Parish Permit in St. Tammany

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VoidSpawn

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 26, 2008
    Slidell, LA.
    I can't recall where I heard it, but I thought someone had stated previously that Jack Strain refused to issue Parish CHP Permits in St. Tammany, but I decided to investigate it a little. I spoke with a Lt. in the firearms training division this afternoon. She wasn't even aware of such a thing. I spent a few minutes discussing it with her and pointed to the relevent statute. She was intigued enough to get my number and say that she will get some more info and get back to me. I kindly pointed out the last sentence which states:

Notwithstanding the provisions of this Subsection, the issuance of a permit shall not be unreasonably withheld.

It may get me no where, but at least it wasn't a blatently negative discussion. She also mentioned she was going to call around to some other parishes and see how they were handling the parish permit issue.

Responses to follow.....:)

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Hopefully you will get somewhere with it. The response I received was that the older parish permit statute (40:1379.1) was antiquated with the passing of 40:1379.3. I believe the sheriff feels that as long as he does not issue them across the board, then it is ok. (The same as signing off on class 3 stamps)

LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    I went through the same thing with my parish earlier this summer. Have her call Evangeline Parish sheriffs office. The secretary there did all the "leg" work for getting mine issued.

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Not sure I follow your thinking. Why would you want a "parish permit" vs. a statewide permit that also offers reciprocity? Am I missing something?

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Not sure I follow your thinking. Why would you want a "parish permit" vs. a statewide permit that also offers reciprocity? Am I missing something?

Parish permit statute allows carry in more places (church, school zones, etc) than the fairly restrictive state permit.

Dogman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    Parish permit statute allows carry in more places (church, school zones, etc) than the fairly restrictive state permit.

Uh...I think you better check on that. There are state laws that prohibit carry in churches, schools, etc., that I don't believe parish laws can supercede. Federal laws may be involved when it comes to schools--I could be wrong on that but I somehow dredged it up from my foggy memory banks.

I originally got a parish permit while waiting for my Florida non-resident license. The advantage was that I got it the day I applied for it.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Go look up the statutes, and the rules that apply to each type of permit. The language is pretty clear. Don't take my word for it :)

Or ask "LouisianaCarry."

Dogman. . . what parish are you in? Just want to know what parish gave you a parish permit same day.

david210

Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 12, 2008
    Prairieville
    1379.1. Special officers; powers and duties; concealed handgun permit

A. The superintendent of state police shall be authorized to issue at his discretion a special officer's commission from the division of state police. Any person who receives a special officer's commission must display need for statewide police power and power to arrest, be bonded, and adhere to all restrictive stipulations as set forth in the special officer's commission.

B. The special officer, when performing those tasks requiring a special officer's commission, shall have the same powers and duties as a peace officer; provided, however, that when not performing these tasks directly related to the special officer's commission, he shall be regarded as a private citizen and his commission shall not be in effect.

C. The superintendent of state police shall determine who is entitled to receive a special officer's commission and may promulgate and adopt regulations providing with respect to the issuance and use of said permits.

D. The superintendent of state police shall have the authority to revoke any special officer's commission for cause, and is further empowered to require those holding special officer's commissions to furnish proof of their being bonded and such other information as may be deemed necessary for determining suitability for holding a special officer's commission.

E. All special officer or agent commissions previously issued by the department of public safety are rescinded upon the effective date of this Section.

F. During a declared state of emergency or disaster by the governor, the deputy secretary of the Department of Public Safety and Corrections, Public Safety Services, office of state police may issue a special officer’s commission to a commissioned law enforcement officer who responds to a request for assistance pursuant to the Southern Regional Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness Management Assistance Compact, as found in R.S. 29:751 and is determined by the deputy secretary to need statewide police power and power to arrest. Any person who receives a special officer’s commission under this Subsection shall not be required to be bonded and shall adhere to all restrictive stipulations as set forth in the special officer’s commission and regulations promulgated and adopted pursuant to Subsection C of this Section. Such person shall have the powers and duties of a peace officer, provided, that when he is not performing tasks directly related to the special officer's commission, he shall be regarded as a private citizen and his commission shall not be in effect.

G. The chief law enforcement officer of a parish shall have the authority to issue a concealed handgun permit to an individual, which permit shall be valid only within the boundaries of the chief law enforcement officer's parish. Upon application, the officer shall personally perform a standard criminal record check. The officer who performed the standard criminal record check shall not be liable for acts committed by the permittee, unless the officer had actual personal knowledge at the time he issued the permit that the permittee was mentally unstable or disqualified by law from possessing a firearm. Notwithstanding the provisions of this Subsection, the issuance of a permit shall not be unreasonably withheld.
    H. The deputy secretary of the Department of Public Safety shall have the authority to grant to an individual a concealed handgun permit from the office of state police. Before the individual applies to the deputy secretary for a permit, he must have been granted a concealed handgun permit by the chief law enforcement officer of the parish in which he is officially domiciled. Any individual who receives a concealed handgun permit from the office of state police must be bonded in the amount of five thousand dollars and must adhere to all restrictive stipulations as provided in the concealed handgun permit. Further, the deputy secretary shall have the authority to promulgate and adopt regulations providing with respect to the issuance and use of said permit.

I. The superintendent of state police or the chief law enforcement officer of a parish shall have the authority to revoke any concealed handgun permit, and is further empowered to require those holding handgun permits to furnish proof of their being bonded, and such other information as may be deemed necessary for determining suitability for holding a concealed handgun permit.

J. Special officer commissions shall be valid only for a period of one year from the date of their issuance. However, special officer commissions issued to employees of the department shall be valid until revoked by the superintendent. Special officer commissions issued to judges shall be valid for the length of their term of office.

K. For the purposes of this Section, "handgun" is defined as meaning any pistol or revolver originally designed to be fired by the use of a single hand and which is designed to fire or is capable of firing fixed cartridge ammunition.

L. No provision of this Section or of any regulation of the superintendent of state police shall be construed to require persons holding bona fide law enforcement officer commissions to possess a handgun permit.

M. Anyone in possession of a concealed handgun permit issued by the superintendent who uses a handgun in a task not directly related to the stipulations set forth in the permit shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars, or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

N.(1) Notwithstanding the provisions of Subsections A, B, C, and D of this Section, the deputy secretary of public safety services shall issue a special officer's commission to the sergeant at arms or assistant sergeants at arms of the Senate or the House of Representatives when directed to do so by the president of the Senate or the speaker of the House of Representatives. The deputy secretary shall not determine eligibility for a special officer's commission under this Subsection, which determination shall be made solely by the president of the Senate or the speaker of the House of Representatives.

(2) Commissions under this Subsection shall not exceed the term of the president of the Senate or the speaker of the House of Representatives, according to the length of the remaining term of the respective party.

Added by Acts 1975, No. 412, §1. Amended by Acts 1982, No. 663, §1; Acts 1991, No. 562, §1; Acts 1992, No. 892, §1, eff. July 8, 1992; Acts 1993, No. 942, §1; Acts 1996, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 4, §1, eff. April 19, 1996; Acts 1999, No. 1367, §1; Acts 2006, No. 317, §1, eff. June 13, 2006.

david210

Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 12, 2008
    Prairieville
    95.2. Carrying a firearm, or dangerous weapon, by a student or nonstudent on school property, at school-sponsored functions or firearm-free zone

A. Carrying a firearm, or dangerous weapon as defined in R.S. 14:2, by a student or nonstudent on school property, at a school sponsored function, or in a firearm-free zone is unlawful and shall be defined as possession of any firearm or dangerous weapon, on one's person, at any time while on a school campus, on school transportation, or at any school sponsored function in a specific designated area including but not limited to athletic competitions, dances, parties, or any extracurricular activities, or within one thousand feet of any school campus.

B. For purposes of this Section, the following words have the following meanings:

(1) "School" means any elementary, secondary, high school, vocational-technical school, college, or university in this state.

(2) "Campus" means all facilities and property within the boundary of the school property.

(3) "School bus" means any motor bus being used to transport children to and from school or in connection with school activities.

(4) "Nonstudent" means any person not registered and enrolled in that school or a suspended student who does not have permission to be on the school campus.

C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to:

(1) A federal, state, or local law enforcement officer in the performance of his official duties.

(2) A school official or employee acting during the normal course of his employment or a student acting under the direction of such school official or employee.

(3) Any person having the written permission of the principal.

(4) The possession of a firearm occurring within one thousand feet of school property and entirely on private property, or entirely within a private residence, or in accordance with a concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to R.S. 40:1379.1.
    (5) Any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.

(6) Any student carrying a firearm to or from a class, in which he is duly enrolled, that requires the use of the firearm in the class.

(7) A student enrolled or participating in an activity requiring the use of a firearm including but not limited to any ROTC function under the authorization of a university.

(8) A student who possesses a firearm in his dormitory room or while going to or from his vehicle or any other person with permission of the administration.

D.(1) Whoever commits the crime of carrying a firearm, or a dangerous weapon as defined in R.S. 14:2, by a student or nonstudent on school property, at a school-sponsored function, or in a firearm-free zone shall be imprisoned at hard labor for not more than five years.

(2) Whoever commits the crime of carrying a firearm, or a dangerous weapon as defined in R.S. 14:2, on school property or in a firearm-free zone with the firearm or dangerous weapon being used in the commission of a crime of violence as defined in R.S. 14:2(B) on school property or in a firearm-free zone, shall be fined not more than two thousand dollars, or imprisoned, with or without hard labor, for not less than one year nor more than five years, or both. Any sentence issued pursuant to the provisions of this Paragraph and any sentence issued pursuant to a violation of a crime of violence as defined in R.S. 14:2(B) shall be served consecutively. Upon commitment to the Department of Public Safety and Corrections after conviction for a crime committed on school property, at a school-sponsored function or in a firearm-free zone, the department shall have the offender evaluated through appropriate examinations or tests conducted under the supervision of the department. Such evaluation shall be made within thirty days of the order of commitment.

E. Lack of knowledge that the prohibited act occurred on or within one thousand feet of school property shall not be a defense.

F.(1) School officials shall notify all students and parents of the impact of this legislation and shall post notices of the impact of this Section at each major point of entry to the school. These notices shall be maintained as permanent notices.

(2)(a) If a student is detained by the principal or other school official for violation of this Section or the school principal or other school official confiscates or seizes a firearm or concealed weapon from a student while upon school property, at a school function, or on a school bus, the principal or other school official in charge at the time of the detention or seizure shall immediately report the detention or seizure to the police department or sheriff's department where the school is located and shall deliver any firearm or weapon seized to that agency.

(b) The confiscated weapon shall be disposed of or destroyed as provided by law.

(3) If a student is detained pursuant to Paragraph (2) of this Subsection for carrying a concealed weapon on campus, the principal shall immediately notify the student's parents.

(4) If a person is arrested for carrying a concealed weapon on campus by a university or college police officer, the weapon shall be given to the sheriff, chief of police, or other officer to whom custody of the arrested person is transferred as provided by R.S. 17:1805(B).

G. Any principal or school official in charge who fails to report the detention of a student or the seizure of a firearm or concealed weapon to a law enforcement agency as required by Paragraph (F)(2) of this Section within seventy-two hours of notice of the detention or seizure may be issued a misdemeanor summons for a violation hereof and may be fined not more than five hundred dollars or sentenced to not more than forty hours of community service, or both. Upon successful completion of the community service or payment of the fine, or both, the arrest and conviction shall be set aside as provided for in Code of Criminal Procedure Article 894(B).

Acts 1991, No. 833, §1; Acts 1992, No. 197, §1; Acts 1993, No. 844, §1; Acts 1993, No. 1031, §1; Acts 1994, 3rd Ex. Sess., No. 25, §1; Acts 1994, 3rd Ex. Sess., No. 38, §1; Acts 1994, 3rd Ex. Sess., No. 107, §1; Acts 1999, No. 1236, §1.

Last edited:

Dogman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    "Dogman. . . what parish are you in? Just want to know what parish gave you a parish permit same day."

Caddo.

Background checked, fingerprinted, photographed and handed the card in less than an hour.

In regard to the prohibition on carrying of firearms in the "firearms free zone" of 1000 feet from a school campus...that's really an impossible accomplishment for some of us. I am surrounded by schools in my neighborhood--school grounds, school playgrounds, school parking lots, school athletic fields and church school grounds. They face most streets in every direction around where I live. According to this law, I wouldn't be able to get the paper in the morning or take the dog for a walk in the evening without breaking the law. I suppose I could be arrested for using a gun to defend myself from an attack on the public sidewalk in front of my house and then be jailed for "not less than one year".

Don't you just love how the politicians write laws and make them impossible to obey?

And then, of course, they throw this in: "E. Lack of knowledge that the prohibited act occurred on or within one thousand feet of school property shall not be a defense." That really jacks me. They have multitudes of courts, thousands of lawyers and judges and volumes of legal documents that debate what laws mean but we common folks are expected to know more than any of them.

One thousand feet. Take your tape measure with you when you're out for a walk.

The Federal law on schools and firearms, as the ATF reports it, is here: http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5310-1.pdf

Apparently the ATF recognizes permits issued by the State or local political subdivision and states it is not a violation of the Federal law if you are legally licensed to possess. Louisiana law doesn't appear to have this provision.

Last edited:

tea333

Dysfunctional Vet
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I just renewed my Caddo Parish concealed weapons permit. Here is what the handout the CCW Permit office gave me along with my new permit:

Even with a parish concealed weapons permit, you are still forbidden to carry a firearm into any of the following:

1.) ANY law enforcement office, station, or building.

2.) ANY detention facility, prison, or jail.

3.) ANY federal, state, city or parish properties! (IE: Post Offices, court houses, libraries, parks, etc.)

4.) ANY polling place.

5.) ANY Bank or Credit Union.

6.) ANY state hospital.

7.) ANY meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision.

8.) ANY place where a public notice is posted prohibiting firearms!

9.) ANY state hospital.

10.) ANY portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except when the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearms as lawful baggage.

11.) ANY church, synagogue, mosque, or other similar place of worship.

12.) ANY parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governental entity.

13.) ANY alcohol beverage outlet where alcohol is sold for sonsumption on the premises! (IE: bars, pubs, clubs, etc.)

14.) ANY school campus, bus or school board property! (IE: football stadiums, gymnasiums, etc.)

Source: U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and Louisiana Revised Statute 40:1379. S.N.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I just renewed my Caddo Parish concealed weapons permit. Here is what the handout the CCW Permit office gave me along with my new permit:

Even with a parish concealed weapons permit, you are still forbidden to carry a firearm into any of the following:

3.) ANY federal, state, city or parish properties! (IE: Post Offices, court houses, libraries, parks, etc.)

4.) ANY polling place.

6.) ANY state hospital.

9.) ANY state hospital.

10.) ANY portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except when the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearms as lawful baggage.

12.) ANY parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governental entity.

13.) ANY alcohol beverage outlet where alcohol is sold for sonsumption on the premises! (IE: bars, pubs, clubs, etc.)

14.) ANY school campus, bus or school board property! (IE: football stadiums, gymnasiums, etc.)

Source: U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and Louisiana Revised Statute 40:1379. S.N.

They can't ban you from places not listed in the LA revised statute or federal law.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel

4.) ANY polling place.

6.) ANY state hospital.

9.) ANY state hospital.

OK, I understand that they don't want you carrying into a State hospital so they listed it twice, is but what's with the ban on Banks and Credit Unions? There's no such ban with the State permit nor pemitless Open Carry. I open carry in Hancock Bank branches regularly. Panks are private property, not governmental type buildings. They shouldn't have nay thing to say about whether you carry there or not. That's up to the bank management.

tea333

Dysfunctional Vet
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    The xeroxed document I received listed state hospitals twice but I thought it was only a mistake on their part. This paperwork given to me by the Caddo Parish Sheriff's Office Permit Division was all that I received and what I posted here was a verbatum copy. Any further questions can probably be answered by the Caddo Parish Sheriff's Office, Permits division at (318) 681-0657. As a rule I go by what's posted at the LSP website and then add a touch of common sense.

Top Bottom