moving with class 3

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    I have a few questions about class 3 stuff. If I get a form 4 in LA and then move to another state, do I have to then get a form 4 in the state I move to?

What if I get a form 4 in WI (parents address), can I still have the stuff with my down here?

trey504

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    NOLA
    Everytime you move your items you need to get pre approval by sending in a 5320.20. Mine took less than a month to come back.

FYI: The form is needed for silencers even though its not listed on the instructions page.

Last edited:

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    Yeah you just file a new address with the ATF assuming the state you are moving to allows your weapon. Simple process.

Good to know. What if I am still awaiting the approval process and I have to move?

Also, can I have it approved on forms registered in WI and have it with me whatever state I'm in? Assuming it is legal to have it in that state. Or do I have to have it registered where it is?

yarbsea

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Bossier
    waiting for approval and moving out of state?

I had that issue. The examiner asked me to cancle my request, redo everything with a new CLEO in the new state and resubmit. Makes sense - how can he approve something which you have not correctly submited, i.e. he has no idea where you are headed.

But you know NFA crap..they make it up as they go..maybe you can trick them :)

But that's what happened to me.

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    anyone know about the out of state thing? Filing forms at my parents house and keeping the stuff down here with me?

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    That would be a no no if you do not live with them. The address on the form is were the weapon is to be stored the form to travel with to another place has to be done after you have your tax stamp, but on a plus side you could fill it out for a year. This is all to keep people from living in one place or pretending to and then showing up some place were they couldn't get a sign off. You don't want to "bend" the NFA law like car tags ;)

yarbsea

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Bossier
    Keep in mind when you get NFA weapons the BATF can come "take" a look at them with just a knock on the door and a smile.

This statement is a ridiculous fabrication that has been passed on by confused gun-shop workers and fudds at gunshows and ranges.

Please don't pass on this garbage.

The only way the ATF can come look at your crap is with a warrent. Plain and simple. :squint:

yarbsea

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Bossier
    Good to know. What if I am still awaiting the approval process and I have to move?

Also, can I have it approved on forms registered in WI and have it with me whatever state I'm in? Assuming it is legal to have it in that state. Or do I have to have it registered where it is?

Dude, i'm serious. I went through this - just because you don't like my answer doesn't mean it's wrong.

Call them yourself an see. If you file the papers with a LA address, and then move "mid-stream" to WI with the item, you are on the road to a felony once the stamp is approved, because you will instantly be in possession of a NFA item without proper .20 approval.

And we're still ignoring the fact that you are misrepresenting your RESIDENCE, and your CLEO, and couple other things :)

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    Dude, i'm serious. I went through this - just because you don't like my answer doesn't mean it's wrong.

Call them yourself an see. If you file the papers with a LA address, and then move "mid-stream" to WI with the item, you are on the road to a felony once the stamp is approved, because you will instantly be in possession of a NFA item without proper .20 approval.

And we're still ignoring the fact that you are misrepresenting your RESIDENCE, and your CLEO, and couple other things :)

So I guess its best to hold off on nfa items until I move then hey?

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    OK your right about the warrant but I don't see it being hard for them to get one. My point being you should not goof on a ATF form... With false info.

yarbsea

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Bossier
    Yea, don't mess with the NFA.

Hold off until you move. That's what I ended up doing a while back. There just isn't an easy way to make it work.

And yea, as far as them getting a warrant? Probably not too hard :) All they do is tell the judge "that guy has DANGEROUS ASSUALT WEAPONS AND ASSASAIN SILENCERS!!! OMG OMG"
    lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom