Carrying in truck on campus

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Well, just went by the campus PD. got yelled at. :P

So, here I am gonna quote the pertenant laws.

RS 40:1796 Preemption of state law

A. No governing authority of a political subdivision shall enact after July 15th, 1985, any ordinance or regulation more restrictive than state law concerning in any way the sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transfer, transportation, license, or registration of firearms, ammunition, or components of firearms or ammunition; however, this section shall not apply to the levy and collection of sales and use taxes, license fees and taxes and permit fees, nor shall it affect the authority of political subdivisions to prohibit the possession of a weapon or firearm in certain commercial establishments and public buildings.

RS 14:95.6 Firearm-free zone; notice; signs, crime; penalties

A. A "firearm-free zone" is an area inclusive of any school campus and within one thousand feet of any such school campus, and within a school bus.

B. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to:
    (5) Any constitutionally protected activity within the firearm-free zone, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.

CONST 1 11 Right to Keep and Bear Arms

Section 11. The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be abridged, but this provision shall not prevent the passage of laws to prohibit the carrying of weapons concealed on the person

The La. Constitution states that owning and carrying a firearm is a legal and lawful right

So basically, 95.6 states that I CAN carry in my truck on campus.

1796 says that the school cannot put forth a law preventing otherwise.

Am I missing something?

So, where is the best place to start on fighting this some more?

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    i got one. what IF you have a gun in your vehicle, but you are busted with Marijuana inside your car.

now you are charged with Poss Marijuana in a Drug Free zone and Poss of a Firearm w/CDS. hmmmmmm

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Why did you go by the PD? To ask permission?

Put it in your truck, make sure it is out of sight, lock doors, then go about your business.....and don't run around telling everybody you have a gun in your vehicle.

Unless you have one as a close friend, conversations with cops are usually one-way and something bad just happened....

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Sounds like you answered the question yourself. You have the law right there. You know for a fact you can carry inside your vehicle on campus. Print the law out and keep it in your vehicle. Why even bother asking campus police?

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    You can carry a firearm in your truck
    Why did you go by the PD? To ask permission?

Put it in your truck, make sure it is out of sight, lock doors, then go about your business.....and don't run around telling everybody you have a gun in your vehicle.

Unless you have one as a close friend, conversations with cops are usually one-way and something bad just happened....

What he said.

:)

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Why did I go to the PD to discuss this, after last nights incidinet, the Sheriff contacted the campus PD, now, I am friends with a few of those officers on campus, however, some of the rest are on the worst power trip I have ever seen for LEOs, (prolyl since they are REAL officers, but they get picked on and compared to security guards)

What this means though is that I can expect further harassment from the campus police, and after I have refused them searching my truck enough times, they will likely go after a warrent to do it w/o my permission.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I would hope that it would be hard to find a Judge to sign a warrant to search your property for being a law abiding citizen.

That IS something I could get the NRA/SAF on the horn about.

Calhoun123

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Near Shreveport
    Which university?????

Fact is, you are right and they are wrong. The problem is, the university might be able to enforce their "rules" against weapons in a vehicle, even if no "law" is broken.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    No guns allowed on campus at LSU, car is the exception.

Unfortunately, car break-ins are extremely common on and around campus. It's a risk one must take if they want their firearm with them before & after their duties on campus.

Hopefully soon LSU will change their policy and allow CHP CC on campus. If they do I will take part.

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Get a vehicle lock box such as the kind sold here: http://www.center-of-mass.com/

LSideView1911.jpg

One end of the cable goes around the frame under the seat and the other is secured to the box. The box is very sturdy and would definitely stop the 'smash n grab' thief. I have also used it in my checked luggage when traveling by air.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Why did I go to the PD to discuss this, after last nights incidinet, the Sheriff contacted the campus PD, now, I am friends with a few of those officers on campus, however, some of the rest are on the worst power trip I have ever seen for LEOs, (prolyl since they are REAL officers, but they get picked on and compared to security guards)

What this means though is that I can expect further harassment from the campus police, and after I have refused them searching my truck enough times, they will likely go after a warrent to do it w/o my permission.

A warrant on what grounds? What did you do wrong? Refusal of a search?

Hardly a reason for a warrant....

And why have you had so many "run-in's" with the campus police ending in a refusal of search? I've been going to SLU for 4 yrs. and they don't even know who I am, let alone if or if I don't have a gun in my truck hidden really well yet easily accessible;)

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    A warrant on what grounds? What did you do wrong? Refusal of a search?

Hardly a reason for a warrant....

And why have you had so many "run-in's" with the campus police ending in a refusal of search? I've been going to SLU for 4 yrs. and they don't even know who I am, let alone if or if I don't have a gun in my truck hidden really well yet easily accessible;)

I just saw you lived on campus......

But still, one could fly low enough on the radar for the campus PD not to care.

Top Bottom