Question about selling acreage

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I have power of attorney over my Mom's property. She is in a nursing home and we need funds to assist with some of her expenses.

Is it possible to sell a portion, say 1 to10 acres, of her property even though the property is undivided at this time? It is a total of 160 acres plus a home that was appraised 2 years ago for $380,000. She has 50 percent interest in it. Her husbands will was probated in 1981. In the will she was given use of all the property until her death.

Is it possible to do an owner finance with down payment and monthly payments? What would be the best route to take?

I will get an attorney if needed but just throwing this out for some direction.

Last edited:

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Meet with a GOOD local title/real estate attorney (NOT a general attorney who "does real estate too") and get solid answers. It will be well worth whatever you have to pay him.

What you describe is a very complicated issue, with many associated risks.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    Is it possible to sell a portion, say 10 acres, of her property even though the property is undivided at this time
    Yes, if you can find a buyer. The value will be markedly discounted due to the indivision.

Is it possible to do an owner finance
    Yes. You will probably have to if the buyer can't pay cash. The buyer may not find a lender on a deal like that.

I'm curious, how much an acre are you asking?

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Where is the land located?

Beauregard Parish, about 4 miles east of DeRidder. On the Tuscaloosa Trend.
    Aerial shot showing well site that was built about 2003 but never drilled. About 100 acres cleared, 60 acres hardwoods some pine.

u2puyeo4uk0xwkmsw483.jpg

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    If the purchaser is paying cash then you can do it. Owner finance could prob. work also. I am pretty sure either way you will need a survey. I would not want to buy land without one. Maybe the buyer will pay for the survey just to get the portion clearly marked so they know what they are getting. A bank will NOT lend on a piece of property that has not been survey out. They want to know exactly what they are getting should the loan default. Due to new guidelines appraisers now cannot appraise a portion of a larger tract of land unless its been surveyed out.

Last edited:

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I wish my family had this! That is nice property...

Last edited:

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Hard to do when you only own 50%. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If it is an undivided estate with 50/50 ownership can you get agreement on what part to sell. Different parts have different value. If you divide it improperly you can devalue other parts of the estate. ie. sell all of the road frontage and landlock the back.

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    If you own 50% of a property you can either force the other party to buy you out or force a sale to get your full share of the value.

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    If you own 50% of a property you can either force the other party to buy you out or force a sale to get your full share of the value.

You can not "force" the other party to buy you out!! You can offer to buy the other party out, but they are under no obligation to sell to you. You "can" then go to court and partition to divide the property, expensive, will require a survey and appraisal. If you end up with the road frontage and do sell that off, you will have to give the other party a right of easement.
    Or, you can sell your undivided interest to a 3rd party, this usually results in a deep discount on the selling price. Undivided interest in "heir property" can be a burden. :eek3::eek3::eek3:

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    Like all stated above you can buy out the other person.

How much per acre? Do you own a certain part or just 50 percent interest in all of it? What is it assessed at?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom