New snake gun on the way, snake boot question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    I had a close encounter with a cottonmouth yesterday. I was tooling through my yard about 20 yards from the treeline and seen him coming my way quick. I stopped and backed off but he kept coming. I went left, he followed suit. So, I pulled out my PM9 from my pocket and took two shots at him. Of course I missed, but at least it made him go the other way. So this morning I bought a Taurus Public Defender (smaller judge) so that I might actually be able to hit the damned things. It should be here by the next time i need to do lawn work.

I also went by Cabelas to get some snake boots. The only ones that fit, I have wide feet (and a wide ass), cost nearly $170 and were insulated. Any leads for a decent pair of snake boots that are available in wide widths, won't break the bank and won't bake my feet in the Louisiana heat?

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I also went by Cabelas to get some snake boots. The only ones that fit, I have wide feet (and a wide ass), cost nearly $170 and were insulated. Any leads for a decent pair of snake boots that are available in wide widths, won't break the bank and won't bake my feet in the Louisiana heat?

All you really need is a sturdy pair of leather boots. Snakes fangs are relatively fragile and even though they're sharp I have never heard they'll go through leather. You can get a pair of Justin Muleskin but I wouldn't want to do yardwork in those.

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    I haven't seen them in a while, but someone makes a hard plastic (similar to Kydex) leg protector. They cover from your ankle to just below the knee. They just open and close around the leg. Good boots are expensive, but should give you pretty good protection, too.

The Judge should do the trick if you see them in time.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    for water moccasins regular knee high rubber boots are just fine, at my camp we have rattle snakes which have a bit more bite, I use snake boots - I found some at Bass Pro for a reasonable price, uninsulated and side zipped. They are a bit warm for working in though.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I like to be efficient and frequently look to combine both the smart and dumb aspects in a unique way. I try to be an artist at being a smart/dumb a$$.

Dave

smith625

REVOLVER DRIVER
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    port vincent louisiana
    +1 on those plastic protectors, i saw them at academy a while back, they usualy stock them in the spring for turkey season rattlers. Ck your outfitters books they usually have them.

ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The public defender should make a fine snake gun. Get you some 8 or 9 shot loads and you'll never miss.

I'd just buy some sturdy work boots at Academy or those snake guards and you'd be fine.

BUT, I think once the local snake population hears of your revolver purchase they will probably just pack up and move. :D

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Oh I know about the hockey baby. They automatically renew me every year. Did you see the Hurricanes/Penguins game from Wednesday? It was one of the best games I've seen in a LONG while. Some great saves from both Marc Andrea Fleury and Cam Ward. They went to the shoot out and were 6 deep before Kunitz scored the game winner.

Dave

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    Speaking of hockey... Cox has all of the NHL channels free until around October 24. The wife and I are going to Dallas in November to see the Stars play the Devils.

/hijack thread.

Hockey, let me see. Isn't that the game where these guys beat each other with sticks and sometimes hit a flat golf ball? If the flat ball hits the net it signals them to start fighting with their fist. I think I watched it, a minute, while flipping through channels.:crazy:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Hockey, let me see. Isn't that the game where these guys beat each other with sticks and sometimes hit a flat golf ball? If the flat ball hits the net it signals them to start fighting with their fist. I think I watched it, a minute, while flipping through channels.

Well it has a few more rules than the pro-wrestling UFC stuff you do enjoy.

:)

Dave

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    You + Public Defender + Snakes=

Snakeskin_Boots.jpg

The only "snake boots" you will need to worry about.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rynola
    Top Bottom