PMAG covers, do you use them?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    I have about 8 pmags and am wondering how necessary the covers are? What exactly are they for? To me, is seems as though it would be one more thing in the way for the SHTF cenario, but for range use, are they to prevent dust?

On this note, how many people here actually use them?

***I put this in ammo/reloading because I didn't find a better place for this and didn't want to clog up off-topic. Mods, please move if necessary.***

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    I use them for the ones I keep loaded. The ones I have in my "bob" dont have them as I dont want to have to remove them before I jam them into my gun. I rotate them occasionally to help preserve the life of my feed lips, although it is probably unnecessary.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    any fix for that?

download to 29 or 28. PMAGS are designed to hold a full 30 with none of the fabled spring wear and such. However, in order to more easily and securely facilitate a bolt closed reload, it is pretty standard to load all mags to 28 to be sure they seat when iserted on a closed bolt. I would say with PMAGS, 29 would be enough.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    FWIW, never had a problem at any match or in practice with reloads with fully loaded PMags on either of my ARs. As always, YMMV.

Yeah, and you probably never will. It is one of those wartime things that gets carried over.

It is a little tougher to cram a fully loaded mag on a closed bolt, but according to the guy that invented them, PMAGS are specifically designed with a little extra play in them to facilitate this. That said, those in an "operational capacity" still tend to download to make absolutely sure.

However, as you have stated, those of us not in combat running PMAGS should have no problem with a 30 round. I ran 30 rounds in my PMAGS for the class, and I had no problems also.

However, if you want you covers to fit, you may have to download or cram that bad boy ob there. It is simply catching both extremes of manufaturing tolerances. Try switching the covers around too to maybe get the tolerances to work in your favor.

Top Bottom