Finally got to run my new LMT this past weekend...(also, HDI M92 and Saiga 12)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Obey

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 14, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    First, a big shout to Will at Red Jacket, who did a hell of a job on this custom upper. He prides himself on being an AK man, but his work on the AR was seamless.

pb070141.jpg

I've probably had this rifle for a couple of months, complete and ready to shoot...and it has just sat...

It is an LMT 14.5" that was shortened to 11.5" (as you can see, about the same length as the Larue quad-rail) and opened up by Red Jacket Firearms.

Larue Quad Rail
    Aimpoint Micro and Larue mount
    BCM BCG
    Duostock
    Tdi VFG
    Magpul BAD
    RediMag
    YHM Phantom QD FH
    YHM Phantom 7.62 Stainless silencer (can swap between my 5.56 and 7.62 rifles)
    ERGO grip
    PRI BigLatch CH
    LMT F&R BUIS
    H-Buffer
    Plain-ol USGI 2pt sling

pb070146.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised with the results: this was probably the best five-shot, prone, 50 yard group I have ever shot with iron sights (yes, shot this group without the AP). I was doubly surprised, because the LMT BUIS are just standard A2 sights, nothing special like the Centurion diopters on my LMT piston. That was also shitty Wolf 55gr ammo shot through a 1:7 bbl.

In any case, I am, as usual, blown away by the quality of LMT, BCM, YHM, and Larue products (even if it was just a domestic range session).

In case you were wondering, I used a standard PRI CH, not the gasbuster, and I experienced no blowback issues through the CH opening.

Lube used was Tetra. I know a lot of people here prefer SLIP, but I've always used Tetra with good results, and it seems to stick around for a while without getting gummy. (Wonder if using a heavier lube like Tetra had anything to do with the lack of gas blowback?) Plus, in a perverted kind of way, I like the way Tetra smells when it burns...

-------
    Shot a few newer Kalashnikov-style long guns as well:

pb070147n.jpg

My Saiga-12 converted by HDI.

I have a big problem - this is an earlier model without a BHO, therefore, it is a complicated procedure to change mags. I am going to have to fix this or just sell it, because that just about makes it pointless in my mind. Any ideas?

Anyways, shot a few sleeves of 3" 00 through it, and it cycled perfectly. The recoil was definitely manageable.

pb070148.jpg

This M92 Krink is a Vector gun that I sent to HDI to have the triangle folder installed. This may be my favorite gun that I own. It is literally a blast to shoot, though I can barely hit a damn thing with the irons. I'm looking into mounting a Larue base/Burris FastFire on it after picking up a Samson quad rail.

thorswhisper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2009
    Covington, La.
    Thats a Hell of a nice rig. Appears to be pretty damn accurate too. I ran an LMT about 1700 rounds in the Magpul class ,with just adding Slip, no hiccups at all. How much decibel reduction does the suppressor do?

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    My Saiga-12 converted by HDI.

I have a big problem - this is an earlier model without a BHO, therefore, it is a complicated procedure to change mags. I am going to have to fix this or just sell it, because that just about makes it pointless in my mind. Any ideas?

Anyways, shot a few sleeves of 3" 00 through it, and it cycled perfectly. The recoil was definitely manageable.

??? The gun in the pic has a BHO??? If you don't have a BHO CSS http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-261/Tromix-Saiga-12-Bolt/Detail
    sell's them, or you could put a magwell on http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-312/AGP-Saiga-12-Magazine/Detail but then no drums with out unbolting it and the front tab on your mags have to be sanded off.

Obey

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 14, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Thats a Hell of a nice rig. Appears to be pretty damn accurate too. I ran an LMT about 1700 rounds in the Magpul class ,with just adding Slip, no hiccups at all. How much decibel reduction does the suppressor do?

I could shoot it without ears, which was nice, but it was hard to discern what was muzzle noise and what was sonic boom, since all I had was 55gr. I plan on getting some heavier stuff to see if it makes any difference. I'd like to get a .300 Whisper upper at some point.

Nice rigs.

JR1572

Thanks! :)
    \
    ??? The gun in the pic has a BHO??? If you don't have a BHO CSS http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-261/Tromix-Saiga-12-Bolt/Detail
    sell's them, or you could put a magwell on http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-312/AGP-Saiga-12-Magazine/Detail but then no drums with out unbolting it and the front tab on your mags have to be sanded off.

Thanks for the links!! What do you recommend? I don't care about drums at all, so that makes no difference to me - would the magwell be the best option?

Who is HDI and how much did the SAIGA conversion cost?

HDI is Henderson Defense Industries in Nevada. They are really good, but I'd recommend Red Stick just because Will is a good local business. HDI did the work sorta for free - I bought a Century Tantal from them a while back that keyholed, so they did the Saiga conversion for free (along with some work to my FALs) at my request in lieu of a refund.

Obey

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 14, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

Ehhh, just looked at the magwell. I don't think I want to commit to using AGP magazines. My chief complaint with the Saiga is that the aftermarket mags are plain ****. Just ****. How is it that magpul can make an indestructible plastic mag for $11 while AGP, Promag, and Surefire make mags out of that shitty plastic I used when I made snap-together model airplanes when I was 6 and then sell them for $50?

Does grinding the bolt have any negative effects?

Top Bottom