Sighting in new scope...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shwane

Motivator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Youngsville, LA
    The first shot was low and to the left. The next three tell the tell pretty good.

Oh yea...
    100 yds
    Browning 7mm Rem Mag
    B.O.S.S.
    Swaroski AV 3-10 x 42

Last edited:

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    I assume you were looking for some feedback.

I'm also assuming that those squares on the target background are 1 inch in dimension.

That put's the 3 shot group at about 1.25 to 1.5 inches.

First, All 4 shots would be viable kill shots on a deer/hog.

Are you shooting from a solid rest?

If you are, I would not be satisfied with this group at 100 yards.

First, Double check all of the contact point on the scope mount and be sure they are tight and torqued to specs.
    Once that's done, You need to try tuning the BOSS.

Good luck!

onlyjourneyman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    I'm with the Pirate on this one.
    THAT scope and THAT gun are made to do a lot better at 100 yds.
    If the recommendations still don't make that rig shoot hole in hole you'll need to look at other ammo options. Guns like ---- sometimes like different ammo, but the gun needs to be steady. Everything tight and a GOOD STEADY REST. JMO

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    The first shot was low and to the left. The next three tell the tell pretty good.

Oh yea...
    100 yds
    Browning 7mm Rem Mag
    B.O.S.S.
    Swaroski AV 3-10 x 42

Nice rifle/scope. I take it you're looking to brag about a new hunting rig setup?? If so, then congrats on the purchase and don't negate practice. It'll kill a deer, but don't settle for "good enough".

If you're looking for anything else then post a lot more information. Good luck man!

Shwane

Motivator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Youngsville, LA
    Sorry I should have explained the pic better. Here goes. The BOSS is tuned according to the sweet spot chart (2-3 it says, I set it at 2.5). I was using Winchester ballistic silver tips 150 gr. The first 4 to the left was just getting it onto the right elevation. I guess I should have took a pic of the final product as not to be misleading. Once on target I dialed it up another 2 inches to compensate bullet drop and made a shot group of about an inch maybe a shade more. Not bad for factory ammo. Also, this is my first Swaroski scope and I cant say enough good stuff about it.

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Saint Martinville/Lafayette
    I have the same set up....I'm pretty sure you stole my gun:p and I shoot the same bullets. At 100 yards I set it 2" high and I can shoot 3 times and have the bullet holes touching each other.

peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    Not to get off topic but I have to admit I really like and hate those BOSS systems. My father in law has one on 300 win mag and the recoil is like a 308 but it sounds like a tank when fired. When I shot his 300 WM I wear plugs and muffs.

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    Gun Looks Great too!

Someone in our hunting club the exact same gun.

Sounded like a Space Shuttle launch when he would shoot.

He's miss, then come back to camp and say he hadn't shot. LIAR!!!

He couldn't cure his Buck Fever.

Good Luck!!

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    You probably will want to try a lot of different ammo (weights, bullets, factory brands, etc.) and may find something that shoots a lot better. Shoot AT LEAST a five round group for determining accuracy, ten's better, but pay great attention to your first round hit. That first shot in comparison to your point of aim is more important than the rest.

I picked up a new (to me) rifle last week and got it out to the range this weekend. Slapped a scope on it and shot a couple of groups with different bullets and loads just to see what it would do. The shot low and to the right was the clean barrel/fouling shot and then a five round group of 155 Scenars.
    11-8target1.jpg

It clearly liked the match load of the 175gr. SMK's better though.
    11-8target2.jpg

It's a bone stock 700 LTR in .308 that I'm going to use for hunting. Right now with the steel rail it's coming in a tad under 8lbs. I just need to find a nice light scope and rings to keep everything under 9.5lbs.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    How many of the ballistic silver tips have you put down the barrel? I recently began reloading with the 130gr Combined Technologies Moly coated ballistic tips (same bullet winchester uses in the ones you are shooting) and found that it took about 10 rounds for the groups to tighten up and the velocity to stabilize. From what I read, the moly has to coat the barrel before it can be beneficial. Moly is being used as a lubricant to cut down on fouling and barrel wear. Eventually the moly will build up too much and your groups will open back up. At this point you will have to remove it from the bore and put a new coat in it. I have not made it to this point yet, but I have been told that most solvents will not remove the moly. USP Bore Paste (similar to JB) is the only thing that multiple people have told me will work, along with some scrubbing.

Like stated before, If you are happy with those groups for deer/hogs, then good. But if you want better groups, make sure the barrel is fully coated, but watch for excess build up, and make sure you are shooting from solid rest. Also, if you are going to go back with a non-moly coated bullet, make sure you remove all the moly from the bore.

Last edited:

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    Those are the groups I was talking about!!!

I have hunted with my Rem 700 heavy barreled 308 for 15 years now.
    It has always grouped like the lower photo.

Whatever it weighs, I'm happy to haul it. It ALWAYS gets the job done.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wrobi2016
    Top Bottom