Florida Permits for LA residents

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadhazzard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2008
    Near Monroe
    It looks like it has happened. According to the Florida webpage http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html .

Florida says Louisiana does not recognize Florida permits for a Louisiana resident. Although, I didn't see anything about it on the LSP site.

Well, I wonder if there will be some kind of grace period for those of us who have been using the Florida permit for a long time? If the timelines are still as long as some earlier threads have indicated I may have a long wait.

Can someone recommend a good instructor in the Monroe area? My training was more than 12 months ago.

LSU2010

I <3 U.S. Constitution
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Well, I wonder if there will be some kind of grace period for those of us who have been using the Florida permit for a long time?

From what I've heard and by the way my CHP instructor talked about the CHPU, I would seriously doubt this. Not something you want to find out in situ either. Best just to call. They're nice :)

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    LSP, NOLA COP... any word to confirm this has actually taken place? Is there a grace? My LA CHP is in process as I acted on your advice earlier. Didn't know it would be so quick and without warning (formally). thanks.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Waiting to get word. The man who would know is off today.
    The ladies in the office say, "the bill is written it just hasn't gone into effect here yet."

They have no info about grace periods or if it will be immediate.

Will advise when we get the word.

PLEASE DO NOT CALL LSP. The ladies do not know. We do not want to flood them with calls and stop them from working on apps.

Will keep you guys informaed.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    The Florida reciprocity page states:

PLEASE NOTE: The reciprocity information on this page is ALWAYS CURRENT. The Division of Licensing constantly monitors changing gun laws in other states and attempts to negotiate agreements as the laws in those states allow.
    This list was last updated on September 4, 2009

I have been emailing and speaking to a senior staffer in the Florida permit office ever since the impending loss of reciprocity was first brought up. On September 14 (last month) I emailed him to ask if there were any changes in the works. Note that this is 10 days after the last update to their website. Here was his reply, sent on the same day (9/14/2009):

No, we have not received any additional information from Louisiana authorities concerning possible changes to the Florida-Louisiana reciprocity agreement. Things remain unchanged to date. I will keep you informed if something does happen to change the status quo.

So, unless the 9/4/2009 update date on their website is wrong, then at the time of his email the Florida website already indicated that Louisiana does not recognize Florida non-resident permits!

After spotting this thread last night, I emailed him immediately for clarification. I got a read receipt this morning, but no reply yet. When I do, I'll post whatever I learn.

The missus and I are getting our Louisiana CHP's as soon as we can take a class. We've missed out on a couple due to scheduling conflicts, and can't make it this coming weekend either. (All BR/Walker/Denham area instructors feel free to PM me with your class schedules.)

There have been numerous informed discussions on this board about the subject of Florida reciprocity. The change is going to happen; it's just a matter of when. My concern is now whether it already has! :eek3:

BTW, the training requirements for Florida are indeed much more lax than LA. However, the Florida training requirements are no different for their resident vs. non-resident permits! If training is truly the reason for dropping Florida reciprocity, then LA should drop all Florida reciprocity, period. If they only stop recognizing Florida NON-resident permits, then it's simply about the money, in my opinion.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I've been warning my students for over a year that this was coming. And, as Spanky said, it's been discussed on this board any number of times.

Caveat emptor ?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom