellet gun or a rocket laucher to defend themselves.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    I find it disturbing that there was any 'guilty' verdict against anyone defending their home against an intruder.....just me though....personally, don't care if the homeowner used a pellet gun or a rocket laucher to defend themselves.

Well I think the guilty verdit was a consant in the study, after all it was mock trials and the only variables they were testing was the difference in guns and gender. I doubt guilt or innocence played a factor.

I participated in a study like this when in college. They were studying the effects of presenting evidence in a particular order as to its effect on guilt or innocence. Basically the same testimony, entered into different parts of the trial.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Well I think the guilty verdit was a consant in the study, after all it was mock trials and the only variables they were testing was the difference in guns and gender. I doubt guilt or innocence played a factor.

I participated in a study like this when in college. They were studying the effects of presenting evidence in a particular order as to its effect on guilt or innocence. Basically the same testimony, entered into different parts of the trial.

Yes, I think JD is looking in the wrong place here. They were just keeping a constant scenario and in their state it may be the law. A jury decides if they broke the written law, not necessarily if it's a good or bad law.

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    I was just making a joke, jury profiling, mock juries did not work for us in the insurance defense business in the Ford / Firestone rollovers, mothers day bus accident case, Norco and Gramercy Plant explosions, we spent hundreds of thousands of $$$$ between these cases on what a likely jury would be made up of, what they might likely rule in favor of, and lastly what might be the award, all were off by astronomically, out the ballpark, does not work, all jury studies are tainted by politics and "liberals" lol, and by skewed intentions because they are paid

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I don't know, but I'll bet these worrisome scenarios rarely cross the mind of Joe Criminal. It's a damn shame they have to cross ours.The "justice system" is bass-ackwards.:mad:

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    After reading some of those columns by Ayoob that were mentioned, it made me reconsider new grips. I love the way some custom grips can dress up a gun, and cool looking stuff like a Grim Reaper or Punisher Skull makes it even cooler, but if you ever end up shooting someone with a gun wearing grips like that, it's going into evidence, and before the jury box, as is with all the "badass" looking acoutrements you've attached. Maybe for a safe queen, but I certainly won't put grips like that on anything I'm gonna carry around. Juries are never truly your peers, but they're always the public, and there's a lot of screwballs in the public.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Par7485
    Top Bottom